[Map Script] PerfectWorld.py

Glad you figured it out. Is there a workaround, so that a single version will work on both Vanilla and BTS?

BTW, I'm pretty sure the start I posted above was made with the fixed code. But even if it was not, here are two more low-food starts that I've seen. These were definitely made with a working script.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on here, I would expect to see some land food resources somewhere on those screens if not near the starting loc. Actually if you could zoom out so I can see more of the resource distribution, I could get a better idea if the map is exhibiting normal behavior.

However, let me explain part of how my starting plot normalizer works. I evaluate all the likely city locations on a map and assign them to the civ that is most likely to get there first by virtue of path distance. Whoever has access to the most good land will get no 'help' in terms of starting resources. Civs that are hemmed in or on less valueable continents will get food bonuses placed nearby.

In the examples you have shown me, I am seeing alot of grassland. Grassland is very, very good land, without which, you really can't compete. Even when there's jungle on it, eventually it has the potential for hugely profitable cities. On PW, grassland is fairly rare so I'm thinking that the screenshots are looking at some of the most productive land in the world. That may explain the lack of bonus resources. However, in my playtesting with PW, I have found the most difficult games are the ones that really beef up the starting position. Try as you might to fill it with bonuses, really nothing beats a cottage on grass.

I'm getting allocation crashes when using WolfRev. I was told it was a script bug and to report here. It happens about 1 in 5 times. Always huge worlds with 14 civs, no new world, no pangea break. Any ideas?

Other then that, no complaints. One question though, is it common for every game to start in the jungle on a coast? That's what happens to me about 9/10 times.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 259
I'm getting allocation crashes when using WolfRev. I was told it was a script bug and to report here. It happens about 1 in 5 times. Always huge worlds with 14 civs, no new world, no pangea break. Any ideas?

Other then that, no complaints. One question though, is it common for every game to start in the jungle on a coast? That's what happens to me about 9/10 times.

I have never seen that error. It's possible that the mod + the script together use too much Python memory, but I have never used that mod.

As for the jungle start, I would not expect 9 out of 10 to be in the jungle unless it has been heavily modified. It should be more like 1 in 10.

There is a nice thread explaining how you can get around most MAFs here:

Working MAF fix for WinXP Pro 32bit!!

As far as I can tell, it solved the problem for a lot of people playing the latest Fall Further. It should work for any other big mod as well.

I downloaded the script and put it in the base Civ directory. Is there a mod in the vein of wolfrev (additions but, while at the same time keeping the "flavor" of BTS) that includes the map script so these errors won't occur?

I would say that if you like that mod, and the error only happens 1 in 5 times, I would just bulldoze my way through it. You only have to generate a map once per game, so once you're past that you should be ok if it's map script related.

I like the mod, I love the map script. Every single time I've rolled a map with this script, I've been floored by how awesome it is. Now I just need a game to compliment the awesome maps... and 9/10 jungles isn't going to do, lol
9/10 jungles have to be just bad luck (actually, in PW it's good luck, better than plains and desert, but that's beside the point) Starting points are chosen in random order, and they can't all be in the jungle. Usually there's like one or two players per map who start in jungle, but certainly most of them start in the temperate zones. Try turning cheats on and press ctrl-z to reveal the map. If everyone is starting in the jungle then something is not right.

Using PerfectWorld with FFH, got a Python Exception:

File "PerfectWorld" line 3639 in addLakes
File "PerfectWorld" line 3528 in expandLake

IndexError: list index out of range.

cephalo, what are the sizes of the maps generated with the script? (And if you know, how do they compare with some of the standard scripts.) They seem quite large to me (been playing with mostly standard sized maps).

cephalo, what are the sizes of the maps generated with the script? (And if you know, how do they compare with some of the standard scripts.) They seem quite large to me (been playing with mostly standard sized maps).

I think they are the size of the terra maps that came with the original game. I wanted them pretty large because this map has alot of ocean and harsh terrain, so I felt that this civs needed a little more room to develop.

However, hopefully next week I will be finished with PerfectWorld 2.0 in which everything under the hood will be different and probably a whole new host of issues will crop up as well. :lol: Over all though there will be alot of big improvements.

I'm going to try to fix that one bug you found, but I need to find someone who knows how to detect versions from the map script. I bet Sto knows, I'll ask him.

However, hopefully next week I will be finished with PerfectWorld 2.0 in which everything under the hood will be different and probably a whole new host of issues will crop up as well. :lol: Over all though there will be alot of big improvements.

Ooooh! I'm sorry, but after becoming such a big fan of your map script, I just have to ask, Whats going to be new in version 2? :)lol: it rhymes)

Ooooh! I'm sorry, but after becoming such a big fan of your map script, I just have to ask, Whats going to be new in version 2? :)lol: it rhymes)

I'm still doing some experimentation as to what will go in there, but so far the map script will be much faster, more customizable, much better looking rivers and lakes, and a much better way to generate the smaller map sizes.

It's based on my FaireWeather mapscript for Colonization with some minor improvements on that.

I'm still doing some experimentation as to what will go in there, but so far the map script will be much faster, more customizable, much better looking rivers and lakes, and a much better way to generate the smaller map sizes.

It's based on my FaireWeather mapscript for Colonization with some minor improvements on that.

Well I'm not that familiar with Colonization since I don't own it, but other than that it sounds great (especially the ability for more customization, that's the only thing I thought it needed), keep up the good work cephalo! :goodjob:

cephalo, your script is the best I've tried, it gives the most lifelike and interesting maps. Only drawback is the lack of customizability, which I read you are already working on. It would be great to have maps bigger than huge! Thanks again for your contribution.

Wow, I definitely can't wait for the new version. Any chance you can add an option to disable land contact with the poles (maybe by lowering the elevation on all tiles ~ 5 spaces or so away from the icecaps)?

Hope you'll remember this feature request, too, in v.2.

The land masses are still very hard to control, but they are also very different from the kindof stringy continents you sometimes see in PW1.

Minor bug I encountered when I was using PerfectWorld 1.13 with Fall Further:
Code:
            if [COLOR="Red"]gc.getTechInfo(buildInfo.getTechPrereq())[/COLOR].getEra() > game.getStartEra():
                if debugOut: print "Tech era not high enough for %(s)s" % {"s":impInfo.getType()}
                continue

Some BuildInfos don't have a tech prerequisite in Fall Further and make PerfectWorld's getPlotPotentialValue function crash at line 2773. I think, you should add a check for "-1" in case you are going to reuse this function in PerfectWorld 2.

Top Bottom