Lol.... corruptions funny

Kaos

Chieftain
I played on a large map with max civs(i think 12?)

anyways i was chinese and had conquered 3/4 the map... thats not really the point...

anyways, I had basically conquered every Persian, Roman, Babylonian, Indian, Japanese, and Greek city on t he contintent(i played pangea for a change)

anyways.... I was scrolling through all the cities I had captured at the end of game before I won with a space race victory and I was shocked to see that 50% of the cities I owned never produced more than 1 commerce or shields.... take makes NO SENSE....

Say Athens.... it has every improvement, WLTK day, yet I still get stats like 132.1 for gold income and 68.1 for shield production...
mind you most cities were this way, and for the last 1000 years I hadnt really gone to war at all but had been building up...

1000 years after I capture a city, all the citizens are happy or content, and they have every improvement working for them SHOULD NOT YIELD 1 shield/commerice and 99.9% of the rest being corrupted...... im sorry that just makes no sense. Theres nothing you can do to change it either cause I tried killing the population then sending all my workers of my nationality to refill it and i still got xxxxxxxx.1 :(

Yep.

The only way to solve this is change to optimum city number for each map in the rules and mark some of the improvements/building as reduce corruption. After that the game is much much more playable. There are still some corruption at the far flung cities (about 15-20%) but thats much much more acceptable.:D

just be a commie!

solved every corruption problem...

in my latest game (255x255 large continents) there were only 5 civs left (i owned 1/2 of the world as the germans :D ) and all the bigs one (namely 4 of them, greece was being trashed, but they held up a good fight because i kept giving them my techs for free. They were too small to be dangerous to me, so i figured if they had tanks before the romans (their enemies) they would at least do some mayor damage) were communists. It gives some corruption in your capital, but with a courthouse in every city it works great, especially since cities your conquer will be able to produce something, so you won't have to raze them every time.. forced labor+drafting rules too :D

Corruption can easily be subdued, but it does eat your treasury. How?
1. Build Temple. Extra shield/resource available.
2. Link city to capital (road, harbour or airport). Extra shield/resource available.
3. Build Courthouse. Extra shield/resource available.
4. Cathederal
5. Colloseum
6. Library.
7. University
etc
Building/rush buying these improvements grant you 7 additional shield/resources which would have otherwise been wasted due to corruption (and with the initial shield we now have 8).

Also, you may relocate your palace or build the Forbidden City small wonder (Great Leader will give you a one-turn wonder). Corruption in the region can almost be eliminated. Other regions will still have corruption, but those cities will still be a valuable part of your empire.

These improvements need to be built anyway to spread your culture, so you're not building these improvements in vain. Yes, it does cost your treasury initially a large amount of money to finance these buildings, but the benefits these cities give makes everything worthwile (they'll pay for themselves eventually). Make the AI pay for your improvements (trade like mad).

Corruption is not a problem if you take the necessary steps to combat them. When all else fails, try Communism.

Large empires need a centrally located capitol, so to fight corruption you might need to relocate the capital. The capital also gives you culture points which accumulates through the ages. If I relocate the capital, will I lose the 'age' bonus?

The number of cities that are closer to a palace than a given city also affects corruption levels. Of course, if you have hundreds of cities, they won't be doing much unless you pop rush, no matter what you do...

Hurkyl

Dunno if you lose the age bonus when relocating your Palace, but it doesn't matter much; the base culture value of the Palace is only 1 anyway. You get 2 from Libraries and Temples ...

Originally posted by smallstepforman
Corruption can easily be subdued, but it does eat your treasury. How?
1. Build Temple. Extra shield/resource available.
2. Link city to capital (road, harbour or airport). Extra shield/resource available.
3. Build Courthouse. Extra shield/resource available.
4. Cathederal
5. Colloseum
6. Library.
7. University
etc
Building/rush buying these improvements grant you 7 additional shield/resources which would have otherwise been wasted due to corruption (and with the initial shield we now have 8).

I tried rush building all these things and nothing happened (still 1 shield and 1 trade). Maybe it's different when you're playing on Emperor? Dunno. I'd sure hate to switch to Communism and lose all that science in my good cities, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

The corruption problem has really made me rethink my strategy. Now, whenever I take over an enemy city, I sell it to one of my friends. They usually give me all sorts of wonderful things for an enemy city! Like just now I sold Hongchow (a major size 17 city) to the Romans for: "960 gold, advanced flight, 25 gold/turn and wines". Too funny, I would never have gotten that much from it in a MILLION years! Now the Romans hate me because they wound up with an empty city thay they immediately lost. Of course, my 3 armies and artillary were nicely transported back to my capital (safely) as an added bonus!

Now to go take over some more cities...

- Alan

laughs out loud

:p

ok am i the only person that has absolutely no problem with the corruption levels, i got totally bored and stopped playing CIV II because it was just far too easy to take over the map with hundreds of cities, hence scoring unlimited income and unlimited everything else. BORING

Corruption is ok, I mangaed to get over 80,000 culture points on monarch without needing to fill the map with cities producing loads of shields, if they didn't have coruption at this level, then the whole idea of culture would be pointless, it would be far too easy.

Civ III is a strategy game, so figure out a strategy to best cope with corruption, in the most efficient manner suitable to yourself.

The thing is, the corruption controlling effects of your palace can only extend through a limited number of cities.

For instance, on a tiny map, a palace simply cannot reduce corruption in more than the 5 closest cities. Period. And the 4th and 5th closest cities need to have a courthouse, or they will be essentially in total corruption.

I only did my testing on despotism through republic, so corruption MAY be a little lower in democracy or a little more managable in communism, but I didn't try it. I also didn't do any testing with the forbidden palace, but I assume it's the same effect as a palace.

Things are likely to change with the patch on the weekend to make corruption levels a little more managable.

Hurkyl

Originally posted by pravda
:p

ok am i the only person that has absolutely no problem with the corruption levels, i got totally bored and stopped playing CIV II because it was just far too easy to take over the map with hundreds of cities, hence scoring unlimited income and unlimited everything else. BORING

Corruption is ok, I mangaed to get over 80,000 culture points on monarch without needing to fill the map with cities producing loads of shields, if they didn't have coruption at this level, then the whole idea of culture would be pointless, it would be far too easy.

Civ III is a strategy game, so figure out a strategy to best cope with corruption, in the most efficient manner suitable to yourself.

Yeah, maybe but it's unrealistic that a city builds ONLY because it's near the 'palace'. Corruption should depend on things like government, police, luxuries; things like that, things that you can manage. I understand that in CIV2 it was too easy to get into an explosive growth phase and overwhelm the other CIVs. Maybe this problem is solved now, but I think it's cheating to 'solve' the problem by simply outlawing growth. Of course, it might be impossible to make an AI that can play as well as a human. Of course that's what they said about chess...

As far as the forbidden palace. I always postpone building it. I wait until I find a suitable place, then go to war and produce a leader. Then I use my leader to build the forbidden palace.

- A

Dont't worry Pravda, you're not the only one who doesn't find corruption to be a problem. Like you've already stated, it makes the game more challenging. I'm disappointed that Firaxis changed the formula and reduced the effect of corruption with the new patch.

On Large/Huge maps corruption isn't as much of a problem like on small. Who wants to play on small maps anyway?

Zakon.

I agree that the increase in corruption makes Civ3 better than Civ1,2 or SMAC. In the power graphs on any of those games, the curves (on winning games) were always approximately exponential. This makes sense, because you could always use the power that you had to grab a constant fraction of addition power = expoential growth.

Now you grab (or build or raze and then build) those extra cities and they don't do anything for you (Except to reallocate that rubber from those Zulus who didn't really deserve it anyway :) & also to extend your road/railroad movement bonuses) This lead to much less drastic increases in power and has a nice balancing effect. I have had several challenging endgames in a limited number of Civ3 tries. IMO increased Corruption and Culture are two big plusses for Civ3
- k

Top Bottom