LOTR mod

agonistes

wants his subs under ice!
These guys did a great job! I just started playing this, and it has refreshed my love for this game. I suggest people try the mod out if they haven't.

I also really like the 360x360 map, it is very detailed. Ton of work must have gone into this.

I made a few adjustments to make the mod more suitable to my preferences and play style. Currently, I am in one of the most fun games I have every played on any version of Civ. Because of this, I am going to share the few tweaks I made.

Remember, the map is 360x360, HUGE.

Placed cities for the civs. Mordor has @ 20, The Shire 5, Harad and Easterlings @6, most other civs have 10-15. Mainly I did this so notable cities would be in their proper place (like the necromancer's/Sauron's in Mirkwood), and then had to add cities for balance. The elven cities are a bit spread out, and the dwarves, in addition to the expected start, have a small northern presence near Dale - as well as Moria, Lower Moria, and Upper Moria amond their starting cities.

Set minimum research time to 10 turns. With this many cities, techs would come too quickly.

Removed settlers from the game, then set their cost to 0 pop and 0 gold. Then set Palace to pop a settler every 40 turns. Then changed one Great Wonder into a Small Wonder, made it so it is rendered obsolete by the Shire tech, set it to pop a settler every 50 turns, and put one in a city for every civ except the The Shire (not always in the capital city though). This controls the spread of cities, which retains the beauty of the map for a longer time. Next game, I think I will play with the rate of settler production some more. I even debated not giving The Shire any settler at all. Ah, and tooke the wheels off of the settlers because cities can be built on mountains.

Placed only 5 or 6 Oliphaunts on the map, and only to far Southeast.

Adjusted the resources to give more gold, and appear more, and also set roads to give +2 commerce instead of +1. This allows for larger armies. Then I redistributed the resources, then gave Mordor some extra cattle.

Gave Agmar and Mordor a city starting with the spider-producing wonder.

Allow cities on mountains (forgot to allow colonies on mountains too, but will probably put this in next game).

Added city names to all of the city lists, especially Isengard.

Removed all victory conditions and time limit (although I will of course play games that allow for the trilogy victory - the idea for that was fantastic).

Alliances - tried various approaches. No matter the variation, I always keep The Shire locked with one human civ, or the hobbits would be swallowed whole. So far, Mordor without fail goes to war with Minas Tirith very quickly. I've been playing mostly as the Witch-King, and being the humble servant of Sauron irked me. I want the world for myself, so this game, even though he already out-cities me by 12 or so, I'm gunning for him (currently building a road south beetween Mists and the river, towards the necromancer... hee hee hee).

And voila! The game is awesome. Just awesome. You guys did a super job with it.

Oh... replaced the flood planes with true marshes, and allow mushrooms (+1 food, +1 shield, +1 commerce or so) on grass, hills, forest, marsh, and allow wasteland (+1 food, +1 commerce or so) on grassland and marsh (and renamed it Goblin Weed). It looks nice seeing mushrooms spread out in places, adds to the fantasy feel.

As for the civs that don't really fit the map, I put them in anyway. I chose the west (I have some Sindar to the NE on the lake). Anywhere would work, even directly south of Gondor.

Seriously, this map is cool. I can't imagine how much sweat went into making it. Even after working on it in the editor, I'm still thrilled by exploring it with my scouts and watching my world map grow. If you read the books, check this mod out.

Credit and props to all!

I have read the official LOTR string, and didn't see much commentary on people's game experiences with it. Mostly bugs or praise (praise is good). AM hoping to see some posts here about people's play on the mod.

iirc the mod was never finished in terms of fixing all the issue like pedia and units. This tends to make mods annoying after a short while. Only a few full on mods got to the final polish as far as I can tell.

The other thing is a 362x362 is a killer map and will wear down even most die hards.

Can someone link the download please :) I would love to try this out seems brilliant

Top Bottom