Lithuania (RFC)

nutnut

Budding Modder
Lithuania
An RFC Story

Short Introduction From the Author

I know that Riga isn't the capital of Lithuania, and that Lithuania isn't a Civ in RFC, but the historical area of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania looks like an epic place to put a Civ, sandwiched between Germany and Russia. The danger of such a place is that this could easily fail. As such, this is something of an experiment, to see what happens when you move the starting position of a Civ around, especially in an area as crowded as Europe. Hope you enjoy!

Part 1

550 A.D.​

A loose union of towns and villages on the Baltic banded together under a Duke. A Grand Duke, to be precise. Their capital was centred on Riga, a good port built on a river that led right into the heart of the Rus’.

550 - 620 A.D.​

During these years a great deal of land was brought under Riga’s control. Lithuania, as Riga’s Empire had become known, had three centres of power. There was Riga, obviously, seat of the Grand Duke, the only major port and the biggest financial centre on the Baltic. Then there was Minsk, surrounded by excellent farmlands and pastures suitable for husbandry. And lastly, there was Konugard. Built in the Southern part of the Rus’, it was dangerously close to the openly hostile Khazars, where the fragile hold that Judaism had over the locals was threatened by Lithuania’s pagan ways.

630 A.D.​

Around this time contact was established between the League of Greek City-States and Lithuania. The relations were amicable, and the two prospered from it. But whilst this took place the Khazars began mounting strong raids against Konugard.

650 A.D.​

Contact between Lithuania and Rome was cautious at first, as Lithuanians were Non-Romanitas. However, Rome recognised the importance of maintaining good relations with what was effectively frontier between them and barbarian migrations.

660 A.D.

Following the period of forward-thinking and political freedom brought about by contact with the two socially-liberal nations the Grand Duke decided to cement his authority with power. Over the following two decades there was near-anarchy as the Grand Duke used the military to destroy his political opponents and establish central rule.

750 A.D.

The Frankish migration into Gaul presented an opportunity for Lithuania. The Romans were determined to fight for control of Gaul but they were severely weakened by it. Siding with the Franks would lead to Rome’s destruction, and leave hegemony over Europe to Greece and Lithuania. However, siding with Rome would establish excellent relations between the two ‘Great Powers’.
However, the Grand Duke knew both options had risks and so created a third option. He gave Rome backing but did not get directly involved in the conflict. This meant that the Romans had a better chance of success but if defeated then Lithuanian relations with the Franks would still be reasonable.

790 A.D.

The Franco-Roman War ended as something of a draw. The Roman province of Hispania had broken away and formed the Kingdom of Spain. However, they still remained close with their former master and had a strong dislike of the Franks. The Franks successfully took Gaul, but Rome wasn’t too weakened and remained a major power. This left the Franks politically isolated.

820 A.D.

The start of the 9th Century saw a massive political and cultural upheaval across Europe. Christianity had spread across Greece, Italia, Spain and Francia. Monarchs had converted, strengthening bonds between the four nations (even with the Franks). The Greeks had even gone so far as to organise the religion with a Main Church at Athens. However, Christianity was still far from Lithuania and the politics of Europe were not high on the list of the Grand Duke’s interests as the Khazar war was still raging, with attacks against Konugard taking place daily.

840 A.D.

In central Europe a new peoples were settling. Germania had long been devoid of organised states but in response to the large empires surrounding them numerous towns had banded together and formed a new German nation, and Lithuanian relations with them were quite reasonable.

850 A.D.

The 850s saw Lithuania develop the countryside quite heavily, making use of their land as best they could. Whole armies of serfs dotted the landscape, working the land not because they were told too, but because they knew it was for the greater good. This utilitarianism brought about a strong national spirit.
However, the Khazars were watching. Attacking these workforces would destroy Lithuania, but any attempt to defend the workforces would result in Konugard being lost. The Grand Duke knew something had to be done, but any move he made would be a dangerous gamble. If the Khazars struck, it would break Lithuania’s back.

Um, it looks more and more like the Partition of Poland about a thousand years too early (when both Germany and Russia will ask for your cities to flip).

Um, it looks more and more like the Partition of Poland about a thousand years too early (when both Germany and Russia will ask for your cities to flip).

I've never seen a Capital flip, and Riga's the only city that would've flipped to the Germans (they've been there two turns now and nothing, so I feel safe). And if any of my cities flip to Russia then it'll be... interesting.

If Riga doesn't flip, then you're not playing the most recent patch or you have squatting (since declared cheating) turned on.
Konugard (Kiev) will flip to the Russians.
Then again, the AI is so inept at warfare you might actually get to keep your cities, but your culture will suffer a lot.

If Riga doesn't flip, then you're not playing the most recent patch or you have squatting (since declared cheating) turned on.
Konugard (Kiev) will flip to the Russians.
Then again, the AI is so inept at warfare you might actually get to keep your cities, but your culture will suffer a lot.

I am playing the most recent patch, and I've never seen a capital flip. And I don't know what you mean by squatting...

I'm prepared to lose Konugard. For now, anyway.

out of curiousity, did you simply move the Viking spawn point? Or did you change the UU and UB, etc.?

He must have moved the starting point, because how else could he have gotten his workers? (he's starting in 550 AD meaning workers appear 2 moves later)

Part 2

850 – 860 A.D.

The Khazars never attacked. A group to the north, Slavs, began expanding outwards and attacked them. For the Grand Duke, this was a blessing. His empire had been saved. However, as one problem passed another arose. German migrants moving eastwards had settled around Riga, but the land could not support so many people. There was mass starvation, rioting in the streets and a great deal of tension between Lithuania and Germany as the crisis unfolded. In the end, the Grand Duke expelled the Germans, fearless of the diplomatic ramifications.

880 A.D.

The Slavs who once saved the empire were now about to destroy it. Like the Germans, they were also migrating into Lithuania at an alarming rate. Then, one fateful day in the Summer of 880, Minsk and Konugard revolted, joining the Russian Empire. The Grand Duke was powerless to stop this, as Lithuania had little military capability.

900 A.D.

Rome had once been the mightiest city in all the land. Now, it was hardly worth mentioning. The great empire had collapsed, leaving the weakened Lithuania all alone, and surrounded by potentially hostile nations.

900 – 1060 A.D.

During this period the Russian Empire proved to be weaker than had previously been thought. Lithuania could not afford a war with Russia, but Russia did not know that. The Grand Duke knew they would not accept a demand that involved ceding Minsk, but he was able to obtain the surrounding land through a series of treaties unfavourable to the Russians. By holding most of Minsk’s farmland, the city effectively starved under Russian control. Russians began leaving the city, moving eastwards, towards Siberia instead. Meanwhile Lithuanians stayed in the city, hoping that one day the Grand Duke would return.

1020 A.D.

With Christian missionaries having worked at converting Riga’s population for centuries, the Grand Duke knew it was time to give in. In 1020 A.D. Lithuania became a nation under God.

1070 – 1100 A.D.

‘The Minsk Revolt’, as it became known, was the violent uprising in Minsk that took place between 1070 and 1100. The people were determined to kick the Russians out of the city and return it to Lithuania.

1100 A.D.

The people of Minsk succeeded. In 1100 A.D. the Russian garrison left the city, and the Grand Duke entered. However, there was little celebration, for Lithuania had made enemies with Russia and Germany.

AP's right, I literally just deleted the old starting units and placed an identical number on Riga.

And Riga didn't flip. I'm definitely playing the most recent version but on the stability maps Riga is in the yellow for Germany and green for Vikings, so obviously that factored in. (and I'm playing on Viceroy).

It's not the stability maps that determine flips, it's the flip area:
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/civ4/rfc-atlas.htm
And Riga is in the German one, so I still don't think you're playing v1.986/1.486/1.186

Besides, you have the ugly looking Alexander that Rhye hated. :)

Is there Cyprus? I can't tell because of the culture.

Interesting story.
And I've finally found another Spanish in these forums!

@AP - Evidently I'm not. Thought I was. After this game is completed I shall defintely upgrade.

@emeralddude - Cyprus is there, but it's a mountain.

@eduhum - I'm British, actually. Just one of many in Spain.

yeah, cyprus is supposed to be a mountain. i thought it was only in the latest version.

Part 3

1120 A.D.

The news of Russia’s conversion to Christianity was answered with sighs of relief from the Court of the Grand Duke. This new bond between the two nations eased some of the tension of Minsk’s revolt.

1180 A.D.

Lithuanian scouts reported the true extent of France’s Empire. Their armies had crossed the Alps and taken Northern Italy, a serious blow to Lithuania considering that had once been Rome’s seat of power.

1200 A.D.

Lithuania’s relations with Germany were once cause for concern. But now, after a string of trade agreements, the Holy Roman Emperor seemed quite well disposed towards the Grand Duke. With the Western Frontier now safe from invasion the Grand Duke was able to focus his attention on the threat from the East.

1210 A.D.

Mali. It had once seemed so far away. A distant, magical land in the heart of Africa. But news arrived in Riga of a French takeover there. It appeared the villainous Franks were expanding outside of Europe, which greatly alarmed the Grand Duke, as Lithuania hadn’t grown in over a century.

1290 A.D.

Storm clouds were gathering over Byzantion. Anatolia had been conquered by Turks, migrants from Central Asia. They had now set their sights on Greece, Lithuania’s only true ally. The Greek League was weak, and heavily factionalised, it seemed as though they were doomed from the start.

1300 A.D.

It appeared the Turks were not just interested in Greece. News arrived of their expansion in the Middle-East, which had now led to war with Persia.

1310 A.D.

Somewhat inspired by the expansion going on around him, the Grand Duke ordered for the colonisation of Finland. Helsingfors had been founded as a second major port on the Baltic for Lithuania, and also cut Russia off from it.

1330 A.D.

France’s grand designs were not unopposed. It appeared that both Spain and Portugal were engaged in war with the French, but it seemed that France was winning.

1400 A.D.

The Turks were victorious. Greece had collapsed. With their only ally gone, France sending Western Europe into a new Golden Age and the Russian threat to the East still not quelled, once again things were looking grim for Lithuania.

Found a few port cities in Scandinavia, build a fleet, and invade England.

That's decidedly un-Lithuanian. My basic aim is to survive, and to try and stay in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania's historical area.

Hmmm... Then build a bunch of banks, markets, and grocers, hire a ton of mercs, and humble the Russians.

Top Bottom