Map creation and compatibility

Alzara

Emperor
Hey guys

Just wondering; If I make a map for 0.32d, then patch e comes out, will this map be usable with 0.32e? What conditions render a map incompatible with a new version of the game (or new patch)?

Thanks

Al

No reply... so long after? :cry:

Al

It will probably be compatible so long as it doesn't contain anything that was removed or seriously changed in the next version. (For instance, a Maceman would break a map if loaded after these unis were changed to Champions.) If so, you can edit those things out in notepad, although that could take a lot of time and might be beyond your skill. (I've never really tried, so I don't know how hard it is)

I'm not sure, but is is quite possible that the BtS 3.17 patch would make any maps from earlier versions incompatible.

It will probably be compatible so long as it doesn't contain anything that was removed or seriously changed in the next version. (For instance, a Maceman would break a map if loaded after these unis were changed to Champions.) If so, you can edit those things out in notepad, although that could take a lot of time and might be beyond your skill. (I've never really tried, so I don't know how hard it is)

I'm not sure, but is is quite possible that the BtS 3.17 patch would make any maps from earlier versions incompatible.

Ahh ty :)

Al

Well, not to usurp a thread for my own agenda or anything, but there's been a question thats been nagging at me for awhile, as it may reveal a certain degree of incompetence on my part, and this seems as good a place as any to ask. What is the best way to create a map? There dosent seem to be any external way to start the world builder, and generating a random map only to delete everything to start from scratch just seems, crude. Is there a better way?

What I am doing is starting a new game, then going to WB and loading the WB save. I think that this bypasses the start-up scripts; at least, I don't get any resources added, for instance.

As to the original topic, you are probably okay for a long time if you just have an empty map. If you add units, buildings, or promotions, it's a gamble as to whether or not you'll survive the next version without needing a careful edit.

Top Bottom