Leaders revealed

Actually I'm thinking it's possible that Poland (Jadwiga) and Spain (Isabella) may end up in Vanilla anyway. Ed / Firaxis said that there were 18 civilizations in the base game at launch which is no longer true as the Aztecs are part of the Vanilla line-up which brings the total civilization number to 19. I don't count them as a DLC due to the fact that they are being shipped with the vanilla base game and are open from day one if you pre-order or three months down the road if you don't pre-order. So it's possible that they could add in one more civilization / two more leaders before launch. The Civlopedia may not be entirely up to date as the game build is still a work in progress with bugs and missing elements.

That and I'm very confused on why Greece would be the only civilization out of a total of nineteen that makes it into vanilla with two leaders.

Ed said 18 leaders in base game actually, so there is less wiggle room. I can't for the life of me see why they would change that to give us Poland and Spain DLC content for free after already announcing that. I think 2K would crucify them. We know the civs and leaders in base game now and with just 2 months left it is not gunna change

Hoping for Friedrich II for Germany's second leader and not Bismarck... finally a "poets and thinkers" approach.

The core civilization abilities will stay, so in any case Germany will remain industrial/militaristic civ, even if it receive another leader.

The core civilization abilities will stay, so in any case Germany will remain industrial/militaristic civ, even if it receive another leader.

It'll keep the Hansa district, the U boot, 1 extra district than population allows.

But it'll lose the additional military policy slot and the bonus against city state units.

So combine those bonuses to districts with a bonus great person card and an adjacency bonus for theatre districts or something and you have your poets and thinkers germany under fritz

I wonder if Barbarossa's bonus against city state units also works when a suzerain is in command of them (having payed a city state to temporary use them).

It'll keep the Hansa district, the U boot, 1 extra district than population allows.

But it'll lose the additional military policy slot and the bonus against city state units.

So combine those bonuses to districts with a bonus great person card and an adjacency bonus for theatre districts or something and you have your poets and thinkers germany under fritz

That is what I imagined.

Some people are outraged that civ`s like the Zulu, the Incas and the Persians aren`t in the game, while Norway is. It makes perfectly sense to me as the Persians ar much more worth as a billable DLC later on, Norway wouldn`t......

While I find the whole debate about history being "eurocentric" laughable, I am dissappointed with the vainilla civ rooster, because yes, some minor European civs such as Norway or Sparta have took precedence over much more relevant, potentially funny game wise non European ones such as the Mongols, Ottomans or freaking Persia, for crap's shake.

Seriously, these are glaring omissions, in the same level as, say, excluding Spain in order to cram the Iroquois in the game (ahem). So nope, I am not happy with this reveal. The only thing that I liked is Summeria in the core game, which ought to be a staple in a game series called civilization, and the possibility of civs having multiple leaders and thus, greatly changing their flavour (Pericles Athenian Greece VS Gorgo Spartan Greece).

That being said, I am really curious to see which 20 civ would civfanatic dwellers choose for t heir ideal initial rooster, but thats a topic more fitted for the "suggestion" forum.

Some people are outraged that civ`s like the Zulu, the Incas and the Persians aren`t in the game, while Norway is. It makes perfectly sense to me as the Persians ar much more worth as a billable DLC later on, Norway wouldn`t......
I don't think that'd matter much, as (almost) everyone will be buying it all anyway.

I think Norway would be an entirely marketable DLC civ, especially if they're portrayed as the "viking civ". For that matter, so would France, Germany or Greece (while the US and Russia would be great civs in a late-game focused expansion). My frustration isn't that Norway specifically is being added. It's that, in addition to adding new European civs, the developers are treating a large number of existing ones as sacrosanct but allowing prominent civs almost anywhere else in the world to be excluded based on space (or DLC) considerations.

Ed said 18 leaders in base game actually, so there is less wiggle room. I can't for the life of me see why they would change that to give us Poland and Spain DLC content for free after already announcing that. I think 2K would crucify them. We know the civs and leaders in base game now and with just 2 months left it is not gunna change

Even if Ed said 18 leaders in the base game, that statement is already broken by the fact that the revealed leader list has 20 leaders on it. So either A) the number of leaders in the base game has changed since Ed made that comment or B) Firaxis has more leaders in the current build than there are going to be at launch.

Even if Ed said 18 leaders in the base game, that statement is already broken by the fact that the revealed leader list has 20 leaders on it. So either A) the number of leaders in the base game has changed since Ed made that comment or B) Firaxis has more leaders in the current build than there are going to be at launch.

Could anyone find exact quote?

Anyway, we have the list of civilizations and leaders available on launch and that's 18 civs / 19 leaders + Aztecs for preorder.

It is 18 civs in the base game. The Aztecs are bonus with pre-order. The other leaders may be dlc or alternative...

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

I don't know about that. I'm Iranian-American and the Vikings are always my favorite Civ to play. In fact, when civ comes out, it will definitely the first one I try. With respect to marketability, I looked up the populations of the two groups. The populations of Scandinavians and Americans/Canadians claiming some Scandinavian descent totals about 36 million. The Iranian population is over 77 million and Iranian diaspora (most likely to play Civ as opposed to in Iran) is estimated at 5 million. Given government restrictions in Iran, I don't see Civ selling there. So you have 36 million vs 5 million. Unless with the ending of sanctions, someone in Firaxis is hoping that a big featured Persian DLC could be marketed in Iran. If that were to happen, given that the majority of the population is below 30, they love the internet and technology and their unemployment rates...Civ would sell there like nobody's business IMO. But given today's tense political climate involving Iran and how its become Hollywood's favorite villain (i.e 300), this is extremely unlikely.

All I know is there better be an aggressive spearman/pikeman civ.

Scythia is aggro cavalry
Aztec is aggro warrior/swords

We have a rainforest civ (Brazil), a coastal civ (England) and a desert civ (civ). We need a forest civ, a hill civ, a mountain civ, a grassland civ, a plains civ, and a tundra civ.

So will Norway be the tundra civ?

Norway could be the aggressive mid-gamer if the get the berserker back as part of Harald's leader bonus.

All I know is there better be an aggressive spearman/pikeman civ.

Scythia is aggro cavalry
Aztec is aggro warrior/swords

We have a rainforest civ (Brazil), a coastal civ (England) and a desert civ (civ). We need a forest civ, a hill civ, a mountain civ, a grassland civ, a plains civ, and a tundra civ.

So will Norway be the tundra civ?

Another way to sort civs is per unique district, if all districts are replaced by UD at some point. I'm quite hopeful that Campus, Commerce and Holy Site will be replaced for a civ.

Industrial - Germany
Harbor - England
Entertainment - Brazil
Culture - Greece
Aqueduct - Romans
Campus -
Commerce -
Holy Site -
Encampment -
Neighborhood - (probably none, but India might be an option)
City Center - (probably none, but Sumer might be an option)
Airport - (probably none)
Spaceport - (probably none)

We've already seen the Stepwell improvement, which is almost certainly India's. So take them off that list. I would also speculate that Sumer gets a unique Holy site.

Top Bottom