List Your Biggest UI Grievances

• Scrolling when I move the mouse within a couple of centimetres of the edge of screen - say for example to click on the Tech tree button.
  • Inability to sort lists of stats for cities in the various City info panels, trade destination panel etc.
  • Right side build list wiping out a large part of the name of the city it refers to, meaning I have to go squinting around looking for the city I'm managing. Simply reducing the height so it doesn't cover the city panel would help I think.
  • Unit cycling often scrolls away before the results of combat or action are visible to the player.
  • Future tech and final Culture research should be able to be looped. You could do this in older iterations of Civ.
  • Being able to alter the direction of city spread would be nice.

All the civs look exactly alike... That came out wrong, I mean all their colors are the same... Wait that's not what I meant I mean... WHY IS EVERYONE BLUE OUTER BORDERS WITH WHITE INNER BORDERS?! Seriously, I had a game with France, Greece, and America (myself) all as neighbors and I could barely tell who's army was whose which made actually figuring out what was a friend and what was a foe extremely confusing especially when we all fought one another simultaneously. Also Japan and England were very close by and I crossed the wrong borders several times (though at least their units and cities are easy enough to differentiate.

@Returning Lurker : first thing I modded was the civ colours. I agree wth you, the default colours can get muddled up, particularly the civs you mentioned. I changed Greece (both of them) to light blue and white, France to a more sky-blue and gold, left America as is, and made England pink and white. It works for me!

No random map size option, and the aforementioned failure to save settings.

Last edited:
All of the above. In general, the user interface is too wordy (with font sizes generally being way too small) with too many tabs requiring too many clicks to do things or see key information.

The interface really needs to be overhauled and streamlined with playability in mind, preferably by people who actually play the game and hence have a good idea of the things that don't work well. All it requires is playing the game to find the pain points that are being complained about.

To add to the above list: mouse-over pop-ups for buildings in the built list in the cityview are non-existent. This would be nice to remind oneself what that building does. Otherwise it's a trip to the civilopedia.

The settings not being saved and no restart button definitely get my nod of approval...

I will say this though. I really don't care for the build queue. I feel like it would encourage poor play when the right thing to do is to constantly be tweaking and changing thing to use whatever cards I currently have active. The point of a build queue is so that you can reduce the warning between building things that are trivial in nature, but the direction Civ 6 took seems to make those individual decisions instead have more weight and take a lot of time on their own anyways, and the smaller decisions become gold or faith purchases. Unit production later in the game has you make corps and armies. Districts take a lot of time. The earlier buildings can be bought, the later ones take reasonable amounts of time to where I would want to micromanage when they are done anyways. Maybe there is something to be said when you have 10-20 cities, but I find that even with huge sprawling empires, I still mostly focus on 3-4 main cities to churn out most of my stuff.

I like being able to put my feet up and watch my plan unfold. Reflect. Take a sip of Next Turn Tea as we move into the next tranche of the master plan.

As to the "everything matters" argument :

1) You should be able to change the content/order of the build queue
2) If every turn matters, should we implement a "do you wish to continue building this ?" popup if something takes more than N turns ?
3) Poor play should be punished in the game world, not via carpal tunnel.

I'm not saying it needed to be done on release, but it reduces the number of interactions significantly over the course of hundreds (thousands ?) of hours of play. Going wide is fun again, if the clicks/interactions aren't optimized it will be the mgmt of the empire that will kill the fun for me.

1- city last production bug fix (eg. "City X has completed Y", where Y must be the actual last completed build!!)
2- unit movement turns required (when it says "3 turns required", it must be correct. It doesn't take into account several factors, like extra movement. When it says a unit can attack this very turn, it must be true)
3- show unit current movement (a unit set to "Go to" somewhere should display its current path, when selected. Otherwise, I can't tell whether it is still in place or moving somewhere, and where)
4- city yields modifiers/bonuses details (eg., about production: +15 from tiles, +3 from buildings, +15% from buildings, +15% from policy slots, total 23.4)
5- city buildings and districts bonuses (when hovering on a building/district on the city screen, I should see details "+4 faith, +2 amenities", etc).

List all of the things which annoy you about the UI which should be added, or modded in; both in game and menus.

Too many things, way too many to list all, and I often forget them. High on the list is what I would like fixed is
  • Restart option (removing this has not stopped us using it, it just annoys the hell out of us)
  • Remember option
  • Last trade route
  • Trader information in the middle of my screens stopping me playing
  • Path finding needs a wait mechanism - one unit goes the right way, the rest them go around.
  • They have removed the current civ culture and tourism values from the culture victory screen in the patch... crazy.
I would also like a /ignore option for those civs I just am not interested in talking to.

The Hall of Fame and no saving map settings/restart button are the real big ones. Not really UI issues, but significant non gameplay issues.

As far as UI goes, closing the city state screen.
There is no X and no way to directly close out the screen when a city-state is selected, you have to go back to the main CS screen and close that.
Would not be too much of an issue but you can open the CS screen by clicking on it directly on the map, you can click by mistake and then you have to go back to a menu you were never trying to look at to close it.
Minor but annoying.

1- city last production bug fix (eg. "City X has completed Y", where Y must be the actual last completed build!!)
2- unit movement turns required (when it says "3 turns required", it must be correct. It doesn't take into account several factors, like extra movement. When it says a unit can attack this very turn, it must be true)
3- show unit current movement (a unit set to "Go to" somewhere should display its current path, when selected. Otherwise, I can't tell whether it is still in place or moving somewhere, and where)
4- city yields modifiers/bonuses details (eg., about production: +15 from tiles, +3 from buildings, +15% from buildings, +15% from policy slots, total 23.4)
5- city buildings and districts bonuses (when hovering on a building/district on the city screen, I should see details "+4 faith, +2 amenities", etc).

Yeah, all these too. How'd I not have (1) on my list!?? :eek: :shifty: lol

Number of envoys sent from a CS should require one click, not three (CS screen, CS itself, envoys sent). I should be able to click the CS screen, and then mouse-over something to get that info.

Does the god awful and jarring fog of war count?

I don't mean the unexplored land thats fine, I mean the dull texture based fog of land you explored but can no longer directly see.

The fact that its a flat dull texture based representation makes it very hard (IMO) to determine what its meant to be representing and when placed next to the bright and colourful graphics of the main map its even more jarring. Whats wrong with just a dark shade or something that is clear you can't actively see it but you can see what terrain is there easily still. Like in previous games.

Go to feature need fixing, you send a unit on a path across the globe, which will take 10 plus turns to achieve. Then 2 turns in it just stops, path blocked, but will not restart, and doesn't add back to the actions queue as they already have orders.

Last edited:
I am wondering, why the following was never stated before. Doesn't this bother anybody else or am I simply too dumb to understand it correctly?

- Not-jet moved units are displayed with shadowed (= "already used this turn") icon
Sure, they will be cycled through if they have movement points left and the 'next turn' button was pressed.
But when resolving a local conflict situation, it is confusing when it is not clear at one glance, whether a unit has already used up its movement points or not.

Last edited:
There are quite a few gripes. I think the biggest for me (because it affects almost every turn) is the annoying UI problem when trying to mouse over events. The tile information from the map is often displayed, especially after right clicking to acknowledge one of multiple events (like 5 DOW, or 2 wonders). It is easy enough to mouse off, then back a few times, but it is very annoying that such a simple UI feature is bugged in a game which has been patched 3 times already.

I'd like to add that sometimes units get lost by the auto-cycling for no apparent reason. It happens that I scout with multiple units and forget about one, because the game doesn't remind me that it is still there and has not moved (but is still awake). I usually find them rather fast for some reason (even if accidentally scrolling over them), but I'm sure I had it happen for 10 turns.

I am wondering, why the following was never stated before. Doesn't this bother anybody else or am I simply too dumb to understand it correctly?

- Not-jet moved units are displayed with shadowed (= "already used this turn") icon
Sure, they will cycled through if they have movement points left and the 'next turn' button was pressed.
But when resolving a local conflict situation, it is confusing when it is not clear at one glance, whether a unit has already used up its movement points or not.
No, it's not just you. It's been mention before, and this is definitely another MAJOR issue with the game - although not exactly one I'd call UI per se, although I guess you could say it is. Either way, it's a big problem, because it can directly influence how your game plays out.

Most of these I had completely forgotten were problems because I’ve been playing with mods that fix them for so long. Of course, I shouldn’t need to play with those mods.

Here are a couple I didn’t see mentioned:

-City Attack click fest. I see that the city can attack, but in order to click the bullseye and then select the target, it takes several more clicks than are necessary.

-Needing to move the mouse for multiple clicks. That’s kind of vague so I’ll explain: I have 8 cities each with a Archer garrisoned. I upgrade all 8 Archers to Crossbowmen. On the next turn I start Fortifying all the Crossbowmen, but after the first couple upgrades the clicks no longer respond. I have to move the mouse away from the Fortify button and back again.

-Right Side Notification click fest. Similar to the above, but with the icons on the notification panel. I can’t keep my mouse hovered over the icon and click multiple times. I need to move it off the icon and back on again.

-Unit Targeting. Trying to target a unit to attack it, whether melee or ranged, gets blocked by resource icons, city banners, and other map display items.

Last edited:
Top Bottom