MapView 2.0 - Civilization 4 Editor

I'd suggest to get a *.wbs (or whatever it's called for your extension) that works well and manually replace all the map data from the file created by mapview and leave all other elements unchanged (just apply the changes manually that you know are save to change).

Not sure what do you mean by wbs extension as I've never seen a single file saved with that extension when playing civilization.
I have all of my maps saved same way - *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave extension. It's just those maps I copied and pasted into new files using MapView, are working differently (starting in 4000 BC, instead of 6000 BC).

I tell you what - there are some good examples of that you can download from here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17662
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17664
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17665
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17666
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17667

If you could check one of them and tell what's possible to fix it I'd be delighted.

Not sure what do you mean by wbs extension as I've never seen a single file saved with that extension when playing civilization.
I have all of my maps saved same way - *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave extension. It's just those maps I copied and pasted into new files using MapView, are working differently (starting in 4000 BC, instead of 6000 BC).

I tell you what - there are some good examples of that you can download from here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17662
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17664
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17665
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17666
forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17667

If you could check one of them and tell what's possible to fix it I'd be delighted.

Sorry i don't have the time atm to do any of that.

The suggestion i made was like that:
When you open a *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave (*.WorldBuilderSave for Vanilla, that's why i said *.wbs) you can easily tell the actual map design apart from other things like player setup, map conditions and whatnot. The actual map are the thousands of lines that contain all that begintile and endtile things.

When you just copy and replace that part into a working map, you can be pretty sure it will work. (I hope). But you need to adjust some things, like the mapsize in the part you took over from an existing map.

But take care, player starting positions, signs etc.

The suggestion i made was like that:
When you open a *.CivBeyondSwordWBSave (*.WorldBuilderSave for Vanilla, that's why i said *.wbs) you can easily tell the actual map design apart from other things like player setup, map conditions and whatnot. The actual map are the thousands of lines that contain all that begintile and endtile things.

When you just copy and replace that part into a working map, you can be pretty sure it will work. (I hope). But you need to adjust some things, like the mapsize in the part you took over from an existing map.

But take care, player starting positions, signs etc.

Hmmm...
Maybe I have a wrong version of MapView.
The problem is that it doesn't matter (I think so) what sort of map one opens in MapView - if it is for Vanilla, Beyond the Sword or any mod (such as AND). It only matters if one changes the plugins to display map correctly in MapView.

Following that, I thought that if I create a completely new map in MapView, using A New Dawn mod plugin loaded in before creating a new map, that it would work this time, and that I would have a map starting in 6000BC. But it doesn't create maps in 6000 BC at all.
It only preserves maps' starting date if you create a map first in Civilization (Beyond the Sword) first and then you modify it, except for enlarging maps - as the only way for doing so is copy a smaller map into a larger empty map and then merge it (I suppose it was you explaining it somewhere how to do it). But again, a new, empty, map, was created in MapView, therefore it starts in 4000 BC, and whatever one pastes in it, no matter what would be changed (like world size, climate and sealevel), it will be starting in 4000 BC.

Is there any way to fix it?
I know I can make a map in Beyond the Sword and then modify it completely in MapView, but it doesn't satisfy me for I'd like to have a larger map than the largest possible created by the game itself.

Hey I love the program! Quick question(s) on the pic2map converter.

(Some/all of this may already be in the threat somewhere but as of right now I didn't have the time to read through the whole thing.)

Pic2Map works really well, but I was wondering if there's a way that I can skew the size of my converted pic? I'm trying to get a very, very large map of North America. It comes out nice, but I want it bigger. It currently sits at 127*79 (seems to be the default import for most large pics) and I was really hoping to get it a lot bigger than that, but can't find a way to enlarge it.

I'm not sure how or if I even can have it skewed. One idea I've thought of was to cut up the pic, make about 4 maps from it and try to put them all together but I don't know if that will work either (will it?) and was kinda hoping there'd be a quicker way around it.

In my ideal world I would like the pic to be converted on a tile-per-pixel basis. The image I'm using is 283*178 and it would be awesome if it would convert to that size.

Any help/advise or links to help/advise would be appreciated.

Hey I love the program! Quick question(s) on the pic2map converter.

(Some/all of this may already be in the threat somewhere but as of right now I didn't have the time to read through the whole thing.)

Pic2Map works really well, but I was wondering if there's a way that I can skew the size of my converted pic? I'm trying to get a very, very large map of North America. It comes out nice, but I want it bigger. It currently sits at 127*79 (seems to be the default import for most large pics) and I was really hoping to get it a lot bigger than that, but can't find a way to enlarge it.

I'm not sure how or if I even can have it skewed. One idea I've thought of was to cut up the pic, make about 4 maps from it and try to put them all together but I don't know if that will work either (will it?) and was kinda hoping there'd be a quicker way around it.

In my ideal world I would like the pic to be converted on a tile-per-pixel basis. The image I'm using is 283*178 and it would be awesome if it would convert to that size.

Any help/advise or links to help/advise would be appreciated.

That is actually pretty close to the only possible solution right now.
You indeed have to adjust your source image, cut it in pieces, feed mapview with those parts individually and then copy and paste them together again.

Mayb my elaboration on the wiki article helps:
http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php/MapView#Map_Size

I'm sorry there's no easier way.

Great program!!!

... if only I knew how to use it better lol

I'm trying to make a small world map for C2C, got the land like I want it for now, but I can't seem to find a way to add players/teams. When I click on 'add team' nothing happens.

How do i delete roads ?

FAQ says click on eraser and click on road, but nothing happens :(

what does white flag mean? it says in player options if it is playable, Minor, and white flag???

Ok, I'm very new to actually doing anything other than playing with other people's creations, and have only blundered my way through installing even basic mods. I'm trying to edit a scenario with A New Dawn mod, but it doesn't show up on the list of avaliable Mods in the in program Plugins> Editor 1.3.4> Mods list. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be automatically there, or if i'm supposed to manually add it in (and how I would go about do that). I would greatly appreciate some help in this regard.

It should be there automatically. I forgot almost everything but if it's a vanilla, bts, warlords submod and the actul civ4 version is detected the mods should also be included there. If there's 2 possible locations for the mod (like in user documents or the game folder) you'll need that to be in ur game folders mod directory.

Ok, after some grief mucking about with windows 7, I got it to work. Just had to find where the .exe was being hidden (why it couldn't be with the rest of the game I'll never know). Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Sorry for the late response,
have you tried to define your civilization directory using the "File" Menu where you can set the Civ directory by yourself?
How do I know where to find it? I'm in Win 7 64 bit.

Edit: I found it, but i got this:

22:58:55: Error: Can't read value of 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\INSTALLDIR' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)

But the rest seemed okay.

22:58:55: Civilization 4 detected...
22:58:55: Overruling the registry, using: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete
22:58:55: Guessing Warlords: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Warlords
22:58:55: Warlords ... Ok
22:58:55: Guessing Beyond the Sword: C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword
22:58:55: Beyond the Sword ... Ok
22:58:57: CreateCoast 1.0
22:58:57: Editor 1.3
22:58:57: LandscapePlacer 1.2
22:58:57: Pic2Map 1.0
22:58:57: Remover 1.0
22:58:57: RiverPlace 1.0
22:58:57: TeamReveal 1.0
22:58:57: TileToText 1.0
22:58:57: Font loaded:./arial.ttf
22:58:58: MapView 2.0.9 is up to date!
22:58:58: CreateCoast 1.0.0 is up to date!
22:58:59: Editor 1.3.4 is up to date!
22:58:59: LandscapePlacer 1.2.0 is up to date!
22:59:00: Pic2Map 1.0.0 is up to date!
22:59:01: Remover 1.0.0 is up to date!
22:59:01: RiverPlace 1.0.0 is up to date!
22:59:02: TeamReveal 1.0.0 is up to date!
22:59:02: TileToText 1.0.0 is up to date!

Also, the dropdown boxes don't work, and I can't erase certain items. :undecide:

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but I can't get the pic2map to work. It generates the file and I can load it in MapView, but when I try to run it in game I always get a CTD. I have tried editing in WBS and making sure the team/player/etc parts are correct, but even after modding those I still get a CTD. It's too bad; I would love to use this feature.

Also I have a problem navigating. I tried holding down space but that doesn't seem to help. But I am running it on Parallels on a Mac, so I realize that could be the problem right there! :D

Hmm, about the pic2map issue. Try doing it vice versa then. Try copy the plot part and replace the counterpart in a working wbs. You probably need to adjust width and hight and startingpositions accordingly. Mayb there's also some important line missing in the plots? Dunno, it's so long ago, forgot many details.

About the space part, uh. Mayb it's really that space thing. ;(

I figured it out! The problem seems to be that the pic2map was not generating any world size, climate, or sea level information. So I added:

world size=WORLDSIZE_HUGE
climate=CLIMATE_TEMPERATE
sealevel=SEALEVEL_MEDIUM

in the map section and it worked! It will require a lot of massaging to get the terrain details right (the map was Saudi Arabia and Iran and the Caucasus and it generated a lot of grassland but no mountains), but still, this is a very cool tool. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it began when I changed by accidend just after first run default civ path in file menu to wrong directory and exe. Since then I cannot even init mapview app to change path back. Maybe there is some config file or registry value to manually change that. While I use alternate plugineditor it starts but then there is no option to change path and mod tree isn't showing (and no buttons at all to alter maps and no editor plugin in bar). Win 7/64
Thanks.

---- solved after deleting created tga files and some toying wit dll

*** Now ui works fine but the opengl window runs like a dying tuurtle. hopeless. and my card is heating like crazy (hd 5770 8gb ram amd4x, up to date soft),

also, when choosing rife mod mapview hangs indefinietly..

I'm pretty sure it began when I changed by accidend just after first run default civ path in file menu to wrong directory and exe. Since then I cannot even init mapview app to change path back. Maybe there is some config file or registry value to manually change that. While I use alternate plugineditor it starts but then there is no option to change path and mod tree isn't showing (and no buttons at all to alter maps and no editor plugin in bar). Win 7/64
Thanks.

---- solved after deleting created tga files and some toying wit dll

*** Now ui works fine but the opengl window runs like a dying tuurtle. hopeless. and my card is heating like crazy (hd 5770 8gb ram amd4x, up to date soft),

Sorry to hear that. I'm not working on MapView atm (or ever?) so there's nothing much i can do.

Yeah, there is a registry key you can change, but it does not look like it was the problem.

Mayb zooming in more and/or minimizing the MapView window might help.
Even if MapView looks pretty simple, with 100x100 or so different tiles with different texture combinations (like 8 layers of combinations, routes, ressources etc.) there is a huge amount of geometry and textures beeing rendered when zoomed out.

No idea about that rifle mod. MapView probably does not understand the xml format.
If you want it really bad you could make a pseudo installation of civ that basicly just contains the xml files or copy any working mod, take a working mod and replace the ressources from a copy of the working mod with the ressources and such from the not working mod. Basicly just what i did in the video where i explain how to create custom images for your custom ressources. It was just a phantasy mod. (i think i just copied the vanilla files and edit it). What MapView does is just browsing those xml files and learning from it, so there is a trick to solve that problem, but i guess its too mch effort for you.

thanks for quick reply.
For the RiFe mod (modmod based on ffh2) I'll try something in second step. For now I've big problem with mapview opengl renderer because it doesn't allow me to work with main map window at all. even when I create mini map like 30x30 it runs bad. moving map or zooming takes few minutes. like it would works fine for one second then 30 seconds of no response, and again one second reaction (and gpu is working on 100% and heating). it st seen also with coordinates preview. I tried to alter opengl options via ati tray tools but it doesn't help (maybe a very little better, but not enough to even try to work). Also when running in any compatibility mode openggl window is black and don't show anything. The only thing that made mapview workable was turning app to 256 color mode, but then..You know, is visually unworkable. Any ideas?

ps It is a pity mapview isn't continued. From what I see it is the best and mod compatible tool around.

Also, not 100% sure if the debug plugin editor still works.

But you could mayb use this

debug version of the editor plugin (replace but backup the original version of course) to find out which file is not behaving.

The reason for this is that i basicly did not write it perfectly when it comes to other mods. I'm guessing rifle is not a vanilla mod so the file structure might not be as designed. Mapview definately has problems when it comes to mods that have different file structure for whatever reason. Mayb even some very sophisticated mods do something completly different.

But as i said, even if it might not be working ingame. You can fake all route types, terrain, types, features, bonuses etc. by making a copy of an existing and working mod and then adjust the "type" tags in the fake copy to match the not working mods ressources.

Hope it helped a bit.

Top Bottom