Looooong Games compared to Civ IV

kane65

Chieftain
Is it just me or do games last 3-4x longer in Civ V then IV? It would be nice if there was some way to group units (not stack) so they could move as a unit. It's a pain in the rear directing every troop to the front lines. It may be more realistic but it's very tedious.

Wait times when pressing the next turn button are 3-4X longer... That is probably most of it.

I don't have any issues with troop movements. In Civ 4 I always had to move troops to the front line also which was tedious. The additional placement due to 1UPT I find kind of fun...

Wait times when pressing the next turn button are 3-4X longer... That is probably most of it.

I don't have any issues with troop movements. In Civ 4 I always had to move troops to the front line also which was tedious. The additional placement due to 1UPT I find kind of fun...

and the games really boring.

Is it just me or do games last 3-4x longer in Civ V then IV? It would be nice if there was some way to group units (not stack) so they could move as a unit. It's a pain in the rear directing every troop to the front lines. It may be more realistic but it's very tedious.

Oh, that's easily solved. Just click "Exit to Windows" and the game shortens up nicely. ;)

I just wonder how does stacking units differ from grouping them? Atleast in my opinion it doesn't sound like a good idea to allow even movement in stacks. What would happen when the "group" stops? Also its not realistic that infinite amounts of units can pass a narrow canyon between mountains in one turn.

When it comes to the length of games, you can always choose the quick game option. I don't usually choose it as I find it a bit boring to pass the early eras too fast. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having longer games than in Civ IV as long as they're interesting. However, the modern eras aren't that interesting and I usually start a new game by then.

Nope, I spend about same amount of time moving troops I think it actually takes me less time on civ 5 unless there's a really huge battle that pops out. Only problem is that damnable crashing and turn lag that gives me huge pains cuz I like to play on biggest map possible.

If Civ 5 don't get rid of the crashing plague, I stuck through it with civ 5 and that's enough, I ain't buying civ 6 I'm fed up with it.

I have so many unfinished games on civ 4 due to crashes annoying me away from a good game.

I just wonder how does stacking units differ from grouping them? Atleast in my opinion it doesn't sound like a good idea to allow even movement in stacks. What would happen when the "group" stops? Also its not realistic that infinite amounts of units can pass a narrow canyon between mountains in one turn.

When it comes to the length of games, you can always choose the quick game option. I don't usually choose it as I find it a bit boring to pass the early eras too fast. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having longer games than in Civ IV as long as they're interesting. However, the modern eras aren't that interesting and I usually start a new game by then.

Why not? If the turn supposedly represents some time period between 1 and 20 years, I'd figure that even a million people could navigate a canyon in that time.

I've had a couple boring games but I find the majority aren't boring. Though I think the boredom cause would be helped by faster times to switch turns.

I guess its just me, I dont like really simple games with bad ai.

You're probably right, grouping wouldn't work. In Civ IV you can select where you want your units to go when they are produced. That way, you can have military units to the front lines without directing every move. Something along those lines would be great though I don't see how it could be done. Perhaps stacking could be allowed but only one unit on a tile can function per round. No good solutions here, I just find moving troops to the front lines tedious. Oh well, still a great game.

I found that CiV is a good game to play while cleaning my apartment. When one activates "do not wait on end of turn", all turns without pop-ups go by smoothly. Pop-Ups make a sound which lures me back to the computer :)

It is only a pain in the behind when there's a war, because I sometimes forget moving some of my troops then. But in a building phase, the long breaks really have a constructive effect on me :D

I found that CiV is a good game to play while cleaning my apartment.

Hah, I do this too. Usually this is a sign a game won't be on my play list much longer. I can't bear to turn on the auto-ending turns though. Too many times it's cost me because I couldn't issue new orders to a fortified unit or change some orders because the game spams end of turn and doesn't give a break to properly process user input.

Top Bottom