List of AI Stupidities

Originally posted by Cunobelin Of Hippo
The AI can irrigate squares that are not adjacent to water! The AI can bribe units without using spies/dips! I hate the AI. I Kill the AI.

------------------
"I do not know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

- A. Einstein.

That is truly the solution:die!:

Originally posted by islandboy

Thoxic

I know what you mean! I REALLY hate that one. I'm in a game now where I'm flat out building SDI. But I can guarantee that the only cities that will get nuked will be miles from any AI and be the only 1 in a bunch that DOESN'T have the SDI built yet!:mad: I think the AI uses its knowledge of what I have where (since it IS the computer, after all) to blitz the unprotected cities. Talk about insider trading!!:lol: Don't foget tho, that a nuke DOES have a range of 16, and subs / carriers can carry them. So, it IS poss that the AI could park a sub or carrier of your shore somewhere and clobber a city well in-land. It still remains tho that the AI DOES know which of our cities are not defended - what a crock!

the AI does cheat, i had a city more than 30 squares or range, away from any water or AI city and they still managed to reach the city, and what a coincidence that city was the only city that didnt had a SDI

A HINT!

If you have 2 cities within 3 squares distance you only have to build an SDI and the 2 cities will be protected. The stupid AI will nuke the city that doesn't have SDI, and they will loose lots of nukes on that city (3 to 8 nukes in just one turn).
With no doubt, the AI is sometimes realy stupid!:lol:

Originally posted by duke o' york
I find it very very difficult to believe that you had a city that was not within 30 squares of any water.

He could have made his own map...

Originally posted by duke o' york
I find it very very difficult to believe that you had a city that was not within 30 squares of any water.

didnt u heard of the european map? especially in eastern russia or the himalayas... that part of very far from water...

I have heard of it - I live on it. :p

But that's not a proper map because you're using the fact that the map doesn't loop around. If it did, you'd find yourself very close to the Atlantic ;). Why would you want to have a custom map without water apart from discovering the hut pattern? Actually, you could set it up so that there was a single river in the centre and all civs were the same distance away and so you had to fight for the right to irrigate (as was never heard on any dancefloor ever).

Some people have mentioned that the AI can irrigate even without access to water and get annoyed by this...I say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander (you the human player being the gander). If you have a landlocked city with no water in sight, just automate your settler-the AI will take control of the settler-and the AI will irrigate without access to water. Just keep an eye on that settler to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. I usually let the settler build one irrigation square and then reactivate the unit. I will manually irrigate around that irrigation without the risk of having my settler building forts automatically around my city.

Sorry, but how do you automate your settler? There's no such option in the orders menu of my copy of Civ II. :confused:

""There's no such option in the orders menu of my copy of Civ II. ""

If you have the oldest version of civII classic, that option doesn't appear. Try searching for a patch in zip file on the civII cd (i think is something like civ2.72.zip). If you didn't find it you can find this file on the downloads section or even best, upgrade your civII classic version to fw.
fw version also allows you to play scenarios with events and have lot's of other things.

:confused: Has anyone ever noticed how AI units with a move rate of 2 or more sometimes go back and forth over 2 squares? I mean, why? Also, when u tell your units to go to nearest city (esp. ships), they just never go there! AAAAARGH! It does my head in.
Shame on you, AI:spank:

On a recent King game, my Dip walked into a size one Bab city (formerly a Viking city). For a price of 61 coins, I collected a chariot & two Dips, with a city to entertain them.:goodjob:

(I'm wondering btw if this is getting close to a very long thread...)

Mechanical_Animal said something on page 2 about barbarian triremes holding more than 2 units... I have never seen a barbarian trireme with two or less! They sometimes have 6 or more! All of their other ships, too, hold way more than they're supposed to. I always thought that they got an exception because their government was so unstable, the captians of the ships could get away with, say, tying men to the ship with string, dragging them in the water, etc. This would damage them, though...
Ah, well, that was my rationalization for the AI's cheating, there.

I also agree with whoever said that the barbarians wage a better war than the real civilizations... the only time I remember one of my own cities (not recently captured) falling to an enemy was when the enemy was barbarian. It was newly built and had only one unit in it.

Originally posted by seb144
Mechanical_Animal said something on page 2 about barbarian triremes holding more than 2 units... I have never seen a barbarian trireme with two or less! They sometimes have 6 or more! All of their other ships, too, hold way more than they're supposed to. I always thought that they got an exception because their government was so unstable, the captians of the ships could get away with, say, tying men to the ship with string, dragging them in the water, etc. This would damage them, though...
Ah, well, that was my rationalization for the AI's cheating, there.

I also agree with whoever said that the barbarians wage a better war than the real civilizations... the only time I remember one of my own cities (not recently captured) falling to an enemy was when the enemy was barbarian. It was newly built and had only one unit in it.

Yes, I have seen over-loaded ships also. May I ask what unit the barb who took your city was, what your unit was and whether you had the Great Wall (or if you did, was it still active or cancelled out?)?
I disagree about the barbs being better at war. I have seen them lose to an enemy's Warrior (!!!) unit using no less than four (!!!) CRUSADERS! To this day I have never come up with a rational explanation as to how the Warrior survived.:confused:

The unit that took my city was, I belive, either a crusader or a knight, and I had two musketeers. The barbarians had about 5 crusaders and knights in their trireme, and the last one got my city. I did not have city walls or the great wall. They didn't capture it though, it was size one, so it got obliterated.
Yes, the barbarians waging a better war was kind of a joke, because they don't even have cities, and even if they get them, they don't seem to be able to do anything with them. Normal enemies actually fortify defensive units most of the time, and give a barbarian a phalaynx and it will just attack until it's dead. They also attack with units that are in the red zone for hit points remaining. Still, they have an infinate supply of units! :lol:

Personally, I think that barbs are dull. So are the AI. I know I'm gonna win b4 I start. The only point is that barbs keep you on your toes. Something AI civs fail to do.:p

Top Bottom