March-based promotion strategy

Jtownsend

Chieftain
I was wondering if anyone bothered to complement super-medic GG use with a stack made up entirely of march-promoted units. As someone who tends to favour more specific upgrades (CR, drill with tech leads, etc) over Strength, I've never really had anything close to the option; but if the intent were to pre-meditatedly create a very, very mobile SOD, I would think that Str1->med1->March would be -just- feasible.

That's the problem though - just. It makes me wonder if it's been tried often enough to evaluate, given that 3 promotions, one generic, one effectively useless and the other one passive, is an awfully tall order to have on every single unit in a stack. And it'd also mean no CR that could stay with the march-stack, which would be rough.

Building a Heroic Epic/Red Cross city and having a GG build a Military Academy there could get you a whole lot of units who can take March as their first promotion.

I prefer to get to March via Combat III. This makes my stack more combat effective and eliminates those redundant Medic I promotions. Early on, I'll promote some, though obviously not all, units along this path, and later I'll usually have a city or two generating out-of-the-box units with or very close to getting March. It's not a good approach if I suddenly decide I need such a stack in the next few turns, but if I have that stack as a goal in mind from the beginning, it works most of the time.

On the stack itself, I love it. Done right, it's a juggernaut that doesn't even have to slow down, except to regroup after grinding down the latest pocket of resistance. Get them promoted up to Commando (another reason I like the Combat III route), and it just becomes ridiculously effective. Try AlazkanAssassin's Napoleonic Europe scenario for a very fun and flexible approach to this end. GG units can get a March Ability promotion which gives every unit on the same or an adjacent tile the March effect for that turn. Basically, you only have to customize a single unit with Medic III and March Ability to create your unstoppable juggernaut stack. I love stacking that unit with a bunch of Drill IV Regulars (or better yet, Commando Guards) and Grenadiers and going to town.

Top Bottom