Resource icon

Maps Plus v1.0 - No Ice Locking Etc Version 2.1

fimbul

Chieftain
fimbul submitted a new resource:

Maps Plus v1.0 - No Ice Locking Etc - Enhances Vanilla Map Scripts for more enjoyment

Enhances the vanilla map script to create maps primarily to increase fun

For now V1 it is just Pangaea
- no polar seas (ie circumnavigate possible)
- no "shifting" of Pangaea to prevent excessive snow/tundra formation
- civ 5 import- relaxing of tundra and snow rivers to permit a more hospitable environment

Read more about this resource...

Pangaea is also my favourite map type, as it usually offers more directions and places where to settle right from start, a better civilization spread, and obviously more to discover.

What I've noticed with your map generation, that you often start the map with some random tiles revealed all around the map. I’ve disabled all my other mods to make sure nothing interferes there but it still happens.
Otherwise, it looks quite good so far with the ice-breaking paths along the polar caps. It still happened sometimes that tundra and snow tiles touch and block the top and bottom though.

The climate zones still leave much to desire like in the original map generation. I’m still looking for Earth-like climate-zone transitions, like ice-snow-tundra-grass-plains-desert-plains-grass-tundra-snow-ice, with some intertwining. It always looks silly to see plains with ivory close to tundra and snow tiles near the top and bottom of the map. It’s still a random mess without sense of plausibility.
What also often happens with Pangaea map creation, that there is too much ocean on the left and right. More landmass, that isn't only a big massive chunk, can’t hurt there.

Hi Mentos - thanks for the feedback.

1. Tundra/Snow still touching the top/bottom: i found the cases which were slipping through and have written new code to handle it. Im testing it to see if works well and will upload once it does.

2. Random Tiles being revealed: This is a problem with V1 where i forgot to turn off my super warrior debugger. v1.1 has it fixed.

3. Too much Ocean: this is a limitation of the fractal generator. Im trying to import mutli-layer fractal (used in some civ 5 scripts) which will allow for better map generation. In the meantime i can only suggest using low sea levels, it will raise the probability of more land.

Curious, will this work with Yet (not) Another Maps Pack? I don't use the Earth maps, but like the different size options, but can not stand having my map locked because of ice formations at the poles.

fimbul updated Maps Plus v1.0 - No Ice Locking Etc with a new update entry:
Good job getting the terra maps to work! And I have some answers for your code comments that I'll hide in a spoiler so as not to derail your thread too much :)
Spoiler :

Code:
-- FIMBUL we customise this for major starts
-- i cant seem to get the thing to work in start plots.

-- FIMBUL we will bruteforce check that the landmass ID is biggest
--[[
    local biggest_area = Areas.FindBiggestArea(False);
    local iAreaID = biggest_area:GetID();
    print("FIMBUL biggest landmass is ", iAreaID);
]]--
-- END FIMBUL EDIT
--[[
-- FIMBUL we will bruteforce check that the landmass ID is biggest
-- we failed here. why?
        local x_fimbul = pTempPlot:GetX()
        local y_fimbul = pTempPlot:GetY()
        local plot_fimbul = Map.GetPlot(x_fimbul, y_fimbul);
            print("-FIMBUL PLOT IS-", x_fimbul, y_fimbul);
        if (plot_fimbul:GetArea() == iAreaID) then
-- plot is valid, do nothing
            print("-FIMBUL PLOT ACCEPT LANDMASS-");
        else
            bValid = false;
            print("-FIMBUL PLOT REJECT LANDMASS-",plot_fimbul:GetArea());
        end
--End FIMBUL EDIT
This doesn't work because the code is expecting a pointer to the plot. Shift your code down below this part:
Code:
    -- Calculate the fertility of the starting plot
    local iRange = 3;
    local pPlot = Map.GetPlotByIndex(plot);
    local plotX = pPlot:GetX();
    local plotY = pPlot:GetY();
And use pPlot:GetArea() and it'll work fine. It took me a while to sort this out myself since they have the incorrect use of several area related functions scattered around in section of code that is commented out. If you also want to evaluate the size of the current area this is what I use and it works perfectly:
Code:
function AssignStartingPlots:__WeightedFertility(plot)
    -- Calculate the fertility of the starting plot
    local iRange = 3;
    local pPlot = Map.GetPlotByIndex(plot);
    local plotX = pPlot:GetX();
    local plotY = pPlot:GetY();

-- 705: Lets see if this works...
    local pArea = pPlot:GetArea();
    local size = pArea:GetPlotCount();
    local biggest_area = Areas.FindBiggestArea(false);
    local iNumBiggestAreaTiles = biggest_area:GetPlotCount();

Hope that helps.

If you want to collaborate and work on one mod together shoot me a PM, we're trying to accomplish a lot of the same things so we touch a lot of the same files which makes our mods incompatible with each other and I think most players would appreciate just having more map types to play around with without having to worry about mod conflicts. At least I know I would like that, more maps is always good! :) It's going to be tougher with Civ 6 since we can't just wrap up everything we need within the actual map script like we could in Civ 4 and 5.

Why do you start with Pangea and not Continents that is a more popular map?

woah lots of replies for this place of the forum

@Tilarium - i dont know if this is compactible with Yet Not Another Map Packs. I replace a few LUA files so if the other mod replaces the same files, im not exactly sure what will happen. If he doesnt change Terrain Gen or Feature Gen maybe there is a chance the ice blocking wont show up.

@Seven05 - does that code work? biggest_area:GetID(); was returning an integer value while plot:GetArea(); was returning a table value. Thanks for your offer, ill think about it but integration would be tricky- im missing civ 5 map script single file system as well.

@DeepSoul - started with Pangaea because it was the easiest to alter. Also continents required me to import multi-layer fractal before i could achieve more consistent results.

Yes the third code in the spoiler works flawlessly. I use it to enforce a minimum landmass size and limit city states on the largest landmass.

Hey !

First of all, thanks for dealing with map generation. I wasn't satisfied by the generated maps so working on this is welcome.

I tried a few (4-5 early games with a bit of scouting) of starts with Spain in a large Terra setting.

I don't know if spain is biaised towards settling near desert but I started on desert about 60-70% of the time.
Deserts are huge. Maybe a bit too much. When you have nothing else available and you gotta deal with it, you know you're kinda screwed. You can only build one Petra city but you got room for 3 cities (with about 20-25 un-overlapping tiles). It's kind of a huge waste of room in my opinion. Plus the deserts don't count many rivers, mostly oasis here and there (enough to settle all accross the desert, but without rivers, you just can't do anything) and very few hills... Not much to do there...

I need more testing here but I had to settle a couple of cities to get the very early eurekas (quarries, resource mining, horses, rice/wheat ...). There are a lot less luxury resources throughout the world, or at least around my landing, and it is even more true in the desert that is totally empty resource-wise. So when I started in the desert, I just couldn't get any resources linked eurekas.

About rivers : they seem shorter. I need more testing againt, but the fact they are smaller makes less fresh tile settling oppoertunities... Tundra rivers had many adjacent grassland tiles. So there was an average tundra zone (small than without the mod, which is very nice) and where the river was the (most ?! need to check) adjacent tiles were grassland. I don't know if it is intended but I liked that. It makes settling in tundra considerable.

About mountain : they either show up in little groups (2-3 tiles top every now and then) or in big chains with interesting district spots.

Hope that helps. I'll try to find the savage continent and give more fedback after more testing.

Quick question, is this mod affected in any way by, or incompatible with the Civ 6 Map Utility project/mod? I hope not as until the release of the proper mod tools/SDK and subsequent development of a Civ VI version of In Game Editor these 2 utilities/mods seem like the best solution to a number of frustrations I am having with the current advanced options/spawned maps that I am testing/playing.

So having played with your Terra script several times, I have some comments. I'm glad you're working on this map type, so please don't get me wrong.

* I'm getting the consistent impression that there are fewer strategic resources - Iron seems almost as rare as Oil - and they are much more clumped - Coal and Aluminum seem to show up in only two places each on a "Normal" size map, though each place has 3-4 hexes of the resource within 2 or 3 tiles.

* The original Terra map is much wider than it is high, and in fact the generated maps were larger than the same "size" maps from other scripts. Putting the old and new worlds on a square-ish map makes them so close together that "finding the new world" is usually trivial, and at least once the two have collided into a jagged Pangea.

Love this map script. Fresh set of luxury resources in the americas is really great. Is there anyway to add the city state placement of the civV Pangea plus map where the city states were mostly on islands just off the mainland coast?

fimbul updated Maps Plus v1.0 - No Ice Locking Etc with a new update entry:

Minor Update V2.1

Minor Update:
- Included a new trial map script of Big & Small (originally in BTS). i picked civ 4 up a couple of weeks ago on a sale and found the script quite refreshing to play. Essentially everyone starts on 1/2 Big continents, and there are several smaller continents & islands floating in the ocean. in civ 6 terms, think of a Pangaea style map with Island plates floating off the coast. Perfect map for Vicky ( i founded 30~ cities in my playthrough)

- A bit disappointed at the patch &...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Salmuth - deserts are always tricky to get correct. Too may rivers and deserts become floodplain heaven, too few and you get barren wasteland. Resource wise - I rebalanced the luxuries counter so you should see more lux variety in your continent.

@jakob51 - sorry what is this civ 6 map utility project? i havent been paying too much attention so i cant advise if it compactible or not

@weregamer - strategic resource placement is the unfortunate consequence of how the game works. Its not something which is solved solely on the map generation side. First the resource files prohibit iron from spawning on rivers, and oil must spawn only in tundra/desert/snow/sea, etc etc Second the resource spawn locations are assigned per continent - and continents are "stamped" in the dll as far as i can tell. Based on these two factors, the strat resource placement always looks clumped (esp for AL...). Maybe I will re-write the placement with the "impact & ripples" system from civ 5, and the clustering system from civ 4. Regarding the terra map size - yes it is massively smaller compared to Civ 5. I tried one round to increase the size, but got lost in a huge array of errors. Maybe ill give it another try.

@PYITE - glad you like it. This version should have a better lux variety spread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom