Mac?

There is no news. At this point, it is probably safe to say that there will be no Mac version at release. The collective wisdom here is that there will later be a port. It is not clear if the PC version of the game will scale down far enough to run in VirtualBox or Parallels. Your best bet at the moment is to use Boot Camp, until Firaxis and 2K join Valve and Blizzard in the 21. century.

Unfortunately there is no news yet and without an official announcement that a Mac version is even in development it could be a long way off.

find a student and buy W7 64 bit Home Premium for $60

boot camp is well... Apple, even Johann and Brodie can set it up

Link to video.

on a side note:

OS X :love:

I am not sure if Walmart is wrong or right, but if you hold them to their add. It says PC/MAC.

Sure the Mac looks easier, but...all that simplicity and streamlining...it must be dumbed down.

Can you buy the mac os? If so why not build a pc that can actually play games, and be upgradable, then install mac os, and windows for gaming? Or you can pay a premium for a computer not qualified to play games, unless civs your only game of course! Anyone who seriously considers themselves a pc gamer should definetly not be using a mac.....

Can you buy the mac os? If so why not build a pc that can actually play games, and be upgradable, then install mac os, and windows for gaming? Or you can pay a premium for a computer not qualified to play games, unless civs your only game of course! Anyone who seriously considers themselves a pc gamer should definetly not be using a mac.....

Why not? I mean, I can easily put on Windows and run everything you run.

I was even about to, just to play Civ, but after wrestling with five different Microsoft operators about the bum product key they gave me (something that Apple doesn't do, I might add) I realized that even if Windows 7 is finally a decent product, Microsoft is still Microsoft and I want nothing to do with them. I'll just have to pick some hacker types' brains to get Civ 5 running through Wine next week.

The Mac Pro seems reasonable powerful, you can get up to hexacore @3.33GHz in the SP and dual Hexacore @2.93GHz in the DP comes with either 1-2 5770s or a 5870

The iMac has a Radeon 5750 thus meeting recommended specs

You can upgrade the CPUs in the Mac Pro and iMac. What do you mean by upgradeable?

I don't know what a dp is, and for whatever reason I had been under the impresion you couldn't upgrade hardware with macs(ignorance). My bad. I just looked at the site, and the pc I saw with the radeons had xeons, not really meant for gaming, but the there was too much to check out in such a short time! Still the prices were a tad ridiculous, if you ask me. Can you buy the os seperatly?

Why not? I mean, I can easily put on Windows and run everything you run.

I was even about to, just to play Civ, but after wrestling with five different Microsoft operators about the bum product key they gave me (something that Apple doesn't do, I might add) I realized that even if Windows 7 is finally a decent product, Microsoft is still Microsoft and I want nothing to do with them. I'll just have to pick some hacker types' brains to get Civ 5 running through Wine next week.

Does that mean I can buy the mac os? Edit: googles my friend :). I see you can! Ya so why spend way more money than you need to, and just build a good rig, and get your mac with it?

I don't know what a dp is, and for whatever reason I had been under the impresion you couldn't upgrade hardware with macs(ignorance). My bad. I just looked at the site, and the pc I saw with the radeons had xeons, not really meant for gaming, but the there was too much to check out in such a short time! Still the prices were a tad ridiculous, if you ask me. Can you buy the os seperatly?

DP=Dual Processor
Xeons are basically the same thing as i7s except some can be used paired while an i7 has to be SP (single processor). Xeons are fine to game with, some overclockers actually like Xeons just because they can take vastly more abuse before failing than an i7

How about Civ 5 for mac? any news anything?

When was the last time a Civ came out with a Mac version on the same day as the PC version?

On Civ 4, there wasn't a mac version until after the first expansion pack for PC came out (or around then, I don't quite remember).

Historically, Mac users have been screwed over by the Civ Franchise; and for a game that doesn't pride itself on historical accuracy, they seem to do a decent job of repeating some of the same choices.

MAC:

Spoiler :

PC:

Spoiler :

rock on next tuesday...

rock on next tuesday...

So, what you are trying to say is that Macs are getting better and better with each coming year, while Windows is an old has-been that doesn't play well with others, looks like something the cat dragged in, and tends to show irrational and destructive behavior?

Yeah, sounds about right to me, too :).

On a more serious note, for those who haven't tried it, Boot Camp is easy to install (the Mac part, that is, XP is still the PITA it always was). Remember to have the disk tool thingy check your permissions and the hard drive before you use it. And no, you can't install BC to a second, external drive.

Top Bottom