Masters of Magic - Amurite Game Diary [RifE]

CyberForte

Chieftain
Well, many ideas for another game diary have died prematurely or failed to hold my interest, but here's another attempt. All caveats of the previous one still apply. I'm still running the public svn version of RifE 1.31.
This time, the mapscript is MountainCoast.

Settings:
Huge Map, but -1 player
Temperate Climate
High Sea Level
Monarch
No Savages - I noticed in my last game that barbs were really too much and had effectively crippled some of the AIs, so this game I decided to turn off the most powerful barb faction to help them.
New Random Seed
Blessings of Amathon
Wild Mana
All Unique Features
Religion-Based Interface
Broader Alignments
Flavor Start

All victories enabled
Quick gamespeed

Leader: Dain the Caswallawn of Amurites
Neutral Good (80/390)
Philosophical/Arcane

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As the Age of Rebirth began to take shape, the Amurite people encountered a crisis. Although traditionally an Aristocracy, negligence on the part of the magical elite, more focused on their studies than on politics, allowed a powerful queen, Valledia the Even, to rule with almost absolute power. Her methods were cruel and cold, but effective, winning much support from the common people who had long been disillusioned with the magically-skilled elite.

This was the situation when an archmage of exceptional ability, Dain, rose to the position of Caswallawn, the highest position in the magical hierarchy. By the time of his ascension, Valledia had rendered the office almost entirely impotent, subverting its power to supplement her own.

Dain, however, was not content to stand by idly as he began to realize the depths of depravity that were being embraced, the total subversion of his vision of the Amurites' ideal, for the sake of survival. After a particularly grievous offense, he could stand it no longer and, along with a coalition of other disenfranchised citizens, but aristocrats and commoners, he threw a coup, even though he was well aware of its end result.

That is to say, despite being victorious, he and his followers were looked upon harshly by those who had been pleased with the peace brought by Valledia's policies. In the end, the archmage chose to lead them voluntarily into exile, traveling far into the untamed reaches of the Erebusian wilds to start their civilization anew....

Spoiler :

The first city in this new Amurite nation, settled near the famous Pool of Tears, would be called Celestia, in both an attempt to break with the traditional names still used at home, and in hopes that the city's name would be a self-fulfilling prophesy. Many of their traditions remained, but the knowledge carried by the exiles had to be renewed through research.

Spoiler :

In leading his people through this trying time, Dain reluctantly took up a role that combined his status as Caswallawn with that of the traditional monarch. Although he was a staunch supporter of the traditional Amurite aristocracy, the failings of it were glaringly obvious after what had happened. Given that, his discontent with being the absolute head of state was relatively small, knowing that, in time, he would devise a viable alternative that precluded the problems of the previous government, and also those of his current one. For now, the Amurites needed leadership.

Spoiler :

Traditionally, the Amurites had had no state religion. Valledia had created a state cult of Junil as a part of her efforts, but most of those who had gone into exile with Dain, including the Caswallawn himself, had little love for the authoritarian deity. However, when Dain's reputation for philosophy brought a renowned prophet to Celestia, another precedent was broken.

That is to say, in discussing with this man the problems of the new Amurite people, and how they might be addressed, a notion that had appealed to him in the past came up. Dain had always had a certain fascination with the mechanical works of the dwarven peoples of Erebus. However, in his youth they had seemed a terrible waste of effort...

Now, though, he realized that, with a weak and limited portion of the magical elite remaining in his own city, there was some logic in the dwarves' approach. If the new Amurite society was to prosper, it could not be based in magic alone. No, rather the infrastructure was something that had been lacking even in their old lands. It was no wonder that the commoners were discontent when their importance was downplayed in favor of the magical elite, but they still did most of the labor at the end of the day.

With such ideals in mind, the prophet turned his prayers to the earthmother, Kilmorph; Dain would now establish a formal cult to her, with Lanthis as its first high priest, and by doing so he would hope to make the people feel appreciated for their work whilst still in truth maintaining the system that allowed the mages to practice their craft unfettered by the demands of everyday life.

It was not a cynical solution the way Valledia's cult had been, though. In his eyes, it was a way to make the people's hard work more appreciated; it wasn't as though the work of the magi was any less vital or difficult, after all, and he felt that Kilmorph's teachings applied equally to both classes.

Spoiler :

Having done this, Dain now set about developing a system of education for his people; ultimately, he sought to recreate the traditional Amurite system of apprenticeship to determine if it was still viable in his new kingdom. Certainly it was one well-suited to magecraft, for untrained magi were of little use...

However, in addition, he now sought to attract the dwarven followers of Kilmorph to his kingdom to aid the common people in establishing a strong infrastructure. Brave dwarven soldiers who could teach the Amurites the secrets of mining came...

Spoiler :

Unexpectedly, however, they also soon met a true dwarven nation in the region, a potential ally given the path of worship that the Amurites had chosen to take. However, many citizens were less than enthused, for the dwarven leader, Arturus, was less than thrilled by his first encounter with the magical society... News also arrived from travelers of an unsavory character referred to as "Loki."

Spoiler :

The Amurites rejoiced soon after, however, as The Open Tome moved into prominence during their study of how best to arrange the formal magical hierarchy of the new kingdom. As the dwarves developed superior mining, the Amurites' own workers moved to take advantage of the area's natural rich vineyards, creating several sources of superior wine. As of yet, little thought was given to expansion...

Spoiler :

Under the advisement of Dain, one of the priests at the local temple came forward. The man professed to having had a vision from Kilmorph herself, and requested permission to build a great shrine. He called it the Tablets of Bambur, for the great building's very walls were inscribed with writings which the man had claimed his dream had told him were the teachings first given to the dwarf Bambur. Proof that the goddess herself endorsed this structure was evident, for upon its completion, the Amurites found that earth elemental mana pervaded it, and that they were able to harness it quite easily.

Meanwhile, the study of working bronze was taken up. Magical surveillance suggested that the dwarven nation was developing a strong army. Though it was all of warriors, the fear still remained, and the Amurite adepts were not yet skillful enough to reassure the people. They desired security, and also to expand, for that same reconnaissance suggested vast stretches of untamed wilderness which they should begin to claim....

Spoiler :

As immigrants poured in, Dain praised the Earthmother for the fortuitous timing and through the impressive treasury gained by her teachings, had them outfitted to build a new community. This second city was christened New Cervades only because the immigrants, having come from the old Amurite lands, were not yet entirely ready to abandon their old ways entirely yet.

Still, soon they too followed Kilmorph, and new magical scouting revealed rich sources of gold further north. With both the human and dwarven elements of his empire craving this, Dain knew that further expansion in that direction was almost a foregone conclusion. And word spread that the same state cult of Kilmorph had finally taken root in the true dwarven lands as well, easing the fears of the people.

Studying Warfare, Dain decides to temporarily treat the economy as though it were built for conquest, allowing the mages to be trained with far more initial experience, due to a lack of more refined methods for their training. To substantiate the claim to this, he declares a campaign of aggression against the demons in the surrounding lands and begins the study of Mathematics.

Spoiler :

A great sage came to Celestia, drawn by Dain's reputation as a philosopher and seeker of knowledge, and she opted to settle in the city. Meanwhile, a new city, named Ostia after a port of great repute in the fallen Patrian empire, was founded upon the shore, giving the empire access to the sea--and requiring that they take an interest in Fishing and Sailing.

Precipitated by this, they encountered a foul pirate captain named Blackheart. He was a worshiper of the monstrosities known as the "Overlords," and an enemy of the dwarves. Cementing the friendship of the latter further enraged the former, and Dain knew that, sooner or later, war would come.

Spoiler :

With war so obviously impending, the Amurites began proper preparations. Although the Tower Mages protecting the dwarven mines, veterans of the old Amurite military, and the Apprentices of the new system were valuable, none of them were well equipped to invade. No, they would require the power of true Sorcery for that.

In preparation for such sorcery, a great magical building dubbed the Catacomb Librarus took shape, rising high above Celestia's streets. As well, the subject of elementalism was studied in detail, before the actual topic of sorcery was broached....

And so ends the first chapter of our story. More is to follow. Thoughts so far?
-CF

Spoiler :

Continuing preparations amongst the Amurites soon also led to the creation of the greatest library in the world, furthering their already impressive reputation for scholarship, and inspiriting their scholars and sages to greater heights.

Soon after, the techniques of sorcery were perfected, and the true preparations for battle could begin. Now the Amurite's adepts could achieve the magical heights that had been common in the old empire, if not yet truly the highest peaks of that power of old.

Spoiler :

Soon, they would meet Thessa the elven queen, and three rather deranged dwarves who had established a splinter faction of the Balseraph empires. These revolting creatures and their servant Loki contrived to steal a city, Hallowell, from the Khazard, enraging Dain and drawing more enmity toward them than even the pirates.

Spoiler :

Contact with elven scholars helped to establish a formal priestly caste in the Amurite society, and further research into arcane matters raised the Amurite understanding even greater. Hearing of this, the great teacher Govannon finally made his transition, abandoning the old empire to join Dain's.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, reconnaissance gave rise to diplomatic contact with Charadon of the Donivello. Dain found the man to be quite barbaric, but with many enemies as it was, he temporarily was willing to make peace on this front. But his indignation over the Balseraph's actions grew, and when they refused to cede Hallowell to him, he made the decision to take it by force.

Spoiler :

However, after thus forcibly capturing the city, he was unable, even after hastily developing mapmaking techniques and obtaining the geographical knowledge of his neighbors, to learn of the location of the main Balseraph empire. Frustrated, he demanded a hefty tribute and called off the war.

In the process, however, he met the beautiful and charming Elohim queen, Ethne the White. The two became fast friends, both seeking the good of her people. Even knowing the Elohim were unlikely to maintain it, he passed on the teachings of the Earthmother, and the two empires joined together to form a new political group to be known as the Overcouncil.

Spoiler :

Finally, upon studying the concept of taxation, Dain conceived of a superior form of government. It would be the Republic, from a Patrian word meaning "things of the people." He would remain Caswallawn, the commander of the Amurite magical army and administrator of justice, but the best of the people, both mage and otherwise, would form the Senate, which would be composed of two houses based upon those two classes and it would be the primary civic governing body. But, to ensure the will of the people was upheld, the senators for the House of the Magi would be chosen from the magi by the magi, and the House of the Populous would be elected by general assembly of the people....

And so, the first acts of this new government were to set the scholars researching better engineering, and to formulate the official declaration of war, bringing the long-running tension with the Lanun to a head. This would be a true test of the Amurites' magic...

Spoiler :

Passing through the elven lands to reach the Lanun, whose cities were ultimately further than anticipated, the Amurites took note of the impressive gem mines Thessa commanded. Trading fine Amurite wine and Cotton, they managed to obtain these precious stones so highly coveted by them for use in honoring Kilmorph, bringing great happiness.

Spoiler :

Soon after, a crises arises on the home front. Not content with even their newfound powers, some of the commoners launched an attack upon the traditional laws established in the name of Kilmorph early on. Dain's support in the senate was heavily upon the side of those in favor of keeping the old laws, and with his support they were victorious, giving him even more of a reputation as a spiritual leader.

Spoiler :

Charado, however, had begun to prove that he would be a rather inveterate enemy, establishing a state cult of Agares to justify his brutality as much as the Donivello would justify anything. If not for the distance, Dain would've organized an attack upon him swiftly...

Spoiler :

The existing war, however, was going quite well. The Lanun cities all fell in quick succession, and even the demonic Saverous could not stand in the face of the Amurite magics. The superiority of their strategy, in the mind of the mages, was quite evident when three of them alone accomplished this feat before reinforcements could arrive.

Spoiler :

In the aftermath of the conflict, a new neighbor was discovered in the Dural. Though in the past, the Amurites had gotten on well with these seekers of knowledge, sharing many traits and opinions, this fragment of their people seemed uncouth and deceptive. The leader was worst of all, a cold woman named Ophelia with eyes that had seen too much, and a voice that was so cold it chilled Dain to the bone.

Worse yet, however, was Gaius Octavius. Long had the Bannor and the Amurites been at odds, but this young man seemed to embody all that was wrong with the corrupt Bannor hierarchy. Half a priest, half a king, he was waging unjust war against the fair Ethne. With such a conflict against their closest allies, the Amurites again prepared for war.

Some, however, questioned the eagerness with which the Caswallawn prepared for this battle. Questions and rumors arose, the most prominent of the latter being of an affair between the Amurite war leader and the Elohim queen. But Dain himself was pointed silent on the matter, even as he issued a dictum to Gaius:

Hail Gaius Octavius;
Dain, Caswallawn of the Amurite Republic, Scion of the Earthmother, and First Archmage, thinks it just that the Empire of the Bannor stop its battles against his allies the Elohim. Should this battle continue, then let it be known that the Amurites shall come to the defense of their compatriots and make war against the Bannor, by land and through the ether, with magic and with money.

When the Bannor refused to acknowledge this demand, the Amurites made good upon their promise.

Sigh. The screenshot failure issue of before came up again, and then when I actually try to start fighting the Bannor I'm being overrun with MAFs. I guess I'll drop this one too; sorry to anyone who was reading. I was rather enjoying it, but it just... augh. Bloody thing. Might try another one later. Definitely no more Huge maps for me.
-CF

Nice write up.

I don't know what to tell you regarding the errors since this game, unfortunately, crashes a lot for me.
For screenshots, you can try to play on window mode and use a freeware screenshot taker maybe.

Yeah, that's the one problem I have with FfH, especially RifE. Unfortunately, I've become too addicted to the features of the latter to really enjoy the vanilla game anymore. I've had less MAFs lately, but since I only play on a laptop with 2gb of ram, I guess the Huge was a bit much. Yeah, I do play in windowed mode; I was considering using that kind of screenshots until the mafs started and refused to stop. If I do another, definitely standard or large map. Though, I've noticed that MountainCoast tends to give a lot less MAFs than ErebusContinent and WorldofErebus on the whole. Someday I'll be less of a broke college student and get more ram.

Anyway, glad you liked it. I expected it to be more interesting as it went along, especially since the Khazard summoned the Mercutians not long after the screenshots started to fail, and in at least one of my many reloads to try to fix the damn mafs, they had ended up declaring on Ethne, making for a very precarious political landscape with my two best allies pitted against each other. I might give it a few more tries before I give up entirely. Though, I might play with permanent alliances on next time. Normally I don't, but the idea of a "marriage" uniting the Amurites and Elohim in his particular game would've been fun.

Either way, I hope it was moderately interesting, and a slight demonstration that it's possible to create a primarily magic-based army in some cases. Though it would've been harder if the barbs had been turned up. I might consider switching to the developmental version to see if the barb balance is better there...
-CF

Top Bottom