Lost the Rise of Rome biq file?

Chalito

Warlord
I have lost the Rise of Rome biq file somehow. It’s not in the trash bin and doesn’t show up in file search. Anyway, I still have the MP biq file for Rise of Rome. Does anybody know any gameplay differences between the two? Can I play the MP file as single player and still be the same?

Does anybody know any gameplay differences between the two? Can I play the MP file as single player and still be the same?
IIRC, the main (only?) difference between the solo-versions and the MP-versions of the Firaxis-Scenarios, is that the latter have only 8 Civs in total; when the solo-versions started with more than that, the more minor Civs were removed, and their towns deleted or donated to the remaining (major) Civs.

But IIRC, RoR had only 8 Civs to start with (Rome vs. Carthage, Greece vs. Persia, Egypt, Celts, Saxons?, Sassanids?), so in this case, I would imagine that the MP-version isn't significantly different from the solo-version. Assuming that it is only the .biq that you've mislaid, and you still have all the associated RoR-files and -folders in your ../Conquests/Conquests/ directory(?), you should be OK in terms of simply playing the MP-.biq as a solo game.

However, to get any scores recorded in your "Conquests!" Hall of Fame, some extra steps might be needed.

The game .exe can read that HoF-file to see which Conquests have been completed successfully, and which one(s) should be played next (once you've won all nine, there's a little victory-video, starring Sid Meier!) — so each of the Conquests is numbered (Mesopotamia = 1 ... WWII Pacific = 9; IIRC, RoR is the second Conquest in this sequence).

So first of all, you would likely need to copy the MP-version of the .biq back into the ../Conquests/Conquests/ directory, and you would then likely also need to rename it to match the style of the other solo-version Conquests .biqs (e.g. deleting "MP", adding the number). You may also need to open that copied/renamed .biq in the Editor, and double-check that the "Scenario Properties" window shows the correct sequence-number.

Failing that, I would be willing to attach a copy of my RoR .biq to a subsequent post or PM (subject to obtaining permission from a friendly Moderator — but since you wouldn't be able to use it without having the game installed, we should be okay under Forum Rules).

As a possible alternative, you might want to have a look at the "Downloads" section for mod-mods of this Scenario. The most recent of these that I know of is @Nintendohomie's Chris's Rome Remix, a highly extended version which was designed to replace the original solo-version.

Ah, thank you so much for your help! I think I will copy and rename the MP file then. I have downloaded Chris Rome Remix file and that’s when it happened. It’s just so strange that it disappeared on me.

The Rome Remix mod, if installed in @Nintendohomie's recommended location in ../Conquests/Conquests/, will (and is intended to) overwrite the Firaxis version, including its .biq.

That's why I advised (in that mod's thread) to either back up the original files before installing the mod, or install the mod in ../Conquests/Scenarios/ instead...

ok well how can I fix that so that it doesnt happen. As far as I know it didnt erase the orignal BIQ because I still have mine on my copmuter ?

once you've won all nine, there's a little victory-video, starring Sid Meier!
Wow, didn't know that!
I'm sure I have completed all 9 scenarios over the years, but I guess on different computers over time, that's why I was never shown that video...? :(

Perhaps an incentive for me to give them a go once again?! I have a longer summer vacation this year... :mischief:

ok well how can I fix that so that it doesnt happen. As far as I know it didnt erase the orignal BIQ because I still have mine on my copmuter ?
I'm not an expert modder, but perhaps it is possible to give the .biq file of your scenario a different name?

Someone just posted this:

The problem is apparently inherent to the GOG DL-package (among others), which was/is inexplicably missing the RoR .biq(!) — as I discovered myself when I went looking for it on my desktop-copy of C3C, which I'd re-installed (replacing the previous installation, DL'd from GamersGate) relatively recently from GOG, in order to use @Flintlock's patch-system.

(@Nintendohomie : just FTR, I found I had not installed your RoR .biq either...)

Fortunately for me, I still have the older GG-version installed on our old WinXP laptop, so I could copy the missing Firaxis RoR .biq onto a flashdrive, and transfer it across to the "newer" machine
(which has recently started giving me warnings that Win8.1 support will be discontinued in January 2023 :mad: so I will have to either upgrade to Win11 :vomit: or move to a Linux distro ... )

Someone just posted this:

The problem is apparently inherent to the GOG DL-package (among others), which was/is inexplicably missing the RoR .biq(!) — as I discovered myself when I went looking for it on my desktop-copy of C3C, which I'd re-installed (replacing the previous installation, DL'd from GamersGate) relatively recently from GOG, in order to use @Flintlock's patch-system.

(@Nintendohomie : just FTR, I found I had not installed your RoR .biq either...)

Fortunately for me, I still have the older GG-version installed on our old WinXP laptop, so I could copy the missing Firaxis RoR .biq onto a flashdrive, and transfer it across to the "newer" machine
(which has recently started giving me warnings that Win8.1 support will be discontinued in January 2023 :mad: so I will have to either upgrade to Win11 :vomit: or move to a Linux distro ... )
Yep, I had thought about just replying to this thread but didn't want to necro (probably would have been fine). It would appear to me that GOG uses the DRM-free version of Civ III included on the Euro bundle DVD with IV, which was also the first Complete to not come with vanilla or PTW .exes out of the box.

Ah so that is what happened, I never had it to begin with!!! Damn it GOG!!!’

Top Bottom