Macintosh Tech Support/Game FAQ

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Ok all you Mac users! I've decided to make a FAQ just for this forum! The next two posts will list the post number that the question is on.

Macintosh Civ3 Support

-- Macintosh Civ3 FAQ Index --

-- Macintosh Tech Support FAQ --

Post #7 - How to fix corrupted saves
Post #9 - How to upload SAV.zip, jpg, etc.
Post#12 - Inverted colors

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
:worshp:

Um, just a little thing, but it will probably bother people - there is only one h in Macintosh.

Oh, almost forgot to register a "thank you" as well.

Chieftess - Ditto on the thank you's!!!

Offered by DiamondzAndGunz ---

1. First, launch ResEdit (no-brainer)
2. Go to the file menu, and go down to 'Get File/Folder info...'
3. Locate and open the save file.
4. In the 'Type' field, enter 'GAMs' (case sensitive!) (without quotes, of course.)
5. In the 'Creater' field, enter 'Civ3' (same as above, case sensitive, no quotes)
6. Go to the file menu, and go down to Save
7. Go to the file menu, and go down to Quit.

Offered by tao ---

for MacOS 9.x:
use the "More File Info CMM Plug-in" by Hide Itoh to set type and creator in one easy step

for MacOS X:
ctrl-click on the fiile and set "open with..." to Civilization III

This worked for me all the times.

PS: If you are interested in the how and why, read "Type and Creator Codes" in Chapter 4 of David Pogue's "MacOS X - The Missing Manual".

Offered by Nixnutz ---

After I decompressed GOTM8, I double-clicked on it. My browser opened and it was blank.

I dragged the decompressed file into my Civ3 SAVES folder, (it decompressed as a SimpleText file) started Civ3 and opened the file with the LOAD GAME button. It started up with no problem.

One of the first things I was taught, whether its Mac or darkside, was that if the double-click doesn't work, open the file from within the application. Many programs are able to repair some of the problems through the format change process.

Originally posted by Beamup
Um, just a little thing, but it will probably bother people - there is only one h in Macintosh.
"Machintosh"? The "Mach" part, right? Maybe she's posting with a really fast Mac. Or maybe it's an homage to the Mach kernal...

Any file larger than 102 kb must be uploaded to the uploads3 page, using the Upload feature found at the bottom of most pages (right-hand side).

1st - click 'Upload'

2nd - browse and attach file, then upload

3rd - Using the [http://] feature available on the post-reply page, type in first the word or phrase you wish to identify the uploaded file. Example = Saved game. Then, you'll be given a window to type in the web address for the uploads3 page (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/). Be sure to type in the name of your saved file following uploads3/. Note = if there are spaces in the name, _ are automatically inserted.

4th - post reply.

So where do we ask about things that we think the answers to should be here somewhere? For example, one of the questions I think should be answered here is what things on this mostly PC site will work for us. I asked a while back about whether graphic modpacks, scenarios, custom units, etc. would work for me and did not receive an answer that I understood, nor have I found (of course maybe I haven't looked hard enough yet) any instructions or pointers for how to use them and/or how to tell what will work with the Mac version and what won't. Thanks. Heike

Graphics packs will work. In fact, most of us seem to be running Snoopy's terrain. Rules/scenarios will work if they were created with 1.21 or earlier - 1.29 was released on July 18, 2002, so anything dated prior to that should work. Custom units, AFAIK, cannot be used by us since they require the editor to add them into the game - possibly the Windows editor under VPC may be able to do this, or when ours gets released it may have the capability.

During a pre-work round of C3, my monitor colors inverted! It's like looking at an color x-ray. That was cool for about 3 seconds, but now I need my regular colors back. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Thulsa Doom
During a pre-work round of C3, my monitor colors inverted! It's like looking at an color x-ray. That was cool for about 3 seconds, but now I need my regular colors back. Any ideas?

Just a couple of questions. Is it like that all the time, or only in Civ? Have you tried restarting (mebbe a stupid question, but, ya kno...)? Maybe you could try fiddling around with the colors/resolutions, maybe the monitor will reset or something. Just some ideas.

I run VPC 5/Win 98 on my TiBook, but am not really familiar with working with scenarios, modpacks, etc. If someone would like me to give the Win editor a shot I'd be happy to. Just to see if Mac files modded that way will work.

I could use some guidance. Do I need to go pick up a Windows version of Civ? Or will the editor stand alone under VPC? Has anyone out there done this?

Ok, let's see here.

1. Yes, files modded with the editor in VPC will work (been there, done that). You can download the 1.21 pc editor... somewhere around here.

2. Nope, you don't need the Windows version. You just need to direct it over to your civ 3 folder, and it'll sort out all the art n all. It'll tell you when you start up the program that it can't find Civ 3.exe or something of that sort, but just click ignore. Doesn't really effect anything...

3. Yes, I do it all the time, the only thing is it is EXTREMELY slow. Useless for editing maps, rules are fine to edit, though.

Note: The following is copied from a post I printed up about a year ago. If you authored it, please PM me, and I'll edit in credit.

<Command-Shift-3> places a full screenshot in a TIFF file called 'Picture 1' (or some other number) on your statup disk under classic OS and on your desktop under OS X.

Press <Command-Shift-4> to drag a specific area to capture.

To attach a file in a post, it must be no larger than 102 kb. If your pic is larger than 102 kb, then it must be uploaded using the 'Upload File" option found at the bottom of the page, right-hand side.

Well, I guess this is as good a place as any to post this.....

How about a complete listing of key shortcuts? I don't mean the basic key commands like I for Irrigate- I mean the stuff that isn't in the manual like Ctrl-Shift-click in the Foreign Advisor screen to add a civ that isn't pictured.

That's got to be around here someplace!

Top Bottom