Looking for new challenges

m.cab

Chieftain
Hello fellow civ players and veterans,

i'd like to hear your opinion on how i could get some more satisfaction and tenseness from the game (again).

I guess unlike most of you guys i am still playing vanilla. I am playing the game for about 3 month now and i managed to get every type of victory pretty easy. Most of the time i played pangea and the smaller north america map since i am not 100% convinced of the sea fighting mechanics of the game. Also i am playing one difficulty above normal (king?) and i dont think it makes sense to push the difficulty more because it doesnt make sense to me how it influences the game...the enemies dont get smarter, rather they get advantages respectively i get disadvantages/handicaps. This is not what i consider "balance" in a game just to give a player disadvanteges compared to others.
In lategame i usualy manage to out-tech my opponents and get nuclear power before them to dominate the world. From my experience mostly it comes down to get nuclear power before your enemies do, even if you dont aim for a domination victory because if you dont get the bombs....they will.

I think the biggest problem to me is that the AI is too stupid. After a couple of games one becomes aware of their mechanics. At some point you just know how they will behave and react to certain actions. They are not as complex as it seems in the beginning. In fact i think diplomatics and trading is far more easy then it looks like.

However, this thread is not about how stupid the AI is or criticising the game mechanics. I think this has been discussed a lot already.

What do you guys think, how could i get back some action into my game? Here are some thoughts i have:

-I already played different civilizations and i dont think it makes a huge difference in playstyle. Mostly it changes the early-/midgame a little bit but later on it doesnt really matter...so i dont see that as a option to get some new competition out of the game.

-Should i maybe really get the Add-ons? What i saw and read about them didnt really let me go "WOW". I expect the whole religion and spy stuff more like annoying timestealers then new amazing gamemechanics. Please tell me if i'm wrong here!

-I could imagine new map types could be really interesting. I was f.e. thinking about playing the "many-islands"-map and just give the whole sea-mechanics another try. Are there some maptypes you would recommend?

Please let me know your opinions guys! Thank you! :)

If you don't want to go up in difficulty, then one option is to upgrade to G&K (look for the Gold upgrade on sale) and/or BNW to play a more developed game -- the new systems will engage you for many hundreds of hours.

Alternatively, if you insist on staying with vanilla, you can try your hand at Hall of Fame competitions. Or you can impose limitations on yourself -- domination-only OCC, or play with no ranged units, or win the game without ever researching Writing.

Thanks for advice Browd. Maybe i should get the DLC. Im gonna watch some reviews...

Do you have any tips for nice maps?

I really do suggest BNW. Think of it as Civ 5.5. There are a lot of fundamental changes to the gameplay so perhaps it will reinvigorate your interest. Besides that, most of user mods are created with BNW in mind so that is an alternative pathway should you be bored of BNW.

On maps, i do prefer small continents +2 extra Civs because it offers a mix of naval and land factors to take care of and the extra Civs makes it even more competitive.

Top Bottom