Losing by winning

Troy Bruckner

Prince
Decided to play Georgia on Diety level. Wasn't paying attention to religion that much. I captured Brazil's capital and instantly lost the game because it gave me a majority of cities with his religion. While funny and perhaps appropriate in regards to Christianity in real life it makes for horrible game play.

It is not a common occurrence and is one of the few ways you will lose to religion.
I imagine you are playing Pangea, it has never happened to me on continents. It is exactly why I play continents. You may want to play Pangea to roll without boats or explore fast but this is the other side of the coin.
You should have paid attention amd sold/given away some cities. Turn off RV if that annoyed, this is not in the same league as other issues but yes, equally as annoying but you should have checked victory conditions at some stage.

I could turn off RV, but I didn't expect to lose by taking a city. As a Gamer that doesn't make sense to me. I should have started an inquisition to purge whatever awful religion the computer made anyways. It's like they make a religion with the worst bonuses just to crap on you with it. Oh and yes I hate having to take an extra 100 turns to hunt down my foes on another island, so I play on Pangea maps.

Yet it does make sense, game-wise : it could be a valid strategy to sacrifice a few cities to ensure a certain type of victory.
As for the principle of it, there's something poetic and brave in this idea of "our empire might crumble, but you shall make yours our beliefs, and in the end, it's our victory, not yours."

I'm impressed Pedro managed to convert all the other civs on deity... Usually RV is an impasse among deity AIs... And Pedro does not strike me as someone who can generate tons of faith compared to more specialized civs

Of course unless you wiped all the other civs out completely except him..

Yet it does make sense

Only in a very gamey kind of way. There's no reason your religion would be better by having that city owned by you or somebody else. Even worse, they are giving a religion victory to somebody who doesnt even own the capital of the winning religion.
I dont mind since I almost never play religion, but no, it does not make sense at all.

Decided to play Georgia on Diety level. Wasn't paying attention to religion that much. I captured Brazil's capital and instantly lost the game because it gave me a majority of cities with his religion. While funny and perhaps appropriate in regards to Christianity in real life it makes for horrible game play.
That happened to me just recently as well. I looked @ the religion victory screen for the next few games then began to ignore it again. Then it happened again in the most recent 6otM. I will surely look then inevitably ignore it again.

Only in a very gamey kind of way. There's no reason your religion would be better by having that city owned by you or somebody else. Even worse, they are giving a religion victory to somebody who doesnt even own the capital of the winning religion.
I dont mind since I almost never play religion, but no, it does not make sense at all.
I think of it as an occult version (tendrils everywhere) of cow-tipping. You have to catch them off guard, and it’s difficult to do because of girth, but once you get the cow moving (ie. take that last city) the momentum of the thing is unstoppable…

Cow Tipping

Mythical rural activity in which the perpetrators sneak up on a sleeping, standing cow in the dead of night and push it over sideways. Tends not to work for several reasons:

1. Cows don't sleep standing up (unlike horses, which do), nor do they zone out while standing up unless they're seriously ill.
2. Cows are quite heavy.
3. Dairy farmers hate this sort of thing and will probably become agitated if they spot you trying.

It happens to me more than I like to admit. You either switch targets to take out the religious leader or you spend a ton of faith converting all your cities to some other AI religion. Not really fun as you said to be crushing the AI to have it bassackwards its win into a victory.

Side note: Cow Tipping is real. Go live next to a dairy fair with a bunch of bored kids in a rural town. Cows are dumb, dairy cows aren't massive, and point 3 is true.

It happens to me more than I like to admit. You either switch targets to take out the religious leader or you spend a ton of faith converting all your cities to some other AI religion. Not really fun as you said to be crushing the AI to have it bassackwards its win into a victory.

Side note: Cow Tipping is real. Go live next to a dairy fair with a bunch of bored kids in a rural town. Cows are dumb, dairy cows aren't massive, and point 3 is true.
I had heard it on good authority that it was real as well. Both Wikipedia and the Urban Dictionary say otherwise though.

Oh and yes I hate having to take an extra 100 turns
Ah a unit wargamer, enough said.
Cows are dumb,
That made me realise you are not on the right farm. Horses are dumb, cows are quite smart.
Cow Tipping is real. Go live next to a dairy fair with a bunch of bored kids in a rural town.
Go to snopes. The debunking website.
... and 2 things to clarify.
We tried cow tipping when young and a friend got kicked very badly in the thigh. We tried a few times. Lying on the ground with them works but not tipping them... I mean cmon, predators?
I asked a cow farmer a few years ago who delivers our hay, he just laughed and suggested you get all the stupid people to try it, it would help the gene pool.

Even better, YouTube it.

Last edited:
Back on topic, I'm wondering what would happen if every civ but you had the same majority religion, and taking the last original capital was enough to make that religion the majority in your civ (thereby triggering both victories at once). Which victory would apply?

There are several ways it could work out:
- One victory always trumps the other.
- A human player's victory always trumps the AI's, or vice-versa (in which case another tiebreaker is needed if both players are human/AI).
- The player with the highest/lowest player number wins (in which case another tiebreaker is needed for the very rare case where the same player is winning both victories).

EDIT: You could probably work it out to trigger a culture victory at the same time, too, if the last original capital was also the last city of the only civ that hadn't succumbed to the dominant culture. Actually, you could easily win all three victories at once by completely eliminating the other civs and saving a capital for last, but I suspect it would count as a domination victory.

Last edited:
I imagine you are playing Pangea, it has never happened to me on continents. It is exactly why I play continents. You may want to play Pangea to roll without boats or explore fast but this is the other side of the coin..

I prefer Continents, but I've been stuck playing Pangea until they fix the barbarian bug (I presume it's a bug) that only puts them on one continent. They really need to come out with a patch soon to fix that! :sad:

I just disable religious victory. It doesn't have much bearing on how I want to play the game. The only religious challenge I want is getting a religion with the perks I want.

Top Bottom