Many Wonders: Do you play with them?

King Morius

Warlord
I've read here and there of experiences over playing with a lot of wonders. What are the differences gameplay-wise? Do you like to play with many wonders? Which number of wonders are good for you and which are too many? Finally, any modded wounder you would recommend? Any modded wonder you recommend to avoid?

I used to love the Great Library, but rarely, if ever go for it now (early settlers much more valuable). I like to pick up the Temple of Artemis if it doesn't go, and I can squeeze it in. I always try to get Alhambra and/or Brandenberg, And lastly, there is nothing better than a strong Petra city.

In general though, I don't tend to prioritise wonders that highly, they can improve your game, but I"m a big fan of running pure research (after education) when I've got gaps in my prod. cue.

Petra goes without saying. If there is a suitable location then all trade routes goes for it.
ToA is amazing though highly contested (available for everyone, AI can build it right from the start).
GL is great for prince and lower, not so much beyond that.
Pyramid + Liberty-citizenship for wide (maybe conquering) game, for half improvement time.
Hagia Sophia + Great Mosque + Borobudur for the lulz of religion.
Alhambra + Brandenburg Gate for ultimate XCOM squads.
Great Work & Tourism Wonders goes without saying to benefit from multipliers.

I did try for ultimate wonder run (build all in one game without war) but missed one, was a lot of fun balancing build queue.

I mostly play on Immortal, so I usually ignore all wonders, unless playing as Babylon (because you can easily pick one up) or Brazil, because a certain one helps them and, if you beeline it, it's possible.

I mostly play on Immortal, so I usually ignore all wonders, unless playing as Babylon (because you can easily pick one up) or Brazil, because a certain one helps them and, if you beeline it, it's possible.

I assume you mean Chichen Itza? Also good for Persia.

Anyway, I generally play on King (where I get pretty much any wonder I want) or Emperor (where I also pretty much get any wonder I want after the first era or two, but only if my desires are not too greedy)

Maybe not many, but rushing for specific wonders crucial for specific game.

For example if you want to benefit from Theodora's trait on immortal/deity, stonehenge is the only possible option to get religion unless very lucky with early citystates to get faith generating pantheon suitable for starting location
If your culture generation is based on converted citizens in foreign cities, skip all and rush great mosque
If Persia, give up all for ChickenPizza,on Deity the only way is engineer rush
Petra is highly competitive, but you must get it as Morroco

And in the meantime denying some wonders from AI

One of my favorite combinations is Hanging Gardens + Petra, if you're in the desserts, that's formidable.
If you go naval, the extreme case is the upper tech branch to Great Lighthouse for +1 movement and then lower tech branch to Colossus for +1 trade route; that's a difficult combo to have but perfect if you're playing Venice.

One of my favorite combinations is Hanging Gardens + Petra, if you're in the desserts, that's formidable.
If you go naval, the extreme case is the upper tech branch to Great Lighthouse for +1 movement and then lower tech branch to Colossus for +1 trade route; that's a difficult combo to have but perfect if you're playing Venice.
The AI loves Petra and is often difficult to get.

If you are playing Venice you need Optics, not just for movement but as it generates your Merchant of Venice.

The AI loves Petra and is often difficult to get.

That's exactly right. Building Petra involves a lot of saving game :) The advantage of actually building it, however, are unparallel; you can get +10 Production and +10 Food with the right territory, an extra trade route and a free Caravan.

Top Bottom