Legalism and Mud Pyramid Mosques

Djinn8

Chieftain
What is the requirment for getting a free mosque?

I a recent game I built four cities - three had shrines and monuments and the fourth had only a monument. When I took legalism I got three mosques, but not one for the shrineless city. After building the shrine I still didn't get a free mosque which came as a suprise. Instead I got a free ampitheater when I researched the tech.

On that note, what would happen if I had a shrine and a monument in a city and the techs for both mosques and ampitheaters available. Which building takes preference when taking legalism?

This is kind of similar to the Wat UB for Siam; the base building for the Mud Pyramid (Temple) doesn't provide culture but the base one does. (Note that "mosque" is poor short hand for Mud Pyramid Mosque because there's also a religious building named "mosque" which is available from one of the religious follower beliefs.)

I think the Amphitheater has more culture per turn than a Mud Pyramid; and if so that would give Amphitheater higher priority if both were available.
So to get Mud Pyramids, have Shrines & Monuments already built, the tech for Temples but don't have the tech for Ampitheater.

(Getting Wats is similar, have Monuments & Libraries already built; have Education, but don't have the tech for Amphitheater.)

u need a shrine to build a temple/ mud pyramid. that is why ur city with no shrine didnt get a free one.
mud pyramids have priority over Amphitheater.

This is kind of similar to the Wat UB for Siam; the base building for the Mud Pyramid (Temple) doesn't provide culture but the base one does. (Note that "mosque" is poor short hand for Mud Pyramid Mosque because there's also a religious building named "mosque" which is available from one of the religious follower beliefs.)

I think the Amphitheater has more culture per turn than a Mud Pyramid; and if so that would give Amphitheater higher priority if both were available.
So to get Mud Pyramids, have Shrines & Monuments already built, the tech for Temples but don't have the tech for Ampitheater.

(Getting Wats is similar, have Monuments & Libraries already built; have Education, but don't have the tech for Amphitheater.)

So it's based on the culture output? If you had +2 culture from temples as part of your religion, would Mud Pyramid Mosques take precedence over monuments?

Hey I know this one. Although you can refer to [G&K] Tradition Policy in the War Academy subforum of Strategy & Tips for this.

Legalism calculates whatever is the building that provides the most culture for the least hammers, given the prerequisites for that building. This is a simple precedence chain up through the tech tree for most civs, but UBs change it up. Legalism will lock in a single building at the time it is picked, even if you don't have the technology, but, it will favour an applicable culture building for which you do have the tech rather than not.

Since you were able to build the MPMs but did not have Drama and Poetry, those were provided to the three cities. But the other city could not have a mosque because there was no shrine. Instead an ampitheater was calculated, which arrived with Drama and Poetry.

Mud Pyramid Mosques have less culture output than Ampitheaters and the same cost, so they have less priority than Ampitheaters. This contradicts the explicit list from http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=482527#Legalism but is in line with the rule given there.

So the rule is, if you have the technology, and the prereqs, get the one of those with most culture over hammers. If you don't have the technology for any building, get the one with the most culture over hammers (when you obtain that technology). If you don't have the prereqs, then your city doesn't have a monument and so a monument shows up.

I just tested some stuff out. It seems that the bonus from the Choral Music religious belief isn't taken into consideration when taking legalism. It doesn't boost the priority of MPM or allow other civs to get free temples. That's kind of a bummer.

Otherwise it seems to be as Horseshoe and joncnunn say. Ampitheaters take precedence.

Thanks for the answers.

Does it really work with wats?

It works with wats (I remember getting one for free in my cap once), but for them you need to have amphitheaters too. It's because you can't get to education without Drama.

It works with wats (I remember getting one for free in my cap once), but for them you need to have amphitheaters too. It's because you can't get to education without Drama.

Oops, I forgot that Drama was a prereq to Education.

I just tested some stuff out. It seems that the bonus from the Choral Music religious belief isn't taken into consideration when taking legalism. It doesn't boost the priority of MPM or allow other civs to get free temples. That's kind of a bummer.

Otherwise it seems to be as Horseshoe and joncnunn say. Amphitheatres take precedence.

Thanks for the answers.

no mpm have priority, u just NEED to have shrines. mpm dosent need a "boost" because it has priority on the list

u dont want to get them with legalism anyway, as dont cost maintenance already with the main benefit of legalism being the no maintenance cost

no mpm have priority, u just NEED to have shrines. mpm dosent need a "boost" because it has priority on the list

u dont want to get them with legalism anyway, as dont cost maintenance already with the main benefit of legalism being the no maintenance cost

What list are you talking about? In the test I ran I was been given free ampitheaters from legalism when both they and MPM were available (shirnes and monuments present and 5 followers of Choral Music in the city)

I've read somewhere it's the :c5culture: per turn/ :c5production: cost that decides what you're going to get through legalism, if several options are available. If that's so, then amphitheters should take priority over both MPM and Wats, which seems to be confirmed in pratice.

Top Bottom