Limiting Stacks of Doom

SilencerNate

Chieftain
I've been playing FFH now for a few weeks, and love the mod. However, even with a decent gaming rig, on huge maps with 20+ AIs, the thousands of units nearly bring me to a halt, and I'm not even going to comment on multiplayer out of syncs.

I'm beginning to believe the problem lies in a combination of two elements.

1) The AI moves together
2) The AI builds zergs

If you play vanilla civ, then FFH, one thing I noticed was that the AI worked as a human player might. In effect, after the beginning of a new turn, within a few seconds, it would move its units, and operate normally. In FFH, I noticed that instead, the game will freeze momentarily while all AIs move as a single force, after which the human(s) may move.

If these changes were intentional, I'm curious why they were changed. Otherwise, it would be great to have them reverted to vanilla.

Secondly, we've all seen the massive stacks of doom on defense. I understand the creators wanted to prevent player-side SoDs, but I ran into an AI city awhile back with 177 units defending. 77 units I feel would be borderline too much, but 177 is just impossible to imagine. Worse yet, they make cities nigh impossible to conquer.

I assume that short of modifying the AI behavior a lot, which could be a lot of work, there's no simple fix for curing the AI creating hundreds of units. However, a search did turn up a possible solution so that might curb the problem.

JUnitSpace
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=276637

In a nutshell, it limits the amount of units on a tile at any given time. Higher limits can be set for certain conditions, such as tile has a city. So defense of cities could be set higher, as they should be for example.

I would think that stacks of 10 could be a cap, and 20 maximum for cities. Note that the mod does not affect AI behavior at all, so the zerg army would still be present, but instead of being in a city fortified, the AI would be forced to move it elsewhere. I assume it would either roam defend its borders, or it would act more aggressively, and use the excess units to attack.

Either way, it would lower the overall amount of units moving each turn, and would encourage smaller, higher promoted strike forces rather than hundreds of units clogging bandwidth.

I'd love if someone could incorporate some of these changes into FFH. If the creators wanted to go a different path, this could be a great modmod. At the very least, although I have 0 experience doing any mod work myself, if someone could point me into the direction how I could make these changes myself, I would do the legwork myself.

that honestly sounds like a great idea =3

i knw i like to play with around 20+ AI's and its gotten so bad that it will just freeze for about 10min and im like x_X (also fighting sheelba doesnt help lol. she builds like 500 bloody units herself then u got 19more civs)
-.-

Ten or twenty units is way too low for FFH2. You'll get into serious problems with trying to build stacks that have good synergies, defensive units, artillery and the ability to summon, etc...

A hundred might be more in order. Or, limit it to the conventional display's capability on the unit roster which is something like 114/144/124 or something like that. The most I've ever had was 212 in a stack, IIRC.

Also, think about how the AI might try to handle it. If it is doing a lot of summoning, things might get unmanageable very quickly. How tile limits would work with AI summoning/AI movements might be problematic.

I do agree that huge SODs are a bit too much for the game to handle and some sort of workaround needs to be done to limit them. But... I like MY SODs... :) I just don't like seeing a stack of Pyre Zombies...

Top Bottom