Longbowmen will upgrade to range2-Gatlings (and then MG)?

Draskar

Warlord
Simple question :) yes or no?

Yes.

England is quite powerful. 2-range machine guns can rip units apart, while 4 Ships of the Line + a Privateer can capture an entire empire's coastal cities. When upgraded to Battleships (3 range), you'll be able to move across the entire map with your navy and conquer the seas with your navy.

I hope not, but living in old world negates me to try it until tomorrow :)

Yay, finally a reason to upgrade longbowmen! =D

:( just a little bit OP :D

So England is Awesome now for conquest :D

Do they still get an extra spy or not?

So England is Awesome now for conquest :D

Do they still get an extra spy or not?

Yes, 2 spies in Renaissance, then +1 every era.

Promoted Longbowman will completely wreck everything (especially after upgraded). As will Ships of the Line...keep them alive, promoted, and with a Great Admiral. England wins.

Kind of makes me want to try England on my next playthrough. I'm doing a Religion-focused Byzantine game (probably going Diplomacy Victory) and was planning a warmonger playthrough next. I was thinking Huns or another new civ, but maybe England would be more fun with strong land and sea units...

It's really quite nasty to experience from the perspective of an attacking force. Between 2 range gatling guns and ships of the line, it can take quite an effort to take England by sea. As a matter of fact, I ended up having to take a land force around the long way to penetrate from the side, rather than my original intention of a quick beach storming.

While my much larger navy was successful as a distraction, I still took heavy losses, and they did not in any way help directly in the taking of cities, in the end.

That extra spy is also very handy for tech stealing or diplo.

A couple more notes:
1) Yes, Longbowmen get upgrade to gatling guns with range 2
2) All Crossbowmen who are upgraded with logistics have range 2 as gatling guns.
3) Gatling guns can be upgraded to range 2 as well.

England doesn't have to level up their men to get that range, but all gatling guns from any civ can get that range if upgraded.

yes they will upgrade eventually to Range(2tiles) Gatling Guns, but you'll probably want to pick up Logistics (2 attks per turn) first. and that Gatling Gun is going to be pretty amazing, ESPECIALLY if it started out as a simple Scout that found an upgrade hut.

only thing is, not every single game will lend itself to massive wars with AI to promote your Longbowman that far up.

Build another scout, to get chance to found a ruin, and then, a future longbowman/gatling without terrain penalty!

If you build a scout, then kill a few barbs with it and promote it with Survivalism I & II, then gets an Archer upgrade, you are in for a treat. Upgrade the Archer (now with Survivalism I & II) to a longbowman for a free Range promotion. Then, level him up to get Logistics, and other upgrades you might like. When this guy upgrades to Gatling/Machine Gun, he will be an unstoppable force with no terrain penalty on top. Pretty amazing :D

If you build a scout, then kill a few barbs with it and promote it with Survivalism I & II, then gets an Archer upgrade, you are in for a treat. Upgrade the Archer (now with Survivalism I & II) to a longbowman for a free Range promotion. Then, level him up to get Logistics, and other upgrades you might like. When this guy upgrades to Gatling/Machine Gun, he will be an unstoppable force with no terrain penalty on top. Pretty amazing :D

You know whats even better then a scout archer or scarcher? A Shoshone Pathfinder Composite bowman. I didn't even have archery researched yet, every other civ on my continent only had warriors. That early in the game there is nothing that can touch a comp bowman that ignores terrain. I completely changed my plans, built a couple more warriors and went on an early game rampage. That one unit, the uber bowman allowed me to conquer the whole continent before any civ even hit the Classical era.

Back to England on Archipelago. Beeline Compass, build some Galleass. There will still be plenty of barb camps all over on isolated islands connected by coastal hexes. Sink barb boats, back off let them spawn another weak ship, sink it, repeat. Basically two free promotions. By the time they get upgraded to Ships Of The Line, with the extra movement and promotions, they are very tough. Go to war and take out coastal cities (pretty much every city on Archipelago) easily. If the game actually goes long enough to promote to Battleship, no city is safe.

I don't see anyway to lose as England on Archipelago. You don't even need an army, just bombard cities to zero and walk in with an old warrior. But yes on Continents Longbowman are great.

I don't see anyway to lose as England on Archipelago. You don't even need an army, just bombard cities to zero and walk in with an old warrior. But yes on Continents Longbowman are great.

Or a Caravel/Ironclad/Destroyer.

Top Bottom