Chieftain

FracturedWorld v1.02
--------------------------

AUTHOR:
Temudjin (2010-11)​
PURPOSE:
Map-Script for Civilization 4​

Compatibility:
The map is fully compatible with: 'Fall from Heaven 2', 'Planetfall', 'Mars Now!' and their modmods. Actually it should work with just about any mod, except for 'Final Frontier' and its modmods.

Dependency:
This map needs MapScriptTools.py (included in the download) in the ...\Assets\Python directory of either Civ4, BtS or the Mod.

The Map:
FracturedWorld is a random map script.
Initially the plots are very randomly distributed.
When the eons come and go, the world slowly changes as the continents drift, break apart, new isles come to be and are driven into the continents.
You choose the number of eons to wait for the world to grow older, and the rest is left to fate. (Well not quite, as the target plot and terrain distrubution needs constant fiddling.)

Map Options:
The user has several custom options:

World Shape
Choose the wrapping of your world.
Flat
Cylinder (x-wrap)
Tube (y-wrap)
*Toroid (x,y-wrap)

Water (% of Plots)
Choose how much water (desert for 'Mars Now!') exists.
85, 80, *75, 70, 65, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 Percent

Peaks (% of Land)
Choose how many mountains exist.
3, *6, 10, 15, 20, 25 Percent

Terrain (Des,Plns,Mrsh)
Choose distribution of Desert,Plains and Marsh. Change to Desert and Plains only, if mod doesn't support marshes.
10% , 25% , 9% Wet
20% , 22% , 6% Damp
*30% , 20% , 4% Earthlike
35% , 25% , 3% Dry
40% , 30% , 2% Parched

World Age
Choose how old your world will be.
0, 3, *6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 72, 96 eons

Coastal Waters
Choose whether some parts of the coast will expand into the ocean (like Civ5).
Normal
*Expanded​

Marsian Theme
Choose whether you actually want all those deserts on Mars, or if you prefer water. ONLY with 'Mars Now!'
*Sands of Mars
Terraformed Mars

Team Start
Choose whether your team-mates start in the neighborhood, far away or somewhere random. NOT with 'Mars Now!'
*Team Neighbors
Team Separated
Randomly Placed​
Map Notes:
- This script saves the map options in the log directory in FracturedWorld.cfg'
- With time the continents tend to become rounder and bigger, while fewer islands roam the world.
- Sometimes continents do break apart, and islands arise from the waves.
- Calculating all those eons costs a lot of time. So if you want 96 eons, go and brew yourself a tea or buy a fast computer.

Changelog:
Spoiler :

1.02___29.Jul.11
- Fixed ??, MAC compatibility with key parameter in sort() method
- Fixed [Master of Mana], saving/reloading/showing game options gave errors with dummy options

1.01___15.Mar.11
- Fixed, Changing the world shape sometimes didn't work at once
- Fixed ??, MAC compatibility in CivFolders.getCivPaths() - can't test this myself
- Fixed ??, Strange Python/C++ error in OccStart - not quite sure what was wrong
- Fixed [Mars Now!], Team Start normalization
- Added, new map option for expanded coastal waters (like Civ5)
- Changed, remove 'Whale' bonus on water-poor maps
- Changed, adjusted starting plot finder for desert worlds
- Changed, stratified custom map option process
- Changed, stratified normalization process
- Changed, reorganised function call sequence within map building process
- Changed [Mars Now!], using dedicated terrain generator
- Changed [Mars Now!], 'Terraformed Mars' uses somewhat smaller maps

1.00___15.Jul.11
- Initial Release

Screen Shots:
Later - if ever - sorry!

Attachments

• FracturedWorld_100.zip
    101.9 KB · Views: 545
  • FracturedWorld_101.zip
    114.7 KB · Views: 263
  • FracturedWorld_102.zip
    117.8 KB · Views: 453
Problem in BTS 3.19 Macintosh : well generated cost but not working well, near only grass, and zero desert or tundra ice...

Lot of big islands, no continents so far...

You can see i tried, keep working !

The naming system is very nice...

I loaded with History Rewritten 0.5 a Mac Mod...

Hi again,
I tried FracturedWorld in both QC and original BtS but I never experience any EONs. I select 46 EONs and check the worldbuild at start. Then I fastforward 200 turns and check again (comparing screenshots). I can't see any changes at all. Any idea why?

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the eons all take place as part of the map generation process, before the first turn. It's not like there's any way for a map script to run during a game. You'd need a mod for that -- basically you're talking about something like global warming on steroids.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the eons all take place as part of the map generation process, before the first turn. It's not like there's any way for a map script to run during a game. You'd need a mod for that -- basically you're talking about something like global warming on steroids.

Thanks for your reply Duckstab! But if that's the case I don't understand what the EONs are good for?

@duckstab: You're correct, thanks.

@bjorne75: Basically the map changes its character with the eons and continents tend to become fewer, bigger and rounder - except sometimes they just break up. You just get a snapshot of the process.
This is really a map where you can play with options and get very different results indeed.

Spoiler :
Good Morning Temudjin,
I wished to try your Fractured World map but I always get maps with grasslands, forests, jungles and a few tundra squares. I followed the instructions you wrote in your MapScriptTools thread but obviously there is something I did wrong, judgong on the results. Would you like to help me, please?
Thanks in advance.

Never mind, clearing the customAssets folder solved my problem. I apologize :)

Good Evening,
I'm afraid I was a bit too quick in saying that I solved the problem. I am now seeing desert, tundra, ice but I never see a plain, only grassland. I generated a lot of maps with the Parched and Dry settings but I didn't get any plain hex. Is it intended?
I would appreciate any help, thank you!

It's an interesting idea but I don't think I personally care for it. It uses simulated plate tectonics, yes, but I prefer tectonic maps with fewer plates and larger continents.

Attached is a picture of a map made with this script (18 eons, as I recall).

- Sam

Attachments

• FracturedWorld.jpg
    FracturedWorld.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 645
Very good script! Included in generated map marshes and scrublands.

Two suggestions:

Even in "driest" option of this script the volume of deserts is the minimum. An option even more dry, it would be nice.

EONs is a strange term. You could substitute more concise or more scattered continents. Once in your mod less ages are more spread out, unlike ours pangea.

Top Bottom