Map Size

Rynian

Chieftain
I am new to the mod, and I like it a bit so far, I LOVE the variety of civs and reworked religion, but I have come across something odd. Whenever I try to start a new game, all the civs are placed SUPER far apart, and it doesn't even feel like we will meet until maybe the medieval era, classic if we are lucky. Is this intentional? How are our gameplay strategies intended to compensate? It seems like it rewards turtling at first glance and would lead to a boring experience.

I could also see fighting a bunch of barbarians and growing your empire be more realistic, though the scale is so different from vanilla Im not sure if this is just a bug or Im setting the game up wrong

(Large pangea or inland sea, normal speed, prince, rest is default... culturally linked)

EDIT: Also FAQ says real earth should be missing, but i have it in my game as an option.

Am on Mac

Last edited:
Whenever I try to start a new game, all the civs are placed SUPER far apart, and it doesn't even feel like we will meet until maybe the medieval era, classic if we are lucky. Is this intentional? How are our gameplay strategies intended to compensate? It seems like it rewards turtling at first glance and would lead to a boring experience.

It's a side effect of the adjustments I've made to map sizes. The default number of civs at each size is tuned primarily for mapscripts that have the regular amount of ocean. In land-heavy maps like Inland Sea, civs will be placed far apart because there are so many decent starting locations available. It's probably best to increase the number of starting civs on such maps via the custom game options.

Also FAQ says real earth should be missing, but i have it in my game as an option.

It says "All but the Earth map were removed in 1.24". All the maps of particular regions were removed (until I can get them updated), but the Earth map itself was updated and retained.

I appreciate your response.

I will either try a continent or just increase the civ number.

It's a side effect of the adjustments I've made to map sizes. The default number of civs at each size is tuned primarily for mapscripts that have the regular amount of ocean. In land-heavy maps like Inland Sea, civs will be placed far apart because there are so many decent starting locations available. It's probably best to increase the number of starting civs on such maps via the custom game options.

It says "All but the Earth map were removed in 1.24". All the maps of particular regions were removed (until I can get them updated), but the Earth map itself was updated and retained.

about 2 hours into my game, I realized that catapults no longer bombard at all, and had to quit because I could no longer be competative with my current strategy.

Any other large changes like this to be aware of?

EDIT: Fantastic mod, it is difficult as balls though. Not sure why my cities are even sick.

Last edited:
about 2 hours into my game, I realized that catapults no longer bombard at all, and had to quit because I could no longer be competative with my current strategy.

Any other large changes like this to be aware of?

There are several. I suggest taking the time to peruse the Pedia and see what's different. The most important ones to know about are the changes to tile improvements. Many no longer require a resource to be built, and choosing the right improvements to suit a city's terrain is vital to growing your economy.

Religion and Great People mechanics are quite different, be sure to read up on those in the Concepts section of the pedia. Dissent is a significant new mechanic you'll need to understand as well.

Not sure why my cities are even sick.

Several improvements (Mines. Workshops, Towns, etc) cause unhealthiness in HR. This is the most likely reason for your cities' unhealthiness, especially if you're used to Cottage spam as an economic strategy.

Fantastic mod, it is difficult as balls though.

I highly recommend playing on a lower difficulty level than you're used to in BTS until you get used to all the changes.

There are several. I suggest taking the time to peruse the Pedia and see what's different. The most important ones to know about are the changes to tile improvements. Many no longer require a resource to be built, and choosing the right improvements to suit a city's terrain is vital to growing your economy.

Religion and Great People mechanics are quite different, be sure to read up on those in the Concepts section of the pedia. Dissent is a significant new mechanic you'll need to understand as well.

Several improvements (Mines. Workshops, Towns, etc) cause unhealthiness in HR. This is the most likely reason for your cities' unhealthiness, especially if you're used to Cottage spam as an economic strategy.

I highly recommend playing on a lower difficulty level than you're used to in BTS until you get used to all the changes.

Ty. I am trying on warlord now. I am doing much better, though its still a bit tough.

I got to a good spot, but my game keeps crashing at a certain point :/ Im not sure what causes it. R I P

Ty. I am trying on warlord now. I am doing much better, though its still a bit tough.

I got to a good spot, but my game keeps crashing at a certain point :/ Im not sure what causes it. R I P

Post the crash report and I'll see if I can work out what's causing it.

I got it to work. I just made a save right before the crash and just tried a few times. Not sure why it happened.

WHOA Jk it just happened again after quelling a rebellion :c

How do you get a crash report?

EDIT: Yeah after about 5 attempts this one seems permanent

Last edited:
WHOA Jk it just happened again after quelling a rebellion :c

How do you get a crash report?

EDIT: Yeah after about 5 attempts this one seems permanent
Have never done a crash report myself, but I think the first page of the Troubleshooting and F.A.Q. thread has stuff on how to log crashes

On Mac, if an option to view the report isn't available in the crash notification, you can always find the crash report in the Console app (found in the Utilities folder).

Top Bottom