March 12 - GDC: new screenshots

in this screenshot, the short mountain chain looks awwwwwesome :drool:

I really hope they improve the rivers before release though, they look like crap :thumbsdown:

mech, I don't see it either... :confused:

The terrain is looking quite good, I'll give it that; but then again I've already said if the ONLY changes civ V made were new graphics, hex tiled maps, and improved AI, it'd be a good new game for me; no need for anything more (or anything detracting from those). I hope there's more varied height/altitude/a few more variations in terrain in general in the default game though.

I bet that's probably the barbs guarding a City Ruin, aka CiV's goodie huts. A city state probably would have some kind of borders, and the thing the barbs are standing on looks more like ruins.

I bet that's probably the barbs guarding a City Ruin, aka CiV's goodie huts. A city state probably would have some kind of borders, and the thing the barbs are standing on looks more like ruins.

I thought they might be city ruins but they didn't look very ruined to me. :p

They kind of look like Gers. (Traditional Mongolian "houses")

Perhaps it is a Mongol city or maybe barbarians have different looking cities depending if they are from Africa, America, Europe or Asia. Or maybe there are nomadic barbarians and that is their "city" graphic.

So interesting...

I looked closely the pics, and share you my thougths, questions:

pic.No.4.: Why buildings are not the same size on one part of the city? Pop-growth visualized?

also pic.No.4.: What is that yellow grained resource on the ground? (on plain tile, up-right, coast)

No.17 bottom: what is that? Barbarian town? City-state? – it is no ruin…

No.16. has something like 3 resources I am not sure about: Corn? Salt? Mushrooms?
Hm, corn would be yellow on top, would not?

Cities have different “mapping”,
one is with buildings (districts?) close to each other (e.g. No.21),
an other is with districts far apart (No.20). Why?

Why not a single mine on any hill tile of the pics?

Map script in regards to mountains and mountain ranges looks improved, and even deserts are looking in more accurate locations.

Love the swamps, very natural transitions.

Most if the resources look crap to me, especially the animals. Jungles look odd being darker than the forests.

Keep working, art team! These shots on the whole are looking great!

Maybe we should start adding the colours to our civ list.

Dark Purple.Light Purple: Asian style
Mid-Green/Beige-Orange: Asian style
Black/Yellow: Asian style
Black/Light Grey: Asian style

Red/Cyan: Mesoamerican style - Aztecs

White/Dark Green - Beige Boxes style
Dark Green/Yellow Green: Beige Box style
Orange/Crimson: Beige Box style
Red/Yellow: Beige Box style

Purple/Yellow: Dark Box style
Black/Light Blue: Dark Box style
Dark Blue/White: Dark Box style

White/Red: ?
Dark Green/Light Green: ?
Black/Purple: ?

Single Mid-Blue line - City State wasn't it?

Wow! I just saw these right before I was going to go to bed. Looks like no sleep for me.:)

Does anyone think the mountains are passable? In one, it looks like mountains are totally cutting off the peninsula.

Those look really awesome.

And I have to agree V.Soma seems to have some kind of direct connection with the internet, finding all those new infos the minute they come online! Great job!

For me it's pretty clear that civs will have double colored border and city states - single colored border

My exact thought while looking at the screenshots.

Had the time to look at all of them. And they are really interesting!
I especially like the picture where the half-buld Colossus can be seen. That would finally be a great addition. It doesn't make any sense for wonders to jost pop out on the landscape, how much more informative to see them being build right on the map. You could tell what wonder your enemy is building just by looking at it. It's hard to build something like the Pyramides in secret!

And that island where the lower part is completely cut off by the mountain range. That's exactly the kind of terrain features I have always missed in Civ IV, they were just so rare with the diagonal movement possibilities. I already love hex maps that's for sure!

V.Soma seems to have some kind of direct connection with the internet, finding all those new infos the minute they come online! Great job!

Thanks for the kind words from all of you :)

...even so, I cannot be at the net all night and day...

but I share with you my method:

I simply have Google open and check "Civilization 5" or "Civ 5" or "Civ5"
every hour when I can, and now the trick:
with the search set to "last hour"...

I see a little resources and no fog of war. Oh well that's just a sample picture for us. Still in alpha stage right?

Very nice link - although I'm not liking the "army of clones" vibe I'm getting from the groups of workers - although since the other units seem to have some variety, hopefully this is just because these screenshots are so early in development.

Top Bottom