[MAP] Let's play map questions and help

Alfapiomega

Chieftain
Hello everyone, I go by the handle of Alfapiomega and some years ago I did a let's play of Civ 4 CtC on my channel. I would like to do another one now but I have a couple of map related questions I was hoping you guys would be able to answer and help me with. Sorry if parts are of topic but I think as most is map related this is the best thread to put it in:

a) Map and game performance
I just got a new computer few months ago, 16GB RAM, good graphics card and high end CPU. How is the performance of the game now? I would like to play on a bigger map with more civs but before on my older with the i7-3300K I really quickly got to a big slug even though at first the performance was stellar. I have an i9-9900K but most of the problems I remember were from the single thread usage of the game. Did it get better over the years or is it still suggested to play on a smaller map with less civs?

b) Map type
I would like to make the let's play interesting so I was thinking of playing on a hard map - something like vast desert dotted with places of relative richness. Think Africa and the Nile river, Oasis here and there, rich coastline and large mountains with a bit of lush lands with vast areas of nothing to simulate a bit of a control over the world. Civilisations would clash and expand through "prepared" areas around the areas that are useful and not just blob aimlessly everywhere. Would that work with the current AI? Or would you suggest a different type of map that is interesting though experiment?
I am asking this specifically because the last one was played on islands and many people mentioned that this really takes the AI down a lot so I am trying to get some ideas upfront.

c) Request for help
This is actually a plea for help. I could prepare such a map myself but I would really like it if someone else made it in cooperation with me. It would benefit the community too as it could be published for others (mine would hardly be worth anything as I have no experienced in Civ IV mapmaking) and it would allow me to play "blind" without knowing where to expand and how to play. So if anyone would like to have a go at it it would be great. I was always a history and cartography nut so I think it could be fun for both of us discussing it. I can't offer much in return apart from reciprocity, credit and hopefully an interesting let's play. The last one lasted for over 2416 turns (89 episodse) and ended only because of technical difficulties on my side. But maybe we can think of something I can do in turn.

Anyways, any other advice or ideas are welcome! I plan to play on marathon with upped speed of research, tech diffusion on and strict culture rules to make the game slower and more even (I hate tanks vs. archers) so it should be just a chill, build your own beautiful kingdom and fight of the barbarians scenario :)

To answer question A - turn times are faster but memory and MAF crashes are still a problem.

Thanks, man.

So is there a consensus on maximum size/amount of civs?
a) You have to say how fast you need turn times to be.

b) the AI will have more trouble with a 'hard' map than you will, generally making the game easier for you. In particular, I love terrain damage, but the AI has no clue about it.

a) You have to say how fast you need turn times to be.

b) the AI will have more trouble with a 'hard' map than you will, generally making the game easier for you. In particular, I love terrain damage, but the AI has no clue about it.

I am not really concerned about the turn times honestly as long as the game remains stable. I plan to play on Marathon speed as I did last time and do sort of an "overview" more than let's playing everything. However I want the game to remain playable and avoid crashes or encountering bugs as was mentioned above.

I love terrain damage, but the AI has no clue about it.
They have a clue... just not a real appropriate sense of how to manage it beyond just getting off of it if they need to heal. It tends to screw up their larger strategic plans rather easily and it's very difficult to tell it how to get around that, particularly when military objectives are in the middle of a wide swath of damaging territory.

They have a clue... just not a real appropriate sense of how to manage it beyond just getting off of it if they need to heal. It tends to screw up their larger strategic plans rather easily and it's very difficult to tell it how to get around that, particularly when military objectives are in the middle of a wide swath of damaging territory.

What exactly is the damaging terrain? I am not aware of what that is or I do not think I encountered it in my playthrough at all.

Hi Alfapiomega,
I heard you were interested in making a map. I previously have made an all inclusive space map before found here in the link below:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-space-map-available.651159/

Coincidentally today, I was interested in making a new space map. If I do go through with it, I plan on redesigning the Earth map and leave everything else pretty much as is. If this fits your interest, is this something you would like to benefit from working together? Please let me know how you feel.

Sincerely,
cboldt2

Hi Alfapiomega,
I heard you were interested in making a map. I previously have made an all inclusive space map before found here in the link below:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-space-map-available.651159/

Coincidentally today, I was interested in making a new space map. If I do go through with it, I plan on redesigning the Earth map and leave everything else pretty much as is. If this fits your interest, is this something you would like to benefit from working together? Please let me know how you feel.

Sincerely,
cboldt2

Hey man, thanks! Dropped you a message :)

Top Bottom