Medic II?

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Does the Medic II promotion only heal adjacent units 10% per turn (the 8 tiles around to the medic), or does it also boost healing in the medic's tile another 10% per turn (on top of the 10% from Medic I)?

I don't believe that Medic II adds healing to the unit's square in and of itself. It basically just extends the range of Medic I

From the reference:
"Heal Units in Adjacent Tiles Extra 10% Damage/Turn"

I didn't see any change from having medic II instead of medic I, I think is useless if you are used to move your whole army on the same square.

Yeah, the only thing I see Medic II being good for is when you are moving through enemy territory pillaging and you want to have your stacks split up a bit. Your one medic could then heal several stacks at once rather than just one. I don't use this myself (there are better promotions), but that's the only use I can imagine for it.

Indeed better promotions. Thats why i like to get a couple of scouts with medic. They are not going to be a defender (too weak). And with the medic 2 promotion, you can keep a drive going a bit better. IE:

3 archers, 1 medi2-scout vs 3 archers, 1 medi1-scout.

Barbs attack your stack and damage one archer. it has to sit still to heal. You move the remaing 2 archers forward, where they get attacked again. With the medi2 promo you can "leap-frog" your healed units, where as with the medi1 promo you have longer waits to achieve the same result.

I think the medi2 promo is a good one. It's the other one I feel is bugged. March only works on the unit that has it. So if you wanted to move and heal the stack, all the units have to have it. Defeats the purpose of "keeping a medic unit with your stack". (since you have to have medic1 to get march).

I've used it to heal units guarding a resource adjectant to a city. The medicII unit sits safely in the city, while the resource guarding unit(s) have defence promotions.

I have very rarely used the "Medic" promotions. I this think it is almost a wasted promotion when considering the power you gain with the other promotions

Tauro said:
I didn't see any change from having medic II instead of medic I, I think is useless if you are used to move your whole army on the same square.

And a couple of suicide catapult attacks later, your Stack of Doom is full of badly-damaged units.

With multiple stacks, the enemy has to spread their artillery's collateral damage.

flytyer said:
I have very rarely used the "Medic" promotions. I this think it is almost a wasted promotion when considering the power you gain with the other promotions

Medic is a worthless promotion unless you really have a huge stack of troops.

If you really needed healing via Medic, chances are that the enemy stack is going to wipe your stack off the planet by the next turn.

Medic's something good to give to units that are at the end of their useful life, but aren't worth it to upgrade to new units. And due to the low strength of said units, they don't get attacked easily when in a deep stack.

I'd really like to see a "medic" unit that you can build - low strength, defend only, but starts with Medic 1.

Medic is a huge help. It triples the healing speed of units in enemy territory.

Xerol said:
Medic's something good to give to units that are at the end of their useful life, but aren't worth it to upgrade to new units. And due to the low strength of said units, they don't get attacked easily when in a deep stack.

I'd really like to see a "medic" unit that you can build - low strength, defend only, but starts with Medic 1.

Expansion idea...

Would be waiting to see Industrious, Philosophical Leader and the Nero-Raze-Your-Own-City option.

Xerol said:

Just build a scout/explorer with a barracks

March is a good raider promotion since their goal is to keep moving and destroying improvements. Stopping and healing, or picking a fight is bad raiding.

And yeah medic2 helps counter enemy artillery.

Medic1 also shines with defensive units. When your defenders heal so much hp per turn it makes your cities harder to kill. I like giving it to machine guns since they don't get city defense promo.

edit:
Krikkitone said:
Just build a scout/explorer with a barracks
dammit why am I so ******ed!? I've never thought of that and it's a beautiful trick. I get so mad when I accidentally attack with my medic...

Draax said:
dammit why am I so ******ed!? I've never thought of that and it's a beautiful trick. I get so mad when I accidentally attack with my medic...

You arent that ******ed. You need 5 XP to get Combat1 and Medic1. Even being Agressive to begin with wont work because scouts/explorers dont count as Melee or Gunpowder, they're Recon and thus dont get the free promotion from Agressive.

The Baracks only gives 4 XP so all by itself it isnt enough to pump out Medic1 scouts.

Palantir30 said:
You arent that ******ed. You need 5 XP to get Combat1 and Medic1. Even being Agressive to begin with wont work because scouts/explorers dont count as Melee or Gunpowder, they're Recon and thus dont get the free promotion from Agressive.

The Baracks only gives 4 XP so all by itself it isnt enough to pump out Medic1 scouts.

Theocracy or Vassalage. They come late classical/early medieval, right?

Pragmatic said:
Theocracy or Vassalage. They come late classical/early medieval, right?

Yes......but each of those is something other than a barracks "all by it self". 5XP comes out of goodie huts, that would also work. Many things would work to get recon units 5 XP, but as I said, not barracks all by themselves.

It's not hard to have at least one warrior or scout reach level 2 from early barbarians; give this guy Medic for ancient conquests. Once you get Vassalage or Theocracy (or if you're Aggressive) you can easily make medics.

Explorers make the best medics; they have 2 movement points, ignore terrain costs, and never get attacked.

Medic I drastically increases the healing speed of units in enemy or neutral territory, since the base healing rates are only 10% and 20%, respectively. When you're sitting outside an enemy city and bombarding the defenses, it doubles the healing rate for your assault units if the stack gets attacked by seige units.

Don't get March for your Medic, get it after Combat III instead! This way they heal every single turn, regardless of if they move or attack. I use this for Cho-Ko-Nu's (Crossbowmen), since they can't get city raider promotions, I go the Combat & March route. I also often go for March for defensive calvalry, so they can heal every turn they move.

Thalassicus said:
It's not hard to have at least one warrior or scout reach level 2 from early barbarians; give this guy Medic for ancient conquests. Once you get Vassalage or Theocracy (or if you're Aggressive) you can easily make medics.

Explorers make the best medics; they have 2 movement points, ignore terrain costs, and never get attacked.

Medic I drastically increases the healing speed of units in enemy or neutral territory, since the base healing rates are only 10% and 20%, respectively. When you're sitting outside an enemy city and bombarding the defenses, it doubles the healing rate for your assault units if the stack gets attacked by seige units.

Don't get March for your Medic, get it after Combat III instead! This way they heal every single turn, regardless of if they move or attack. I use this for Cho-Ko-Nu's (Crossbowmen), since they can't get city raider promotions, I go the Combat & March route. I also often go for March for defensive calvalry, so they can heal every turn they move.

I thought the base healing rates in enemy and neutral territory were 5 and 10 hp (not 10 and 20)

Top Bottom