Leaderscreens - Observations

Kimuyama

Prince
Today I watched the film Apocalypto, and I noticed, during the sacrificing scene, that one of the background characters, specifically the unnamed Mayan King bore a striking resemblance to our very own Pacal.

Evidence, painstakingly assembled in paint (how I loathe it):

Specifically note the facial structure, his "nose shield", Placement of facial tattoos, and his piercings, body tattoos, not to forget, the most striking of all, the square Headdress/crown, I could not find one similar when googling "mayan headdress", "mayan crown", "pacal", "pacal headdress" and "pacal crown". Though Pacal's crown is somewhat smaller and his overall color scheme is different, Pacal's greens and reds versus the King's blues and blacks, the tattoos are of the same colors (maybe it's body paint?).

Also, as noted by other members of these forums, the concept art of Gustav II Adolf (no in game versions has been released yet) seems to be based on another swedish king, namely Erik XIV:

Note the beards of Erik XIV vs that of Gustav Adolf underneath him, and to "Gustav Adolf" in the game, also the armor. However, his mustache and "thing over the shoulder" seems to be taken from the actual Gustav Adolf

What do ou think? And what pieces do you suppose the other leaders are based on? Mainly the ones in the expansion, but also in vanilla?

I know one thing the Mayan societies were not conquered very easily it took almost two centuries. Sometimes being disunified helps a great deal.

And of COURSE I had to misspell the title -__-
And the factual error that they're technically leaderscreens, not heads

Moderator Action: Fixed.
If again something like this happens, then don't hesitate to notify the moderators about it via the report post function (the button to the left of each post).

Ontopic: Well...they have to get the inspiration somewhere.
And better a good copy than a bad original. At least it's not a 1 to 1 copy, like for some of the buttons and other stuff, so there's also creativity in there.

I gotta admit, Pacal looks like a scary bad ass as opposed to a child with really awful hairstyle from Civ 4.. yikes.

William of Orange's picture is interesting to me

His general look appears to be accurate...

And the background seems derived from the paintings of Johannes Vermeer:

Which I find very artistically neat. It's like how Civ 5's George Washington is visually based on Gilbert Stuart's famous portrait of him

It's worth pointing out that Gustav still has his mustache, so the beard is a cross between the two. Given the sash, I think he's supposed to be Gustav.

You gotta remember, that not everybody has a good source of a picture, I'm pretty sure the Native Americans (Incas, Mayans, Aztecs etc) didn't have oil paintings, and had only stone carvings most likely.

Source like Washington, Gustav, Elizabeth etc, who are from Medieval age and further have a more reliable source.

Notice how the painting in the in-game Washington's background is of the Civ 5 Oracle wonder. :)

A little nit-pick, the swedish king that is not Gustav II Adolf is actually Erik XIV, not Gustav XIV. :)

A little nit-pick, the swedish king that is not Gustav II Adolf is actually Erik XIV, not Gustav XIV. :)

Well, the other painting is, at least. I maintain that he's a combination between the two people. Considering it's literally his facial hair that he has in common with Erik, which isn't exactly something that didn't change over time.

Haile Selassie's leaderscreen is quite clearly based on this photograph, taken in the Jubilee palace in Addis Ababa.

Spoiler :

As with Gustav Adolf and Washington, they also make him look a bit younger.

Nice pictures guys :D. I kind of wish Palenque's features were more defined though in the leader screen :p

Top Bottom