Live stream "Masterclass: Faction Strategies" Friday, Sept 26 at 2pm EST

[Side Track] I have a acount here? And its one post 2 years ago about being frustrated on having to wait to days for G+K? LOL... :eek: :crazyeye:

Long time lurker and second time poster (aparently) :lol: [/Side Track]

Can't belive that something said in the livestream hasn't made a bigger splash. The size of the map changes hom much of a health penelty a colony gives. I was wondering how they planned to handle the 8 sponsors plus large maps and this is a awesome version.

Hot Seat confirmed (was hoping that, me and two friends was planning on trying that).

Also want to say thanks to MadDjinn in general, watching your LPs has pushed me from an okay Prince player to a okay Emperor player (usually win unless something distracts me from my (plan). Hoping for some BE LPs from you so I can learn to kick my friends asses.

PS. For Mods and Admins, you've forgotten the Mac version of Civ I thats what I owned (or rather a parent but still).

yes, this.

Basically, think of the 'provides' as someones way to give more info to players about what they're doing.

and the yields is the real value to look at.

So is the Academy tech tooltip 'provides +2' wrong or the 'yield 3' wrong?
It sounds like the +2 is wrong?
ie an Academy on Grassland is 2 food 3 science, Not 2 food 2 science.
(and a Biowell on Grassland gives 4 food and 1 health)..

so they really just need to remove the "Provides" part of the tech tooltip for Academies, Terrascapes, and Manufacturies

Thanks

Can't belive that something said in the livestream hasn't made a bigger splash. The size of the map changes hom much of a health penelty a colony gives. I was wondering how they planned to handle the 8 sponsors plus large maps and this is a awesome version.

Interesting, missed that! Could you give some details?

Unless I am mistaken that isn't any difference from how CIV5 handles map sizes and happiness? :confused:

Unless I am mistaken that isn't any difference from how CIV5 handles map sizes and happiness? :confused:

However, for CivV city unhappiness could only be solved through luxuries and Wonders (there were more types of luxuries available on larger maps)

In CivBE, It seems as though you can get city health in excess of population unhealth.

Most BE health seems to be available through buildings or improvements... ie stuff you can automatically get more of the more cities you have.

However, for CivV city unhappiness could only be solved through luxuries and Wonders (there were more types of luxuries available on larger maps)

In CivBE, It seems as though you can get city health in excess of population unhealth.

Most BE health seems to be available through buildings or improvements... ie stuff you can automatically get more of the more cities you have.

yeah, I think I was just pointing out that it's similar mechanics (but don't quote me on the health part 'cause I've been sleepy) to CivV wrt larger maps == less penalties per city for expansion.

IIRC we had the some basic unhappiness in every city in civ5 regardless of map size, and it wasn't counterable by common buildings.
My memory is confused by mods, but I guess it always was 3 global unhappiness per city. No amount of happiness buildings inside would ever counter that. You had to use wonders, luxuries or policies to get global happiness (making ICS-ing hard to achieve).

MadDjinn shows us the tooltip, but I can't read it in the youtube video because everything is a bit blurry. I can't tell if there's any difference in BE.

EDIT:
Through a quick research I found that large maps gave -20% unhappiness per city, -40% for huge. Difficulty settings below prince also gave happiness modifiers. I always played on large maps, but I never realized those 20%. Shame on me. Guess that's why they invited MadDjinn and not me ;)

In my BE playthrough, on a standard map, the arithmetic revealed by the health/unhealth tooltip worked out to 4 unhealth per city (nothing for an outpost until it became a city) and 0.75 unhealth per unit of population. On the massive map that MD used for one of his saves in that stream, the unhealth per city was lower (and therefore facilitated the wide strat he adopted in that save), but I don't recall the specific discount.

In my BE playthrough, on a standard map, the arithmetic revealed by the health/unhealth tooltip worked out to 4 unhealth per city (nothing for an outpost until it became a city) and 0.75 unhealth per unit of population. On the massive map that MD used for one of his saves in that stream, the unhealth per city was lower (and therefore facilitated the wide strat he adopted in that save), but I don't recall the specific discount.

Well if it was 25% lower (3 per city) it would be due to Eudamonia (-25% unhealth from all sources)

Ha ha! No, I was nowhere near any level 3 virtues. We only had an hour to play and I spent most of it exploring the UI and seeing what game mechanics worked or didn't work (like worker stealing, settling on resources, etc.).

As an aside, some folks at Firaxis confirmed that there really is no easy way to find stations on the map, other than by using the magnifying glass on the trade route screen (which, by the way, takes two clicks to get to). Stations do not appear on the diplo screen, so unless you have a spare trade unit, you will have to just zoom out and manually scan the map for stations.

Ha ha! No, I was nowhere near any level 3 virtues. We only had an hour to play and I spent most of it exploring the UI and seeing what game mechanics worked or didn't work (like worker stealing, settling on resources, etc.).

As an aside, some folks at Firaxis confirmed that there really is no easy way to find stations on the map, other than by using the magnifying glass on the trade route screen (which, by the way, takes two clicks to get to). Stations do not appear on the diplo screen, so unless you have a spare trade unit, you will have to just zoom out and manually scan the map for stations.

I'm saying on Mad's massive map... (He Did have Eudamonia) if it was 3/city then it would be due to the virtue and not the massive map.

And that is unfortunate about locating stations... I could see locating them through the trade screen (since that is the main method of interaction with them)

Well if it was 25% lower (3 per city) it would be due to Eudamonia (-25% unhealth from all sources)

That modifier is listed separately as it affects all sources of unhealthiness. (It's generally the last thing on the list in the unhealth section).

so the base amount of unhealth is shown for each line item, then modified later.

That modifier is listed separately as it affects all sources of unhealthiness. (It's generally the last thing on the list in the unhealth section).

so the base amount of unhealth is shown for each line item, then modified later.

Yeah, looking at it now, I see that line. It seems like you have 10 cities and ??.? unhappiness from cities (so obviously not 40)

It seems strange since it seems that a lot of health in BE is already 'per city' (or 'per tile').
Although I guess the initial Difficulty level bonus is not per city/tile

I have two questions if Mad is still here...

A) Is the whole deorbiting of Terraformers something the devs are actively looking to change? Seems a bit ridiculous if orbital space is at a premium for it to be a thing that players decommission their own satellites at random times after they are "done" doing what you really wanted them to do... Which in this case was getting extra bonus resources.

B) We saw some serious application of techstealing. How strong/easy is it to steal not from the Tech leader but from someone who went for a different affinity? It looks like Maddjinn did quite a bit of this and even got 3 Purity(?) points from a single tech steal, so I can't imagine it being a bad idea.

Oh and second question related to this... If it's actually a good thing to get easy sideways affinity points by stealing from someone who has gone another way... Does the AI know how to do this? It looked like Maddjinn in the later games had 2-3 points (or more) he might have gotten this way... However the AIs seemed largely "pure".

I have two questions if Mad is still here...

A) Is the whole deorbiting of Terraformers something the devs are actively looking to change? Seems a bit ridiculous if orbital space is at a premium for it to be a thing that players decommission their own satellites at random times after they are "done" doing what you really wanted them to do... Which in this case was getting extra bonus resources.

B) We saw some serious application of techstealing. How strong/easy is it to steal not from the Tech leader but from someone who went for a different affinity? It looks like Maddjinn did quite a bit of this and even got 3 Purity(?) points from a single tech steal, so I can't imagine it being a bad idea.

Oh and second question related to this... If it's actually a good thing to get easy sideways affinity points by stealing from someone who has gone another way... Does the AI know how to do this? It looked like Maddjinn in the later games had 2-3 points (or more) he might have gotten this way... However the AIs seemed largely "pure".

as for A) I think/hope for the Resource that the chance of getting an Additional resource (it says they could have 1 or 2) depends on how many more turns the satellite will be up there.

So hopefully
each turn you have a X% chance of getting a resource
(if no resource has been popped when the satellite reaches its normal lifespan it pops one..if it has popped 2 then the %chance becomes 0)

That way if someone has a Slavic+Superior Engineering satellite, they have a good chance of getting 2 resources popped even after the first one.

Top Bottom