Long Term Civ Goals You've Achieved/Wish to Achieve

Mon Mauler

Warlord
It took many months, but I finally achieved a longtime goal of mine. Here's the situation:

When I got BTS I decided I would try to play one game with each civilization from start to finish, no restarts. Yesterday I finally reached my goal.

I played all of the games on Prince, Fractal, Standard Map Size, Standard Timing, Random Sea Level, Random Climate, 8 Total Civs, Resticted/Random Leaders, all Victories enabled, and no special Options.

In all, I played 34 games and recorded 26 wins for a final tally of 10 Domination Wins, 4 Diplomatic Wins, 8 Space Race Wins, 4 Culture Wins, and 8 Losses. I did not record either a Conquest Victory or a Time Victory.

Here's how it broke down:

Domination Victories:
Domination most suits my playstyle, so it makes sense that I would get more Domination Victories than anything else.
1. Rome - Julius: This was my most complete and earliest victories, as I took an early lead on the power of the Praets and transitioned to Rifles to gain the win in the mid 1600's.
2. Mongolia - Kublai Khan: This was a close second, though, as I used Keshiks to get an early lead and steamrolled everyone with cavalry to wrap it up in the early 1700's.
3. Japan - Tokugawa
4. Persia - Cyrus: In all reality this should've been a Conquest Victory. I ended up vassalizing the final two Civs on the same turn so that the only three remaining Civs other than myself were all my vassals. I don't know why this was recorded as a Domination Victory. I guess I should've vassalized the smaller civ before the larger one on that final turn.
5. Babylon - Hammurabi
6. Aztec - Montezuma
7. France - Napoleon
8. Byzantium - Justinian
9. Portugal - Joao
10. Viking - Ragnar

Diplomatic Victories:
All of these were pseudo domination victories, where I either could've taken a couple extra cities or waited a few extra turns to let my borders expand further. All of these victories were based on military power, not diplomacy. I did not get a Diplomatic Victory through the Apostolic Palace.
1. Holy Rome - Charlemagne
2. Egypt - Hatshepsut
3. Russia - Stalin
4. Inca - Huayana

Space Race Victories:
I try to immerse myself in the game as much as possible, and to that end, I try not to attack friends. Accordingly, some of these probably could've been Domination Victories, as well, but I got stymied close to the Domination limits and decided to rely on my productive power to get the victory. My wins with Boudica, Sitting Bull, and Zara were all like this. For the others I decided fairly early to go for Space.
1. Maya - Pacal
2. Celtia - Boudica
3. Native America - Sitting Bull
4. Khmer - Suryavarman
5. England - Elizabeth
6. Ethiopia - Zara Yaqob
7. Korea - Wang
8. Mali - Mansa Musa

Culture Victories:
I actually didn't really learn how to get a Culture Victory or even try until after I had already played most of the Civs, which explains the low number of Culture wins. Once I figured out how to do it, though, I quickly found Culture Victories to be the fastest games (in time spent) as well as probably the easiest victory to achieve.
1. India - Gandhi: After the Domination Victories with Rome and Mongolia, this was my easiest and earliest victory, as I passed the Culture limits in the late 1700's.
2. Greece - Pericles
3. Netherlands - Willem van Oranje
4. Arabia - Saladin

Losses:
I ended up losing to Culture Victories for most of these.
1. Carthage - Hannibal
2. China - Mao
3. Zululand - Shaka
4. Germany - Frederick
5. American - Roosevelt
6. Ottomans - Mehmed: I was cruising to what would've been my earliest Space Race Victory when the spies of America and Korea struck. I had neglected Espionage and tried to beat them off as best as I could. In the end, I loss the Space Race to Augustus by a single turn.
7. Spain - Isabella: This was my most crushing defeat. I waged wars against Germany and the Celts that did not achieve their objectives. Finally, relegated to 5 cities on a barren peninsula in the late 1500's, I loaded up my military as much as I could, and launched a last ditch effort to defeat the Celts. A couple dozen turns later they took my final city.
8. Sumeria - Gilgamesh: I was totally impotent this entire game.

Now that I have completed my initial goal, I've decided to append it a bit. Now I want to:
1. Play a game with all the remaining Leaders
2. Gain a Conquest Victory
3. Gain a Time Victory
And once I have played with all remaining Leaders:
4. Win with all Civs/Leaders

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really happy that I've finally gotten this done. It took roughly five months of intermittent playing under an altered mental state in the dead of night. I'm by no means a great or even good player, which is why I play on Prince. Still, a winning percentage of 76% ain't too shabby. It's better than I thought I'd do.

Does anyone have any similar goals they have achieved or are working towards?

I recently (last week) was able to get my first diplo and my first religious victory. So my goal is to complete my QM.

I still haven't achieved a conquest victory or a religious diplo win. So I plan to use my current game to achieve one or the other.

I recently won my first OCC and first Conquest victory, both in the same game. Also just won my first culture game, which remarkably was even quicker than the OCC (even though this was on Epic speed whereas the OCC was Normal - war makes quite a difference here).

My current game looks like it could be a No Wonders game. I haven't done this before so I might give it a try. (I presume that means no World Wonders, and National Wonders are still allowed?)

Move up a couple difficulty levels. Currently, I'm a proud Chieftain player ;).

I achieved my goal of winning every kind of victory on noble level. Now I'm working on doing the same on prince.

I want to not ever again hit "Regenerate Start". It's so tempting though...

I tell myself that if I keep desiring the same kind of start, I don't experience the variety of the game. Then again, some starts I just look at and cringe and wonder why I would ever play it. Mentally, I definitely want to be able to just pick up any start and go, and lately I've been getting better. Sometimes though, I get stuck with a mediocre start, say, with lots of plains and just a lone resource and I feel like that isn't fun to me, so I regenerate. I'm stuck in the paradox of regenerating starts because ultimately I want to have fun and not regenerating because I want to experience the randomness and uniqueness of Civ4. :hmm:

Want to achieve a Monarch AW game win, only conquest enabled, standard map, pangaea, raging bars/aggressive AI, random civ. No save/reloads. (This is a rather short-term goal though)

At the moment i want to win any victory at Emperor.

on standard maps i havent been able to pull it off, but im getting closer with each attempt. The last try with augustus, catherine just had 1 chariot to many :)

I like to win on every level 6 or more times.
I kept on winning space race on Noble so I tried it without the option and won domination. Then I won Prince. Then I won Prince without space race (cultural). Then I wanted to win Prince without a great Civ (Khmer). Now I am (almost surely) going to win on Prince without Space or Cultural (both shut off).
After this I will start a Monarch game with a good civ. After that Monarch without space. After that Monarch with not a great civ or without space or cultural. Etc.
But what I really want to do is to start playing multi-player. I don’t expect to win my first game. The game is so interesting, I really can’t imagine how neat it would be playing against 3+ other human opponents. I want to find a group that plays for one or two four hour blocks of time a week. Does anyone know of one? BTW I’m in Athens time zone.

I want to win more consistently with variety of starts. I usually play normal map size, epic, monarch, continents or fractal, random AI leaders and I try to pick a new civ each time I play.

So far on monarch I think I win maybe 60% of all games I start, most of the ones I loose are decided very early, I rarelly loose late in the game.

Some things for me to learn are the transition from SE to CE and better SE management.

I want to turn the world into a glowing ball of dust more often; most of my games end with me running away from the rest and crusing into a certain 'civilised' win (on any level; it just takes longer to overtake the bunch... or I lose outright).

My best game so far, score be damned: I got hit by a barbarian uprising, then lost even more cities to a dogpile. I was small AND ridiculously backwards for most of the game, needed to raze half a dozen cities to keep some AI from winning and started a nuklear holocaust that ended in my first and last time victory.

I achieved my goal of winning every kind of victory on noble level. Now I'm working on doing the same on prince.

I'm close to doing that on Prince. I just need a Conquest victory. But I should've had that with one of my Victoria games. The moment I had vassalized my last rival, a message came up saying it was a Domination Victory. :rolleyes: I was not convinced. But I shall try again. It should be easy enough now.

Actually Victoria is my favourite leader and I've won Domination, Space race and cultural with her on Prince already. I'm going to try Conquest next - which I'm convinced I can get. And lastly Religious/Diplomatic - this will be tough. I'm guessing it'll have to be backdoor and through the UN. We'll see.

Versatile Victoria is my goal. To show everyone that she's the best and no more "Elizabeth! Elizabeth! Elizabeth!" :rolleyes:

It may sound strange but one of my goals is to actually be defeated in a particular way.

Like a true Spartan :D I would love to lose to an AI that has actually outplayed me. Losing to an AI simply because of ridiculous imbalance in rules (eg. Deity AI) is not very satisfying unless it is realistically your appropriate difficulty level (and how many people can honestly say that?!).

In this game I nearly had a Prince AI defeat me. Because it was all about defeating a far more powerful opponent it felt so much more satisfying.

So my long term goal is to experience the ultimate game, where an AI and I will be very competitive up to the very end of the game. This is often very difficult because you either realise mid-game that you've got it in the bag (ie. you will definitely win) or you struggle in the early game and fall far too far behind probably because of the difficulty level.

win every kind of victory with roosevelt. don't know why i just have this fixation with playing roosevelt.

Top Bottom