[MapScript] ScenarioMap

Same with me, I also want to disable the terrain morphing whenever a civ is nearby. Whenever the Incas show up in game, the Peruvian Andes disappear, or the Appalachians when playing as America. It's frustrating. :crazyeye:

Hi EMT

well yes, I mentioned this behaviour before. Civ is performing this terrain changes somewhere in the C part of code. And because my mapscript should work with any plain version of civ, I can not touch the c code.

@Fullerene: nice work ! :)

This is pretty sweet. I have a few questions though...

I would like this to work with my mod, I have added a few civs to this mod and would like to know how easy it is to modify to accomodate the new civs.

One of these civs is Polynesia, is there a way I can alter this map a little to make Hawaii bigger and maybe give them some coast tiles so they can get to other islands early in the game?

That's pretty much it, awesome work, I've been waiting for something like this for a while now and had no idea it was right here! :goodjob:

I agree Capo, it's a cool feature, but what will you do when there are both Aztecs and Mayas, Babylon and Sumeria in the game (just to stick with vanilla civs). They start too close to each other...
And just to mention some of the bigger problems with the new civs, what about both Italy and Rome, or Aztecs/Mayas and Mexico?
My point is you will have way too many civs for a script like this...

I agree Capo, it's a cool feature, but what will you do when there are both Aztecs and Mayas, Babylon and Sumeria in the game (just to stick with vanilla civs). They start too close to each other...
And just to mention some of the bigger problems with the new civs, what about both Italy and Rome, or Aztecs/Mayas and Mexico?
My point is you will have way too many civs for a script like this...

Well this won't work with modular civs anyway because, from what I can tell, the civ starting locations are in the code, so I'd have to add code for every modular civ I made and I am not going to do that. Obviously there will be conflicts though with starting locations:
  • France, England, Netherlands, Germany would be very cramped.
  • Greece, Byzantium, Turks would be very cramped
  • Israel, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon, Persia, Arabia
  • Etc.

I mean, that is just something that is bound to happen, you play on an Earth map you know there will be real starting locations and that has two issues with it (1) bad starting spots and (2) possibility to be cramped. So in my mind, if you're going to play on a world map, and then say "well this sucks, I'm Carthage and have Egypt and Mali to contend with, I don't have any good land to expand to" then you're playing an Earth map for the wrong reasons and should probably play another map.

So I guess to put it in a nutshell: I don't care, buyer beware.

This is pretty sweet. I have a few questions though...

I would like this to work with my mod, I have added a few civs to this mod and would like to know how easy it is to modify to accomodate the new civs.

One of these civs is Polynesia, is there a way I can alter this map a little to make Hawaii bigger and maybe give them some coast tiles so they can get to other islands early in the game?

That's pretty much it, awesome work, I've been waiting for something like this for a while now and had no idea it was right here! :goodjob:

Hi Capo,

yes, this is right, what you've mentioned. So AbsintheRed, when you are playing the small world map (vadus_world.wbs) with 18 civs (by selecting a huge world size at start) you have to expect, that there might the another settler unit right next to your starting spot. You might have been lucky and be the first one, who settles in the first turn :)

About adapting this script to a mod with different civs: no problem with that ! You just have to change the scenarioworld.properties file. There enter the map-file, you want to play on and set the correct starting positions for your new civs. Thats all. The properties file binds the map and starting positions to the map script.

Hi Vadus !

I've tried your map script, but I can't find the ScenarioWorld MapScript at the beginning.
I think it is because there is no ScenarioWorld.py in your archive.

Okay, I've got a major problem.

I'm trying to adapt this map for the version of Rhye's Earth Map that I converted to Orbis. However, it seems that it's almost completely impossible for me to get this to work. This map will ONLY read from the PublicMaps from the root file, and doesn't read the SCNWRLD file in the Mod's PrivateMaps folder, even when I try and alter the path so it forces it to read the properties file in Orbis! How to I solve this?

You need to use following path "Mods\\MyMod\\PrivateMaps\\", where 'MyMod' is name of your mod.
NOTE that the properties file has also a path you need to edit. I tested and it worked, at least for me.

If you want to have preset (non random) resources you can check what I once did for this map:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=236248&d=1259951633. I suggest you open this file with Notepad++ as it's too big for Python IDLE to hande sometimes.
@Vaduz and others who might work with this script
In case you didn't know, it's possible to disable the functions that alter terrain and bonuses for starting locations via python.These functions are called 'normalise' functions, you can see them in file I linked.

Hey Fullerene, is there any place to download customearth2? Civearth seems to be gone.

This is truly impressive, I've been recommending it to Realism Invictus players interested in a RL world game experience without long load times that come with 30+ civs.

Um, just reading through all of this, and I'm trying to get customearth2, and the only link for it was posted in the previous page by Fullerene. It leads me to a purchase site for the CivEarth domain, and no file available. Does anyone have the actual file for customearth2 which they can post here? That would be greatly appreciated :c5happy:

Not sure about the customearth2 script as I dont recall seeing it,
But the most common earth map played is earth evolution.

You can find all versions here :

Hi, I have already adapted this great script to work with different maps with no random resources etc.

check out:http://www.civearth.com/components/...s/custom-402d2a6a6420e3b2a8f4fd4cea7a9677.zip
Thanks, but I already have Earth Evolution - this is what Fullerene linked, the file for customearth2, which allows you to decide map size and number of civs on top of the features of Earth Evolution, as well as including American civs like the aztecs, mayans and incans. It seems that the domain, CivEarth, no longer exists, and so the file is 'lost' at least for me. If you check out EMT's LSOE series here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lsoe-thread-suggest-the-next-leader.353487/, you can see that he is using customearth2.

Not sure about the customearth2 script as I dont recall seeing it,
But the most common earth map played is earth evolution.

You can find all versions here :

Thanks, but I already have Earth Evolution - this is what Fullerene linked, the file for customearth2, which allows you to decide map size and number of civs on top of the features of Earth Evolution, as well as including American civs like the aztecs, mayans and incans. It seems that the domain, CivEarth, no longer exists, and so the file is 'lost' at least for me. If you check out EMT's LSOE series here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lsoe-thread-suggest-the-next-leader.353487/, you can see that he is using customearth2.
Hi,
I see indeed, sadly I can't provided as is, maybe I can help though as I'd be interested too.
Of course the easiest would be to e-mail the (3 ?) individuals that have clearly played with it.

Presuming you've done / doing that first, we can maybe re-create ?
What interest you is to have the possibility to change size ? Was that ANY size or select from a few preset values ?
I expect the second : it's just a matter of editing
EarthEvolution map and setting new values then.
I can easily do options and logic for you to have the Civs you want (it's already done in earthEvolution4 the I published), remove/force randomization or resource (or not) and cycle through the sizes, but I would need (you) to have list of values for tiles ready.
(Basically we need 'smallearth' map, 'mediumearth' map etc. And then i merge the code)

I have messaged some of the people who have used it, and I'm hopeful that at least one of them will respond, because they replied to my posts here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/fml-4-shaka.356032/page-6. If he does send it to me, then I'll put it up here.

However, if that doesn't work, I would be interested in re-creating it, however I know almost nothing of python, and I can't code to save my own life. I would like to select from a few preset values, for example the normal map types - standard, large, small, tiny, huge, etc. What was interesting when I tried to play the scenarios were I got two choices - Vadus_World and EarthEvolution. I tried Earth Evolution, and it gives me a huge map size, but from the options to select civilisations, all the American ones aren't there, like the Incans, Mayans, Americans, etc. Vadus_World gives me those American civilisations as options to play, but the world is now set as standard size, and on both of those maps, I can't change the number civilisations in the game, it is always set with all of them. I would like to play with a huge map size AND the American civilisations, as well as being able to toggle the number of civs in the game. Basically, that is what customearth2 does.

Hi, sorry for delay, am now back from holidays, so can look a bit more.

So let's take it step by step, because I think a lot of what you want exist already :

In Custom Games (as opposed to Play now / Play scenario), You can choose the amount of total players in a game anyway, regardless of the size of the map. This can be up to 18 players (you can code more in C++). So you can have 2 players on a huge map, or 18 players on a duel map. No restriction.
The actual size of the map might not depend on what you choose on "size" in the Settings of the game. Maps like Inland Size change size with this option. Earth Evolution (and presumably Vadus_World) have a fix amount of tiles in all cases.

You CAN play with american Civs on EarthEvolution, there are starting locations for those (and I've added more on EarthEvolution4 for new Civs in case, feel free to donwload in what I linked to you above).

So if you expand the amount of Played Civilization to 18, and you select them to be American Civs (amongst others), I think almost all your request are answered ?
Also, in EE4, I've added a few different combination of 18 startings spots. So you can shuffle through different preselected list (and I can do a new version with more specific combinations if you wish).

Try all this and let me know if it suits ? If all this works, you can just use the 2 mapscripts (EE4 + Vadus_World) ? I could code a map that let you select between the 2 logic/scripts, but I think much easier and cleaner to just have 2 scripts?

Top Bottom