List of Useful & Free Software Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without OO, isn't it just Spaghetti-code?

Well, put it like this: OO prevents people from writing spaghetti code, but the lack of OO doesn't force people to write it. If someone's writing spaghetti code, then I'd say that shows a deficiency in the programmer rather than the language.

Cortisol...?

Bad typo, should have been consortium.

OO = Object Orientated, correct? Hard to follow along when I'm not sure what it means so I googled it. Maybe I'm actually getting better :eek:

For a school project, I need to collect some nice open-source apps. (What I'm doing is that in multimedia I'm making a nice autoplay menu, similiar to OpenDisc.)

Here's my categories so far.
Office
Internet
Education
Graphics
Multimedia
Utilities
Development
Games

Now, I have a few programs in each category already but I'm not going to post them right away (1, gotta run to school in a few mins, 2, I don't want to influence). What would you guys recommend for each category? Remember, open-source. (The teacher said it has to be otherwise there may be some trouble and the schoolboard might fire him or something.) Also, icons and screenhorsehockys would be appreciated.

Also: Fortunately, the computer I'm working on has both a CD and a DVD burner, so there's not much space limitation to worry about.

Err, you not only want open source, you wanna make sure the license allows you to use it in this kind of circumstance. Personal usage != classroom demonstration/usage.

Well I am looking through the licenses and stuff. A lot of them use a standard OSS license such as the GPL, so those are safe i think. Other ones are sorta tricky because I can't find any license although it says "open-source."

There is a huge amount of text editors and similiars here. Some are free and some are not. There's even some for the Commodore 64!
TextEditors Wiki

Question: I found another executable file in my Pictures folder. Is there a simple program which can search for this? Since I use the Vista search for most things I don't need super-indexing like Google Desktop (I found mostly super-index programs in google), and I haven't figured out how to use the built-in Windows search to do this. To basically search for a certain file extension in a certain folder + subfolders
EDIT: Bonus points if it can also move the files to the right folder

There is a huge amount of text editors and similiars here. Some are free and some are not. There's even some for the Commodore 64!
TextEditors Wiki

Question: I found another executable file in my Pictures folder. Is there a simple program which can search for this? Since I use the Vista search for most things I don't need super-indexing like Google Desktop (I found mostly super-index programs in google), and I haven't figured out how to use the built-in Windows search to do this. To basically search for a certain file extension in a certain folder + subfolders

I'm pretty sure the built in windows search can do this. You can right click the folder to search everything in it, and (for XP, might be different in Vista) under the "more advanced options" drop down menu, you can choose the type of file.

Search is a lot different in Vista.

TextEditors Wiki

Yeah, its called yourself. Keep your crap organized and you wont have problems.

I asked my brain. It objects.

aimee, the more you spam here, the less likely people are going to help you. We've talked about this, remember? A lot of these questions you ask are easy enough to find on google. And if you can't find it, well, you've been referred to links to help you use google better.

Let me also clue you in on a little secret. When you get out of school, and are looking to put those computer skills you've learned to use in a professional setting, organizational skills are a must. In fact, when I'm interviewing someone for a position at my job, one of our stock questions is "How are your organizational skills?" I'm sure everyone else in this subforum will agree the more organized you are, the better your professional experience will be.

Odd thing: I copied and pasted an MP3 file in there just to test it. And then I went to the search and searched in location D:/Pictures then I searched for the name "mp3" as I couldnt find anyplace for extensions, but such didn't work.

EDIT: I also tried "*.mp3."

ANOTHER EDIT: A site I read said to use ext:(*.mp3), which also didn't work

STILL ANOTHER EDIT: I think the [enter choice word] is broken. I put in another term I knew would be found and it wasn't found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom