Let's Learn Civilization V

Okay, time to see if:
1) I'm strong enough to take the Ottomans
2) I can avoid being denounced by everyone as a warmonger
3) I can survive other surprises

Edit: The Ottomans are tough. I fought with them more on than off for over an hour. They have some serious units and I could only hold them off, not make headway on their city. It seems I have no choice to concentrate my sciences into the stronger military units and hope others don't leapfrog me. The others don't seem too upset that I'm after them however I haven't got their city yet...

Live Stream Channel

Last edited:
My obsession with the Ottomans will continue. It's grow or die; I must find a way to take his city on my border.

EDIT: Just could not crack the Ottomans and fell completely behind. Conceded as there was no way to win. Immortal did me in :(

Live Stream Channel

Last edited:
I was playing some Vox Populi and testing out Gazebo's 43 Civ Mod for it. It was going really well but I hit a CTD @ turn 148, so that match is down or on hold until a fix is identified. But I was having so much fun, I'm going to restart it minus VP.

I am going to help the Celt's achieve world domination. Going to play with all 43 of the vanilla civs plus the 20 City State on the YNAEMP Giant Earth map. First priority of business it take down the English, own the British Island (to be Celtic Islands) and discover North America and get a foothold. I'm sure the Iroquois and the American's are going to give me trouble, but just need to find me a nice piece of land....

EDIT: Was getting used to VP and reliazing that that game gives you so much more to do in the early part. Was trying to grow fast to take the territory of Great Britain prior to England growing too fast, but I just couldn't get everything done as fast as I would have liked. I think it's moving along nicely, a little skirmish with England.

Live Stream Here

Last edited:
Was away on business, played a Siam game on Emperor in Rainforest. Science was great and I started to run away with it. The AI didn't like me but too afraid to attack me. Ended up getting a diplomatic victory as a became allies with all the city states. Finished in 1945.

I think I'm done with Emperor, time for Immortal...

Got the Civ V bug again. Played 2 games to get back in the groove. A Huns Prince level game G-Minor CXLXIV with a science victory and Portugal King game @ Epic speed on a Huge map with a satisfying diplomacy victory.

I've now decided it is time to really learn Civ V and get an immortal and Deity victories and learn the skills to achieve them.

Currently in a playthough with Poland on Immortal on a Tiny Pangaea map. Only 4 civs but practicing my domination techniques.

I've managed to clear out one civ, now trying to strat on how to take out the next 2.

Edit: well, I actually only took a capital...Still haven't cleaned Spain out yet...I may be getting a little ahead of myself...lol

been watching and reading lots of guides. I am determined to do this!

My first Immortal in the bag! :) ughhh, was Polynesia...Small islands....:blush:

It's still immortal, no?!

So the question is, do I use a similar island setup with a science civ and go for my 1st deity attempt? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I tried Deity with Polynesia small islands. Figured I would use the weak Naval AI to my advantage. Had 4 good cities, France came in with a million ships and wiped me out. Everyone had tons of ships, I clearly doing something wrong. Catching up on science but but did have enough army....

Then I tried a Babylon Pangea Map. I felt so small but kept good relations, took on capital warring with another and just never could get the science rolling. I can't figure out how to get my population growing. Lost 2 cities and kept sucking up to the guy with all the money and the cities. Made it to the end where he won a science victory.

Now trying a Babylon game again but look for a food start, with a focus on leveling up my bowmen first. Did that, scout saw Attila coming. I had 3-5 units and started my defence. Was going well I thought and then a carpet of battlerams and swordmen came my way. I kept fighting but eventually they took my capital. CRAP!!
I figure that I didn't have a defensible location for my city.

Starting another, good food start, not very defensible and I seem to be surrounded by Civs on 3 sides. I farm some barbs now and getting ready for the next attack!
I think I need help, playing Deity if really tough. Need science, need army, need food, need production...Everything at the same time....

Last edited:
Top Bottom