Medieval Age (Fictional) 0.1 Alpha

Castor_Troy

Warlord
Medieval Age (Fictional)

Compatible with BTS 3.19 only

Version 0.4 (ALPHA) - 30.12.2010

Introduction
As you may have seen in the title the name contains the Fictional part at the end. What it means ? It means that on the Medieval period (500 - 1500) i have changed something:
-the existance of the Western Roman Empire. Yes it did not died in 476 I altered a bit history and it was saved by the Byzantines, therefore some countrys as the Milan will not exist due to the WRE existance. Although it survives it now represents just a shadow of its former self as it will be owning only a part of north Italy.( I guess this was a personal flavour which i could not go over)

Now to get to what actually the mod contains:
-Nations except for WRE the rest of the countrys are from the Medieval period, some being chosen due to their greatness throughout history (Ottoman Empire), map coverage ( County of Sicily), or simply a chalenging small nation surounded by hungry hellhounds (Kingdom of Croatia). Here is a full list of countrys:
Spoiler :

-Units they can be defined into 3 sets: the default units that every nation has (axeman,spearman,archer, heavy swordsman, maceman, longbowman, crossbowman, heavy cavalry, knight, catapult, trebuchet, galley, trireme) there are also default units but unavalable to all civs due to lack of graphics ( light swordsman, light cavalry) and of course the unique units(extremely long list). A small list of units:
Spoiler :

-Buildings I never liked the XP given by buildings and as other mods have done this it has encouraged me to also apply this system.
Rather than saying the XP from Barracks represents a better trained unit I will say the Barracks allows you to train the basic of fighters like Light/ Heavy Swordsman and the Military Encampment allows the far better prepared troops like Maceman, Knight. Its (if you ask me) the same difference between units but just put in a different way.

-Promotions the list of promotions has been updated with graphics from TR mod and SDK from FFH2 and TheLadiesOgre. List of promotions:
Spoiler :

-Other guilds representing the 3 main religious orders, 2 Asian civs (was planning for the 3 mesoamerican and 1 indian also but I wanted to give the current countrys more individuality before that) that work perfect for Custom Game since sometimes you get bored of the same Christian-Islam-Paganism-Mongol combination wars, JTileSpace limiter (still not much gametest has been done with this feature since its the newest added), also many others.

Future Plans

Currently focusing on creating diversity through the European Countrys but the Asian ones arent forgot.

Notes

-Any sugestions to balance are extremely welcome except for the mongols which i think will not be Human Playable so they can simulate their invasion( if you play you`ll see what i mean).

-Also the Scenario is not yet worked on due to the constant additions to the mod, although it is mentioned in the Introduction.

-Sugesting : Blue Marble and Planet Generator0.68

Credits(without this persons/teams contributions this mod wouldnt be out today as it stands):
Bakuel (Holy Roman Empire, Scottish, Byzantine, Papal States, Mongolian, Viking, Hungarian, Song, Ayyubid, Leon, Castille, Fatimid, Croatia, Moors unit sets)(Hospitaller Master)(WRE Knight),
Danrell ( Kiev, Polish, Franks, WRE, Ottoman, Nizari, Teuton, Flander, English, Japan unit sets),
Zerver(Sweden, Viking, Danish, Burgundian unit sets)(Teuton Master)(Maceman, Knight Hungary ),
Sakhr ( Fatimid,Ottoman knights)( Papal Hvy. Cav.)(Medieval units Sicilya),
Ambrox62( Sweden, Venice, Sicily, Bohemia units),
The_J(RealFavouriteReligion, Heroic Strengh, Well mod comps )(For all his patience and help),
Dom_Pedro_II( for his great modcomps like Conquerores Delight)
HoTK team (Strong Rider Trait,Concepts) LINK:http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=304872 recommended mod ;)
TRP team (concepts,buttons,buildings,ships I lost track of all the stuff i took or got inspired, what these guys did here is pure genius it was my 1st Civ IV mod so I recommend it also ;) ),
The Capo( Spaniish Medieval set), Jeckel (Improvements mods),
OrionVeteran (Orion`s Inquisiton Mod is the basic around which i build all this), Fierabras (Mongol Camp component),
Tsentom1 (Seafaring, Nomadic traits, Venice Arsenal ability)(Field Medic, Skirmisher, Survival, Marauder promotions)
Wolfshane(Irish , Bohemia unit sets), RFC Europe team(concepts, buttons),
Bernie14 (Hvy. Cvly., Horse Arc. Mongols), AlazkanAssassin (Christian Pilgrim),Aranor (Bulgarian unit pack),
Surdanis(Hospitaller Knight),HROCHland(Guild House,Saint Vitus), Refar(religious buildings,wonders,ships), Chamaedrys (Castle improvement/building), mechaerik (Papal Hvy. Swordsman), embryodead ( Mamluk, Ottoman Horse Archer, Ayyubid Knight, Ghulam Mounted Units),
FK2006 (LOTS of buttons), Woodelf (Orthodox Cathedral, Viking Storehouse), JustATourist/achilleszero(Viking Longboat),ambrox62(Galley models), Zenspiderz ( Huscarl), Gagonite (Irish Longbowman),
Walter Hawkwood (wonders,buildings, City Ballista), Pencilgod(Constantine Walls), Jeckel (tile space modcomp), Firaxis Team(they know for what :p) .

If I forgot anyone or to add something to someone please tell me and I will do it, as it was a due to the fact that i forgot/not seen not that I do not want to credit them, like i said the mod as it stands is because of the work of these guys up here ;).

Screenshots
Well since an image is worth a thousand words:
Spoiler :

Download
To install simply extract the file to your BtS Mods folder with Winrar or 7Zip.

FileFront: Download

Known Bugs:

-Marauder promotion seems to cause the game to CTD
- World Wonders cause CTD if JTileSpace is allowing buildings to change the space of tiles

Version History
Spoiler :
Changelog 0.3 :
-Replaced the UnitArtStyles for Leon and Castille with Bakuels new Spanish,Portuguese.
-Added new tags to traits: bBenevolent, bDiplomatic, bBarbarianAlly, iPillagingGold, PeaceCommerceModifiers, FeatureGrowthChange, FeatureProductionChange, FeatureYieldChange, FeatureHealthChange.
-Added new tags to promotions: bWonCombatSprawlBarbarian, iExpireChance, iHillsWithdrawalChange, iFeatureWithdrawalChanges, iTerrainWithdrawalChange, iHillsFirstStrikeChange, bRemoveAfterCombat, iFeatureFirstStrikeChange, iGoldCost, iCityFirstStrikes, iUnitCombatFirstStrikes, iUnitCombatWithdrawal, iRequiredBattleCount, iRequiredVictoryCount, iUnitStackModifer(related with iUnitThreshelod).
-Added new tags to improvements: ImprovementRequired, iMakesInvalidRange, bSpreadCultureControl, iCultureBorderRange, iCultureControlStrengh, iCultureControl, iCenterTileBonus.
-Added new tags to units: PromotionFromCombat.
-Replaced Invisibility system with the one from Conquerors Delight (far more user friendly no more SDK change to alter the promotion)
-Redone the Leaders numbers,traits,flavours,declarewarrand to fit more their personality(around 70% of them got a redone).
-FreeXPfromCombat in Traits now works correctly.
-New traits Benevolent, Diplomatic, Crusader, Nature Embrace.
-New countrys: Teutonic Order, Kingdom of Jerusalem, Moors Caliphate.
-Light Swordsman, Light Cavalry is now a default unit resulting in removing lots of useless XML from UnitInfo (Note: the countrys that dont have the art still wont have light swordsman/light Cavalry).
-Various graphics fixes,adds for units (notebly Light Cavalry from Ambrox)
-Banned some more units, buildings for various countrys that need to have a more barbaric feeling.
-New promotion: Frontal Assault II, Demagogue, March(readded), Crowd Control, Sacrifice, Support Request.
-Added Order of Caltrava (Master, Knight) for Castille and Leon.
-Republic requires WRE country.
-New units: Primitive Cannon(Song), Bombard(Ottoman), Dromon(Byzantine), Tripoli Knight, Tripoli Squire, Jerusalem Knight/Squire/Dismounted Knight(Jerusalem), Fore Druzhina(Kiev), Boyars(Kiev), Roman Worker(WRE), Order Hauer(Tetuon), Mamluk(Ayyubid), Horse Archer(Ottoman), Heavy Horse Archer(Ottoman), Ram.
-New Resources: banana(readded), Sulf, Camel.
-Gunpowder units now require Coal and Sulf(to balance their somewhat OP).
-New techs: Alchemy, Gunpowder, Arquebus(available only: Song, Ottoman).
-New cultural building styles for: Palace.
-New wonders/buildings: Flavian Amphitheatre(WRE), Circus Maximus(WRE), Stockade, Fortified Towers, Keep, Vassal Outpost(Jerusalem), Hospital(Jerusalem), Christian Convent(Jerusalem), Holy Speluchre(Jerusalem).
-Added Real Favourite Religion by The_J and readded techs which allow founding religions (but you can only found your historical religion as the other techs are disabled).
-Lots of balance changes or graphic swaps/changes arent mentioned (too troublesome).

Medieval Age (Fictional)0.2 Changelog:
-Labour Civics redone (Farmlands,Workshops,Mills,Fishermen,Rural Development).
-Catapult,Siege Workshop presquites Mathematics.
-High Walls now presquites Construction.
-Fixed a few text description.
-Reduced the TileSpace to -2 for forest,jungle and hills ( was -3).
-Made the Supply Unit,Explorer classes occupy no space.
-Nerfed the fort defense to 25%(from 40%) and Citadel to 40%(from 60%).
-Redone the Siege Weapons strengh, city bonuses.
-Fixed Regeneration promotion as it didnt work.
-Added FreeXPFromCombat into Promotions.
-Changed Elite promotion with +1 XP from Combat (was +75% XP )
-Meele Support promotion (Mounted Unit gets defense from tile, -1 movement, 25% strengh, +1 tile space).
-Frontal Assault promotion (mounted units do 50% collateral damage, max 2 units).
-Added new civ: Nizari Branch( uses Fatimid UnitArtStyle).
-Fatimid UnitArtStyle replaced with Bakuels Berber(North Africa)(Added adittional units, I guess sometimes the Unit
maker determines the number of UU a Civ has :p ).
-Expansive trait now boosts by 100% Siege Workshop creation.
-Changed Osman I traits to Organized and Expansive.
-Added iEnslavementChance(create a Slave on combat Victory) to Civics and UnitInfo.
-Unitclass Explorer limited to 5, Supply Train limited to 7 due to AI overbuilding.
-Increased AI weight for Baaracks, Archery Range, Stable, Siege Workshop, Military Encampment.
-Apostolic Palace: pointed to correct, gives 2 free spys, Requires Christianity civic to be Full Member.
-Christian Cathedral allows 1 Spy into Cities.
-Added Slavery, Crusade civics to Legal.
-Added PrereqReligion,bPrereqWar, PrereqCivilization to Civics.
-Religion Civics Redone ( Christianity, Islam, Pagan, Buddhist).
-Techs added: Fortification(moved castle at this tech and a wonder).
-Convert/CreatefromCombat tags added to UnitsInfo. iCombatInsideCulturalBorder and Invisible tags to Promotions.
-Added Homeland ( +20% strengh inside cultural border) and Ambush ( unit is invisible while in forest/jungle).
-Reworked( bonuses, names, abilities) various units ( English Longbowman does 1 collateral unit now,
Chevalier does 1 collateral unit etc. forgot the rest :p)
-Banned units from countrys which wouldnt have anything to do with them( Ottoman Hospitallers, Irish knights or Religious Orders etc.)
-Updated Bohemia,Sweden,Venice,Sicily Longbowman units with Ambrox bowmans.

Medieval Age(Fictional) v0.1 Changelog:
-initial release

further reserved

Sweet! I will give it a go this weekend. I am a big fan of the Middle Ages and it always turns me on to see new additions of mods that deal with my favourite period! Keep it up!

Just wondering does the scenario include the New world or no? Never mind that question checked your info page again and found answer. Anyways I think this mod could go far in the long run since we have no major medieval mods these days. If I am mistaken someone give an example of one.

Thank you guys for the quind(hope i spelled it right) words. Yeah the Scenario is totally missing due to the continuous addons i have in mind anoter civ possibly the last(for now - Nizari Branch) and a python ideea, plus im looking at FFH2 to see if i can bring another of their great feature.
Also i need to do something about the religions since in custom game you have to place them by hand for now otherwise you cant have religions in.
About the New World there are a must for me(once this becomes more stable) but I wont go into the Gunpowder units as I never liked the gunpowder age that made the old Pike-Sword-Archer(+) Cavalry style quind of obsolete, I think there are a lot of mods that focus on the passing from the medieval to renaissance era. Also lopaz I would suggest as you can see into my credits list another medieval mod : RFC Europe or HOTK (chinese history but still 5***** mod).

About the Marauder The_J its from the SDK of LadiesOgre it seems something with the merge of Jeckel tilespace caused it as I had to turn off also the Buildings tile space changer since Wonders would then cause a CTD too.

Well since it seems to have droped at the bottom of the pit near the other "corpses" i`ll double post and bring the current changelog, which may get some extra things but im not sure as im going through a bit rough times so the upload date is not certain yet. Anyways without anymore selfpitty here is the changelog:

Medieval Age (Fictional)0.2 Current Changelog:
-Labour Civics redone (Farmlands,Workshops,Mills,Fishermen,Rural Development).
-Catapult,Siege Workshop presquites Mathematics.
-High Walls now presquites Construction.
-Fixed a few text description.
-Reduced the TileSpace to -2 for forest,jungle and hills ( was -3).
-Made the Supply Unit,Explorer classes occupy no space.
-Nerfed the fort defense to 25%(from 40%) and Citadel to 40%(from 60%).
-Redone the Siege Weapons strengh, city bonuses.
-Fixed Regeneration promotion as it didnt work.
-Added FreeXPFromCombat into Promotions.
-Changed Elite promotion with +1 XP from Combat (was +75% XP )
-Meele Support promotion (Mounted Unit gets defense from tile, -1 movement, 25% strengh, +1 tile space).
-Frontal Assault promotion (mounted units do 50% collateral damage, max 2 units).
-Added new civ: Nizari Branch( uses Fatimid UnitArtStyle).
-Fatimid UnitArtStyle replaced with Bakuels Berber(North Africa)(Added adittional units, I guess sometimes the Unit
maker determines the number of UU a Civ has :p ).
-Expansive trait now boosts by 100% Siege Workshop creation.
-Changed Osman I traits to Organized and Expansive.
-Added iEnslavementChance(create a Slave on combat Victory) to Civics and UnitInfo.
-Unitclass Explorer limited to 5, Supply Train limited to 7 due to AI overbuilding.
-Increased AI weight for Baaracks, Archery Range, Stable, Siege Workshop, Military Encampment.
-Apostolic Palace: pointed to correct button, gives 2 free spys, Requires Christianity civic to be Full Member( here I need to fix that less inspired feature of Fatimid declaring war on Ottoman cause they got a Christian city in Spain).
-Christian Cathedral allows 1 Spy into Cities.
-Added Slavery, Crusade civics to Legal.
-Added PrereqReligion,bPrereqWar, PrereqCivilization to Civics.
-Religion Civics Redone ( Christianity, Islam, Pagan, Buddhist).
-Techs added: Fortification(moved castle at this tech and a wonder).
-Convert/CreatefromCombat tags added to UnitsInfo. iCombatInsideCulturalBorder and Invisible tags to Promotions.
-Added Homeland ( +20% strengh inside cultural border) and Ambush ( unit is invisible while in forest/jungle).
-Reworked( bonuses, names, abilities) various units ( English Longbowman does 1 collateral unit now,
Chevalier does 1 collateral unit, Voievod(bulgar maceman) will get ambush promotion etc. forgot the rest :p)
-Banned units from countrys which wouldnt have anything to do with them( Ottoman Hospitallers, Irish knights or Religious Orders etc.)
- Added Temple Improvement which Spawns unit 5% chance per turn ( ofc added tag to improvement with SPAWN_UNIT) so this is the start for a MesoAmerican civ maybe the Aztecs( I got an idee about how to not make them spam this improvement havent tested it yet to see how the ai handles it though).

What I want to work on next is the Traits, (unfortunately I`ve encountered errors due to me not knowing more than reading the language) since most of the European Civs look one and the same, but I aint giving up yet, at least thats what I hope:p

congratulation for this mod, i just take a quick try for now, but what i have seen it´s more than one match worth:goodjob: But there is also still some work to do, or? Please go on.

Did you make the City Ballista by your self? I never had seen it before!

Oops I guess I forgot the Credits for that it was made by Walter Hawkwood if im not mistaking will x2 check after i post and edit the credits. Well there still is as far as im concern a lot of work to do im still missing Scenario, Aztecs, Mayans, an american Indian Tribe(havent bothered with which one for now) also those European Countrys feel too much the same especially the minors so I want to go into their history once more and see what more uniquenes I can bring.
Well if you wait with the download I`ll upload version 0.2 today ( a few hours) as im currently adding the Longbowman (Ambrox bowman) to Sweden,Bohemia,Venice,Sicily and I`ll upload after, if you can wait that is so you wont have to download the 100 MB twice.

EDIT: Yeah a goal is also to keep it into Custom Maps Compatibility because 90% of my testing is a random map :p

EDIT2: here it is the City Ballista i was right about the author: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11094

EDIT3: finally 1st post is updated with the new version, filefront kept crashing last night and i couldnt upload it.

I just reinstalled Civ 4 earlier this week to give this mod a try. I’m glad to finally see a new medieval mod finally coming out for civilization 4, MEM II for Civ 3 was my favorite, and without an equivalent of it for 4 I just never got into it as much. I played for about 300 turns the past couple of nights on a huge map of Europe, and it looks very promising so far, can’t wait to see what the complete version will look like.

Couple of bugs I did notice, at the beginning there are no warrior/default first military unit just supply trains, this caused the barbarians to immediately spawn archers and spearmen right away and with raging barbarians on, wiped out all the civs in eastern Europe (almost half of the 25 civs I included) in my game by turn 200, even with raging barbarians turned off I found the AI struggled big time since the barbarians basically had an early advantage over any civ.

The second is that stables don’t seem to be working right; I am unable to make any of the cavalry armies even with stables and the correct resources. I realize this is in alpha, so you may be aware of these bugs already but just in case, I thought I would mention them since they are the only main problems I see so far from being able to play it as is, great job so far.

Actually I am glad you mentioned these problems its absolutely normal ;).
Now for the first thing I noticed it too, this problem appears due to the fact that the AI prefers other buildings over barracks or archery range so im thinking of giving them as starting buldingclass Barrack and Archery Range so in the capital they can make military units from the start.
The second issue I never had and I played over 30 games. Are you sure you had the Stable build, have horses, have iron(hvy Cavalry), Military Encampment(Knights), what country are you playing? If its Irish theyre cavalry has been reduced to chariot and a hvy cavalry but still they are there. Waiting for your reply and thanks for the feedback

Figured out the problem, it is a little of both of your suggestions. Apparently light cavalry is the first available unit for the Byzantine Empire, and second I didn't realize I needed both stirrup, and metal casting, though that makes sense. I was thrown off by the fact that they don't have chariots and they are basically Romans, but yeah stables are working right, no problems there.

Going to be playing a bit more of it this week on my next day off, maybe on a smaller map so the barbarians have less places to swarm, its a nice added nuisance, and they should be tough since it starts during the dark ages, but the outlining AI's like Russia, The Golden Horde, and even the Fatimid with a clear north Africa to the west of them, get annihilated. Of course this is with me placing them near their historic areas so you can imagine the vast wilderness of barbarian spawning in those spots.

Yeah almost none of the countrys have chariots due to the fact that they quind of gotten absolete by the medieval time and im glad it wasnt a bug :) .
About the location they start yes unless you give them a bit more cityes and cultural borders they get overwhelmed i was thinking about a building that would give them hammers and food from desert (for the arab countrys) so theyre cities wont be half wasted plots, just like the viking get hammers(from theyre dockyard), also to counter that barbarian spawn you could try the small europe map or go to the ....Mods\Medieval Age\Assets\XML/GlobalDefines and edit there
MIN_BARBARIAN_STARTING_DISTANCE to a bigger number which will cause them to spam less closer. (i hope im right about this xml change :p)

hello. it compliments for your optimal job. I have installed the MOD and it appeals to me, but I have a problem: I do not succeed to read no word, or nell' start that during the game. the images of the description appear me only. perhaps I am not able. you can explain to me like resolving? I would want indeed to play to your MOD

hello. it compliments for your optimal job. I have installed the MOD and it appeals to me, but I have a problem: I do not succeed to read no word, or nell' start that during the game. the images of the description appear me only. perhaps I am not able. you can explain to me like resolving? I would want indeed to play to your MOD
I am honestly confused could you explain again please, so I can help you.

I will definitely be following this mod, looks very nice.

Castor, I was wondering about the code for the 'ambush' promo, haven't seen that done before. Is that in the SDK? You planning on releasing any of the SDK files also or do you know another mod that has a similar function with SDK files available? Wanted to see how that is done. Thanks.

If your default language is not english, you should change it, because i guess only english is supported here ;).

If your default language is not english, you should change it, because i guess only english is supported here ;).
Thank you The_J, now that I saw your point and read his post again I should have realised what he meant, but I failed, sorry barbone.

Civilicious: Like I stated around my posts and opening I aint a creator im just a "stealer" when it comes to Python,SDK so yes the ambush promotion has been ripped from another mod, more precisley HOTK but since you requested I`ll upload the SDK tommorow as soon as I can get my main computer to start, its harddisk is dieing and its like a ritual to manage and get it started for another tens of minutes so I can squeeze info out of it before it fatal crashes again.

EDIT:SDK Source Code

thanks for the explanation. my copy of civilization is only Italian but creed is not that the solution. I have installed others mod in English language and read the text of the game well. I am not absolutely in a position to resolving. sin: to me it appeals to a lot the period middle age

Top Bottom