Lux trading Rule #1

Chabshaile

Chieftain
Always, always, always... Make sure to click your lux out of the trade to make sure you have multiple. The ONE time i forgot to do so in order to get a 7 GPT I wanted was the one time it was my last copy and put me at -3 Happy. Let this be a lesson to us all, new and old alike, always click out of a lux trade to confirm the number.

This has been a Public Service Announcement from Chabshaile, your local anti Dumb advocate.

Actually this doesnt work.

You unclick it, and it displays that you have 2, then you trade it away. Then the next turn you have 0, like wth. Just cancel the trade and wait until the next turn always.

Yeah, no matter how many copies you have, when you unclick, it shows you as having 2. I do not understand why, but it is a bit bugged.

I think this happens when a trade involving the same luxury is expiring. I think if you just don't re-sign the expiring trade you'll be okay. Safest is to wait and trade during your turn like you said.

Another thing that can happen is if you're getting a second copy of a luxury from a city state, it will say you only have one copy in the trade screen, which you can still safely trade with no happiness loss as long as you are getting the second luxury.

Most the times I fall for this problem it is because a trade agreement ends, I retrade and then another civ asks for it on the same turn. I can click on the luxury to see if I have two copies, and it will show I have 2 copies, but if I trade, I'll end up with 0. The best I can figure is that your trade agreement will not go into play until it is your turn again.

I'm only speculating here but I think that's how it works behind the scene:
- your trade agreement expires;
- civ Y contacts you about the resource that just became available and when you check it, you've got two so you sell it;
(your resource pool is not updated yet because it's still AI's turn)
- civ X with who you had your original agreement asks you to renew it and since you have 2 copies of the resource, you agree;
- your turn starts, both trades are taken into account, ya dun goof'd.

There is also the situation when you had 2 copies and become no more available to you (someone stole the land with it or something like that) and you just renew the deal for what is now the only copy you have.

Speaking about the last luxury you have...
If you sell the last copy of your luxury or strategic resource, the tile improvement on this resource becomes effectively invisible for barbarians. Not in all cases, I think, but many a time barbarians plundered my resources only to the point when I had none left but my trades were still active.

I think this happens when a trade involving the same luxury is expiring. I think if you just don't re-sign the expiring trade you'll be okay. Safest is to wait and trade during your turn like you said.

Another thing that can happen is if you're getting a second copy of a luxury from a city state, it will say you only have one copy in the trade screen, which you can still safely trade with no happiness loss as long as you are getting the second luxury.
That's also my observation.

The reason for this is - as far as I can tell - that the Ai will try to reestablish deals that have been active in the past, even if they haven't been active for quite some time, as soon as it sees you have multiple copies again - to the first AI wants you to make a deal, you accept, but that deal doesn't really become active until it's your turn, so another AI that had a deal in the past will also offer you a new deal and suddenly you give away both of your copies.

So basically... don't accept two deals for the same luxury on the same turn - accepting one should be fine though. Never had problems with that.

If it makes you feel any better, I have gotten click-happy and traded uranium to my friendly neighbor ghandi. Nothing like getting nuked BY YOUR OWN URANIUM.

Where do you look to see how much of a luxury resource you have? Are you talking about the (1) next to it? Cause I'll trap 2 ivories, and it'll still show up as (1) Ivory. Then I'll trade it, and still get the happiness from it.

I actually Googled how to check it, and couldn't find a good answer. Also, is there anyway to see how much happiness another empire has?

If it makes you feel any better, I have gotten click-happy and traded uranium to my friendly neighbor ghandi. Nothing like getting nuked BY YOUR OWN URANIUM.

Never trade uranium. NEVER.

Actually, never trade strat resources that can be used against yourself (if you trade iron with someone far far away, maybe it's ok because they likely won't cross the world to use their longswordsman against you).

Just to be safe, only trade iron/horses after modern era, and maybe oil/aluminum to "medieval" AIs. Nothing else for anyone: no coal = no factories, no uranium = no nukes.

Simple as that.

Actually, never trade strat resources that can be used against yourself (if you trade iron with someone far far away, maybe it's ok because they likely won't cross the world to use their longswordsman against you).

But if they declare war on you, won't they lose the resource and get a resource penalty to those units?

Yes, they will, except in the case of coal (factories still operate with a coal shortage) and uranium (existing A-bombs and nukes still go boom).

Trading horses and iron in the early/mid-game can be critical. Five strategics will get you a luxury (assuming normal relations with the AI) or as much as 10 gpt, depending on how many different AI you can trade with.

Top Bottom