Mechs?

nukehumvee

Warlord
I understand this topic would cover the entire main Civ series, however there isn't a forum section for Civ in general, thus I put it here. Any actions by the mods to move it are welcome.

So the idea of WWII foot infantrymen upgrading to mechanised infantry riding inside armoured vehicles baffles me. Mainly because infantry combat is still mostly fought on foot instead of relying on vehicles, and that cavalry in Civ is less fleshed out, only having one class (heavy cavalry/knight/tank) and sidelining the lighter classes (dragoons, horse archers, armoured cars).

The game is an abstraction. You can't have all types of military represented with separate unit, so here come gameplay reasons first. Mech. Inf. is a good representation, because modern infantry needs to move faster to be in line with the rest of the combat, where tanks and planes become dominant.

I agree that you can't have all types if military units. However like I said, there's only one main cavalry line, the Heavy Cavalry, and that light cavalry have mostly been sidelined. I feel that mechanised infantry fits more being modern light cavalry than being an upgrade of foot soldiers.

Some mods address this and more.
Civ4 Realism Invictus mod has two lines of cavalry.
One is the Charge Mounted series that upgrades along the rifle using cavalry path to Heavy Tanks.
The other is the Ranged Mounted path that upgrades from horse archers to pistol using to Armored cars. These are usually lighter but faster than the Charge mounted and good at taking them out.
Infantry do eventually upgrade to a vehicle on wheels, but there are still non-driven units too, like Commandoes which are upgrades along the Recon path.
Marines and Paratroopers are in too.

Here is the link if you'd like to check it out.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411799

Some mods address this and more.
Civ4 Realism Invictus mod has two lines of cavalry.
One is the Charge Mounted series that upgrades along the rifle using cavalry path to Heavy Tanks.
The other is the Ranged Mounted path that upgrades from horse archers to pistol using to Armored cars. These are usually lighter but faster than the Charge mounted and good at taking them out.
Infantry do eventually upgrade to a vehicle on wheels, but there are still non-driven units too, like Commandoes which are upgrades along the Recon path.
Marines and Paratroopers are in too.

Here is the link if you'd like to check it out.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411799

Thanks. This is a mod I would install if I replay Civ IV again. Do you know any mod with this similar function for Civ V?

No. I sat out Civ5.
If that is the main mod you seek, maybe the moderators will move this thread to the Civ5 section so that those more knowledgeable on the subject can address your questions better.

Nowadays the bulk of infantry forces doesn't consist of "foot soilders", tho, AFVs/IFVs are integral parts of modern infantry formations, the squad size is dictated by the carrying capability of the vehicle they are using etc.

Of course combat in Civ is an abstraction, when you order you mech inf to attack you have to imagine infantry dismounting at a safe distance and fighting on foot, with their vehicles providing fire support.

Helicopters are the modern cavalry equivalent.

Helicopters are the modern cavalry equivalent.

It really depends on the country and the military doctrine used between WW1 and the Cold war. Some "upgraded" their cavalry to helicopters, while some "upgraded" theirs to tanks.

Interestingly it correlates strongly with whether said country used cavalry as a skirmishing or a charge force.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Top Bottom