Maximum Functional Map Size

I_batman

Emperor
Hi.

Been a long long time since I have been on these forums, and I apologize since I am sure this question is answered already somewhere.

But what is the maximum functional size of a modified map before a computer with say, 4 year old technology, starts lagging or frying?

Assume the map is 80% water, example, for Cold War 1970's naval combat in the North Atlantic?

I may be wrong, but I remember having read somewhere that water map may need more processing time for ships pathfinding... So I'll say medium or large.

Not worth starting a new thread for and on a similar note anyways, I was curious about how much these can be increased:

Code:
<Row Name="MAX_SUPPORTED_MAP_X">
			<Value>152</Value>
		</Row>
		<Row Name="MAX_SUPPORTED_MAP_Y">
			<Value>96</Value>
		</Row>

Anyone explore this? Can you go into WB with these values increased and make custom gigantic maps (theoretically, since system limits would probably be hit eventually)?

When I tested these limits last year, 182x96 (or something close to that) was the max size I could load without crash. Don't know if it has changed with recent patches.

WB is limited to huge size (120x80), the Giant Earth Map from YnAEMP was made with a modified version of WB which doesn't work anymore.

but I think you can still make/work on gigantic map modifying an existing game script to create a giant map, save the map in game and open it in WB.

Oh, and I just noticed your 180 x 94 Giant Earth Map :goodjob:. Screen shot looks nice, so I will have take a closer look now.

but I think you can still make/work on gigantic map modifying an existing game script to create a giant map, save the map in game and open it in WB.

Hello,

How may I open a save map in the WB ? I can't find a proper civ5map file...

Kwadjh

the giant mapsizes also work the other way around.
using the wrong setting of , say, 79 x 180
for, say, an Inland Sea map
= will get you a very tall and skinny map.
while it's playable - and very different than normal -
it's also very much *NOT* the normal wide rectangular map
that we're all accustomed to.

Yah, I like the giant maps too.
one big problem is that they crash like blazes
in the late end-game when you're maxing everything out.
I have a bad feeling the *ONLY* answer to that
is a lot more Gigs of RAM -
and I'm already running dual-core cpu with 8 gigs ram
on a semi-recent system build.

I have a bad feeling the *ONLY* answer to that
is a lot more Gigs of RAM -
and I'm already running dual-core cpu with 8 gigs ram
on a semi-recent system build.

That's sort of true, but a 32-bit process (like CiV) on 64-bit Windows only has access to 4GB of RAM, so there's nothing anyone can do to make giant maps more stable without finding ways to cut corners off memory usage elsewhere.

I think I will give it a try. I modified the entries in the civ5worlds.xml file in the Expansion2 ... GameInfo folder:

<Row>
<Type>WORLDSIZE_HUGE</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE</Description>
<Help>TXT_KEY_WORLD_HUGE_HELP</Help>
<DefaultPlayers>18</DefaultPlayers> was 12
<DefaultMinorCivs>36</DefaultMinorCivs> was 24
<GridWidth>160</GridWidth> was 128
<GridHeight>100</GridHeight> was 80
<MaxActiveReligions>9</MaxActiveReligions> was 7
<FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>35</FogTilesPerBarbarianCamp>
<NumNaturalWonders>9</NumNaturalWonders> was 7
<UnitNameModifier>0</UnitNameModifier>
<TargetNumCities>10</TargetNumCities> was 6
<NumFreeBuildingResources>7</NumFreeBuildingResources>
<BuildingClassPrereqModifier>100</BuildingClassPrereqModifier>
<MaxConscriptModifier>75</MaxConscriptModifier>
<TerrainGrainChange>1</TerrainGrainChange>
<FeatureGrainChange>1</FeatureGrainChange>
<ResearchPercent>130</ResearchPercent>
<NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent>40</NumCitiesUnhappinessPercent> was 60
<NumCitiesPolicyCostMod>4</NumCitiesPolicyCostMod> was ? - I shoud have mad a backup first :crazyeye:
<NumCitiesTechCostMod>2</NumCitiesTechCostMod> was ?
<AdvancedStartPointsMod>120</AdvancedStartPointsMod>
<EstimatedNumCities>200</EstimatedNumCities>
<IconAtlas>WORLDSIZE_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
<PortraitIndex>5</PortraitIndex>
</Row>

I didn't add 24 civs, because already 18 will probably increase the length of calculating between turns.
The number of beliefs in VP allows for only 9 religions.
I don't know what TargetNumCities does, but I increased it, as it was gradually increased in the settings from tiny to the original huge.
I reduced the NumCities... entries, because I read somewhere it could become difficult otherwise to have the big new world settled with cities.

Using Really Advanced Setup (v 15) and Vox Populi (3.5.2), the world builds up without problems, and InGame Editor+ (v 45) shows the intended number of Civs and City States is present.

I will start to play next week (a King's Marathon).

Is there any advice you can give on whether or how to alter/improve these settings to avoid dissapointments during my game ?

Try my Tectonic map script, and set the World Size to Huge, Map Ratio to Wide Rectangular, and Size Modifier to Gigantic.
It's practically the biggest size the game can generate. If I set the value a little bit higher, the game will CTD when loading.

Width: (150 * 1.05) * 1.2 = 189 (X)
Height: (94 * 0.95) * 1.2 = 107 (Y)
Total plots: 189 * 107 = 20223 (X*Y)

Top Bottom