Linux vs Windows

Well, I hate computers crashing, freezing, and so (well, who doesn`t? ;) ). A fabric PC without any custom addition works obviously always fine with every version of Windows OS.
I have built up my PC myself though and that combination somehow wasn`t the stablest (even if at that moment, ~3 years ago it consisted of all the best hardware purchaseable at that moment). That brought me into testing out various OS`s.
Windows 98 was my old standard OS and that piece of **** crashed a half of the applications, froze for shorter or longer periods (6 or 55 seconds) and then went on - pretty irritating with phone-internet. Even after formatting and reinstalling windows the problems came back.
Quite soon I started with Linux. In double-mode first, An old Corel Linux 4.x IIRC. the LILO wasn`t able to overwrite win 98 though and starting from disk took too much time.
Then redhat 6 and later 7: Both unable to recognize my ISDN-modem and no linux drivers available. Bought a new modem - linux compatible - still, no work. Also here the LILO didn`t seem to work with win 98.
Mandrake 8.2 then - finally, a working LILO and even (sometimes) I was able to connect to internet. But after trying to update my files to newer versions of software the installation always got corrupted and I could not reinstall. Also, the thing even crashed (froze), sometimes, but still... Finally, after I had to replace my monitor, linux wasn`t able to recognize the refresh frequency anymore (older monitor). For windows at least I was able to change it manually, for Linux not (or I didn`t knew how).
Then I got Windows XP. And that darn thing, against all my negative expectations, even seemed to work! I had some small problems with networking but further it crashed just a few times in months! How hard I wanted to find other things wrong with it I couldn`t (except the prize obviously).
Well, that obviously ended the experimenting with linux for now. I was ready to take the harder usability of linux, to forget about using a lot of windows applications (hardly anything works with wine) and to invest in other hardware to become compatible with that OS but I never received in return what I wanted: stability.

A moving arguement from Kasperus to be sure :)

I guess that brings out the moral of this thread: Whatever works for you, is probably what you should use ;)

Sorry to all Linux-addicts, but WIN wins!
Linux is to hard to learn and it doesn't compensate the effort.
I like that you exist (to give Ms some feeling of competition), but I'll not use Linux in the next 10 years.

Face it: MS will have the BIG part of the cake for a loooooooong time.
And I'm an happy Ms/HP/Compaq costumer :D

I use both Windows XP and Linux Red Hat 7.2

Windows XP is the best windows ever: very, very stable.

Linux: Much more powerful that Windows if you know how to use it. I know all these shell utilities, the gcc-gdb, and so on :D

And all the free utilities that work well. Linux/UNIX has that going for it.

Top Bottom