Let's Discuss Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. that is quite possibly the best laugh I've had all month!

WTG on finding that YouTube gem!

I'm from Poland. I dont want Poland to be included in Civ, and I don't think it should be. Believe me, not all poles think their nation is or was among the most important world nations and not all vote for nationalists :)

I'm from Poland. I dont want Poland to be included in Civ, and I don't think it should be. Believe me, not all poles think their nation is or was among the most important world nations and not all vote for nationalists :)

Most of us know that, but thanks for chiming in to remind those that have forgotten. Nothing is wrong with Poland, just a few of your countrymen getting a little out of hand... I'm from the USA (nation of idiots), believe me, I know what it feels like...

@MrHeathen: lol. :) I didn't think so, but the ones who post on these threads usually have Nationalist sentiments. Like I said in a previous post, having pride doesn't bother me. But Poland is a stretch for this game. So is Italy and a large percentage of the nations in today's world. There are games out there that have all the U.N. nations (like 150+) that you can be. You'll find how crappy and no-so-fun these games are.

Try playing SuperPower (I or II) as anyone but America and tell me how fun it is. Puke, and then come back to Civ. I literally destroyed the CD before throwing it away.

I can also reach back into Italian history (not Roman, but Italy as a nation) and find a number of deeds and numerous famous people that I could put forth as reasons to make Italy herself a playable civ, but the arguments would not be justified. They wouldn't show that Italy deserves status as EMPIRE in a game about major imperial powers.

I could do the same for my country, Brazil. We fought in Italy at WWII, we fought some regional wars, and well, 'thelastone' says Poland was never invaded by 1 single nation - well Brazil was never invaded, and we're 500 y old! Take that! (actually, the dutch invaded a couple of our coastal cities for a couple years, but lets selectivelly forget that shall we). But blitzkrieg1980 argument is perfect for this situation here, EVERY contry has a very detailed, colorfull history, but some (most) just dosent fit in this game.

...and we have never been invaded succesfully by only 1 country...

That doesn't matter much in Civ. I was bragging to Shaka about that and he said, "I know. That's why I brought Napoleon and Cathy along."

'thelastone' says Poland was never invaded by 1 single nation - well Brazil was never invaded, and we're 500 y old!
Um... did he forget entirely about WWII? Or was that a big fascist lie to propagate Hitler's policies in Germany? Were all the invasions one big lie? Was there such a thing as Vichy French? Is America really a global superpower?! :crazyeye: SEE EDIT BELOW

EDIT:TheLastOne said they were only invaded by 1. So I guess he remembers WWII. Please ignore the initial paragraph, but the rest of my statement still stands

Oh, and Poland was officially a nation in the mid 900's according to certain less-than-trustworthy internet sources (wiki). So they've been around for a while. But um, what about Napoleon? Prussia? Let's not forget about USSR until 1991. How is this guy TheLastOne serious?

Also...invaded successfully by 1 country? Is he refering to Germany here? Probably... I'm pretty sure Napolean successfully invaded Poland on his way to the Ukraine, what about that? Man, I'd forget pretty quick to if my country was conquered by FRANCE... (j/k, i dont have anything against France either im merely joking).

haha. Good point. I can't believe I forgot about Napoleon in my above post. let me edit it.... there we go!

I'm actually embarrassed that the USA calls itself "America" as if we are the only nation on the continent.

Well, there's not really much else we could call ourselves. We were the first of the European colonies to form an independent country (of 13 separate states). Hence, the United States of America (itself a European name of the continent). The term American, in reference ot the citizens of the US is simply shorter than "a citizen of the United States of America."

I do agree with you, though, that we aren't the only ones with a right to be called "Americans" any more than (say) the Germans could be the only ones with a right to call themselves "Europeans". On the other hand, like I said, what else would we call ourselves?

Marc

As a person of Polish descent, I have to say, I really don't care if Poland is included in Civ or not. My computer can barely handle playing 9 or 10 civs at once, and I see no reason to add more until I can play everyone at the same time without waiting 10 minutes between turns.

Marc

Hey, dont everyone quote me! I didnt reread the entire topic to reply here, so maybe he said something different! Let me check.
and we have never been invaded succesfully by only 1 country. the two times poland ceased to exist in history was 1. The partisans which was a group effort of russia, prussia and Austria. 2. In WW2 when we were invaded by both the soviets and Germany.

There you go. But you know what?
That doesn't matter much in Civ."

Vietnam has a better history of resisting foreign invasion and i dont think we'll ever see them on Civ V or the next xpac 'Civ IV: Before the Club'.

Well, there's not really much else we could call ourselves. We were the first of the European colonies to form an independent country (of 13 separate states). Hence, the United States of America (itself a European name of the continent). The term American, in reference ot the citizens of the US is simply shorter than "a citizen of the United States of America."

I do agree with you, though, that we aren't the only ones with a right to be called "Americans" any more than (say) the Germans could be the only ones with a right to call themselves "Europeans". On the other hand, like I said, what else would we call ourselves?

Marc

touche. United Statesians sounds pretty stupid. I'm sure we could come up with something else though... Canadiens are probably over there say "no no no, I am NOT American."

Don't know if thelastone was joking but Poland didn't exist for a big period of more than a century split up between Russia,Austria and Prussia the so called "big partitions of Poland".It's geographic position between the 2 monster (Germany and Russia) or even 3 monster(Germany,Austria-Hungary and Russia) has made Poland one of the european country with the unluckiest history.

TheLastOne36 : why do you need to put canada down to make poland look important?

if you can't make a case for it's inclusion based on it's own merit then obviously you don't have much of a case at all.

lol! I like people to know that I'm american when I'm abroad. Then they can see how different my ideals and beliefs are from their stereotype of United Statesians ;). I like being an American who can agree with many Europeans views. I find many flabbergasted! lol

@Seras (above): He doesn't have a point. Even a fellow Pole TMarcl agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom