MAC-01 Indonesia

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Welcome to the first (that I'm aware of) all Mac users Succession Game!

In order to make sure everyone has what is needed to play the game, I turned off all DLC except Gods & Kings and Brave New World. Our settings are:

Our starting location is:

Spoiler Starting Location :

Roster:
Methos <- Up!
dojoboy <- On deck
2cool4civ
EricTheGreat12

While I know dojoboy is an old hand at SG's, I'm not sure about 2cool4civ or EricTheGreat12, so I just wanted to reiterate that we play as a team in the order of the roster. In other words, don't play the save unless its your turn. If you need a skip or swap at any point, don't hesitate to ask. Real life comes up and its understandable.

Unfortunately I have to leave soon, so I can't say much at the moment, but wow, both stone and marble! I'm inclined to move the warrior 1SE to open up a little bit more of the south.

Attachments

• Settings.png
    Settings.png
    491.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Starting Location.jpg
    Starting Location.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,072
Awesome!

Just popping in after the work day. So, once I've showered up and stuffed my belly, I'll take a deeper look.

Thanks, Methos!

I'm inclined to move the warrior 1SE to open up a little bit more of the south.

A good move. Definitely settle where we are for trade routes.

Something to consider for future placements is that we cannot build our UB (Candi) unless the city is on a river or lake.

Suggest tech'ing Pottery > Sailing.

We may not exploit a religion in the end, but a pantheon bonus asap would be nice. Plus, we need to keep in mind that whoever meets all the civs and reaches PP first host the initial Congress meetings. That said, in my personal games I never go that route. I work to Banking and pop the FP (Note: first have to open Patronage to build the FP), with a saved GE, for the +2 votes in the Congress. Even though we're looking to place restrictions on a DV, we don't want to get embargoed, etc.

Commerce branch is gonna provide us some real bonuses for :c5gold: and the projection of naval power. We need to make sure we're communicating well prior to turn sets. Timing is critical to have access to certain GW's. No one should hesitate to come back and seek advice during their turn set, if developments change things.

Early builds? Scout and Monument. Scout for exploration, ruins etc. Monument to push our culture for SP's. I've been in the habit of not building workers, on King, instead, I build the GP (2 free workers) and snag Citizenship (free worker). AI's have limited :c5gold: per turn in the early game. Yet, that very well may not be the case on emperor.

Recommend Tradition with first SP for the +3 :c5culture: , then Liberty for the +1 :c5culture: . After that, see how gameplay is going.

I dont think you guys will agree with me on this one, but what I would usually do is that i get rid of my warrior and just build a scout.

Why:
1-Scout can move better in terrain
2-If you disabled barbarians, the warrior won't be useful

I dont think you guys will agree with me on this one, but what I would usually do is that i get rid of my warrior and just build a scout.

Why:
1-Scout can move better in terrain
2-If you disabled barbarians, the warrior won't be useful

I would be surprised if Methos disabled barbarians. And, we can scout with the warrior while we build the scout.

Other thoughts, any units built before sailing cannot embark, so something to remember. That one always bites me in the butt.

If you disabled barbarians, the warrior won't be useful

I would be surprised if Methos disabled barbarians.

Barbarians are in the game. All VC's are enabled and nothing has been disabled.

I agree on not building the worker. I typically start with Scout -> Scout -> Monument and then use the gold from meeting city states and popping goody huts to buy my first worker. I typically go Tradition and let the free culture building be something other then the monument.

dojoboy said:
Suggest tech'ing Pottery > Sailing.

Why Sailing so soon? The primary logical reasoning would be an early Trireme for exploring, or do you have another reason? Edit: Missed this sentence:

Other thoughts, any units built before sailing cannot embark, so something to remember. That one always bites me in the butt.

Yes, that gets me all the time. It's so annoying. I understand your logic now. :D

I typically run a wide circle pattern with my warrior to clear fog around my capital and then my two scouts head out for the long haul in opposite directions. I admit in the end my scouts typically get trapped somewhere a long ways off, but their goal is to hit as many goody huts and city states as possible.

Typically my first move is the warrior to clear the fog to better determine where to plant my capital, but I think I'm in agreement with dojoboy in settling in place.

Tech wise I typically go Pottery -> Writing for the early Library, but the whole idea of SG's is to learn, so I'm curious how others would play it and their reasoning.

If the team would prefer, we can move the warrior to see what all is to the south of us? I think I'd go SW-SE as that would clear more of the fog.

Tech wise I typically go Pottery -> Writing for the early Library, but the whole idea of SG's is to learn, so I'm curious how others would play it and their reasoning.

I lean on my spies to steal techs, which works really well until an AI chooses Order (Double Agents, which is a first tier selection). So, I tend to build libraries a little later. However, like you, I'm curious to other approaches. I'll defer.

If the team would prefer, we can move the warrior to see what all is to the south of us? I think I'd go SW-SE as that would clear more of the fog.

You know, that might be the best move. The initial thought to move 1 SE isn't gonna penetrate the fog much more than it already is, and we can make a solid educated guess of what the partially fogged tiles are.

Why Sailing so soon? The primary logical reasoning would be an early Trireme for exploring, or do you have another reason? Edit: Missed this sentence:
:D

Mainly to meet CS's for the :c5gold: ~ since BNW, I've noticed that there are fewer "continental" based CS's. Most seem to be scattered on islands.

Mainly to meet CS's for the :c5gold: ~ since BNW, I've noticed that there are fewer "continental" based CS's. Most seem to be scattered on islands.

In my experience particularly on continents plus though, I've seen extreme things like 8 civs being on one continent and all CSs being on the other. On regular continents that's usually more balanced for me.

I agree we should open with pottery. It's gonna take a while before we can work the dyes and marble anyway. Mining isn't really a priority yet.

One thing we could do with the warrior is move it two hexes to the right so we'll have a better look at the east coast. There may be some sea recourses there we would get if we move the settler over to the stone, which would still allow us to found Jakarta in the first turn. In case there's more land north of the dyes, we'd also have a nice shortcut/canal thing going on.

Next turn we could move the warrior to the southern hill for a better view of the environs.

As for first production, I always find scout->monument to be the way to go.

One thing we could do with the warrior is move it two hexes to the right so we'll have a better look at the east coast.

I'm not sure about this. From the screenshot it really looks like water on the other side, so I hate to move the warrior 2SE for nothing. I like the idea of a canal and if it is a skinny part it would be extremely nice. :hmm: If someone else doesn't do it before hand, then I'll really zoom in and see if I can determine if its a coast or not.

What do the rest of you think about this? If it isn't coast is it worth putting the settler on the stone to form a canal?

As for first production, I always find scout->monument to be the way to go.

It appears we're all in agreement on Pottery and a Scout, so tonight, assuming my Masonic Lodge doesn't get out too late, then I'll play my turnset. If there's still a question regarding 2cool4civ's idea, then I'll just zoom in and possibly move the warrior 2SE. If people are against the idea, or the zooming indicates coast, then I'll continue on with settle in place. If its too hard to tell, I'll take a screenshot and post it.

I might be missing something, but a canal doesn't seem to offer a huge advantage here. If it was an isthmus, then sure. And, would we not gain more from improving the stone than settling on it?

The only reason I would consider doing it if that was basically our Panama, as in on the other side it opened up into a large landmass or something. I highly doubt it, but I saw no reason to simply dismiss it without some consideration.

I think we can wait a turn to settle, if you investigate it with the settler and it proves not to be an isthmus.

After seeing our map, this is going to be a very interesting game.

Turn 0, 4000 BC: I zoomed in as far as I could and I just can't tell if the land continues or not, so I moved the warrior 2SE and while that did show us some fish and a 1 tile island, it still didn't tell us what we wanted to know. I don't think its worth moving the settler, since the fish is still within three hexes.

Cupertino is founded in the starting position, with production begun on a scout (7 turns due to citizen on the cow - 3 :food: ). We begin researching Pottery.

Spoiler :

Turn 1, 3960 BC: Warrior spots some clams SE of Cupertino.

Turn 2, 3920 BC: Looks like our starting location isn't very tall in regards to the north/south area.

Turn 5, 3800 BC: Cupertino grows to size 2. I lock the citizens on the cow and stone.

Turn 6, 3760 BC: Cupertino Scout -> Monument. The Warrior was forced to turn west due to the coast and it looks like we have one heck of a defendable starting location. That, or were screwed and locked into this little area.

Spoiler :

Turn 7, 3720 BC: Well that sucks! We're blocked to the west by the mountain range. Luckily I moved the warrior first, so we only lost one turn of movement on the scout, who turns back east.

Spoiler :

Turn 8, 3680 BC: Well, at least we have a highly defensible location. No access to us except for by sea.

Spoiler :

IT: We learn Pottery

Turn 9, 3640 BC:

Here's a look at Cupertino:

Spoiler :

If you can't tell by the screenshots, let me just say that we have coast to our north, east, and south and a mountain range to our west. We have no way to explore any further then we already have. So I'm inclined to go with dojoboy's earlier suggestion and research Sailing next. :D

Spoiler :

We also only have three luxes (Dyes x2, Crabs, & Marble). Our second city we plant here should go on the hex 1NW of the Sheep in the southeast corner. It'll grab the crabs (lux), the other Dye, and three Fish.

Spoiler :

Here's the 3940 BC save.

Roster:
Methos
dojoboy <- Up!
2cool4civ <- On deck
EricTheGreat12

Attachments

• empire overview.jpg
    empire overview.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 942
  • 2nd city placement.png
    2nd city placement.png
    430.3 KB · Views: 949
  • cupertino.jpg
    cupertino.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 935
  • Cupertino founded.jpg
    Cupertino founded.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 904
  • possibly screwed.jpg
    possibly screwed.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 981
  • yep were screwed.jpg
    yep were screwed.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 947
  • northeast corner.jpg
    northeast corner.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 985
  • pottery.png
    pottery.png
    191 KB · Views: 961
  • Mac-01_0009 BC-3640.Civ5Save
    636.3 KB · Views: 310
Solid opening play, Methos. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town today. Returning tomorrow night. I'll review the save Sunday morning and play my turnset that day, if that's okay with everyone. ???

Top Bottom