Mega Mod

:D Next version is going to be really awesome. If I can get food transfer up and running I can then get city specialization up. So rather than a bunch of cheap weak buildings, there'll be a bunch of strong expensive buildings.

did you do something to the diplomacy? I was playing version 18 with no hitches, but noticed that you updated it 2 tmies since I had download v18, so I deleted 18, and downloaded 20. Now, I can't get anyone to accept open borders...and no matter what I do (throw money at them, etc...), they won't accept any diplomatic overtures. Just wondering. Unfortuneately, I'll have to disable Mega Mod until something changes, which really, really sucks since yours is the only Rules Mod I play with. Everyone else's seemed rather cheesy and hacked together, and yours was really thought out. Before I disable the mod, I'm going to disable the others I was using at the same time. With v18, there wasn't ANY compatibility problems, either. Of course, I was using terrain mods, and unit upgrade modifications, so there wasn't any conflicts. I'll let you know asap, like within 15 min of posting this, if anything changes by disabling other mods first. I REALLY, REALLY like this one, though.

Ah yeah, I changed the gold value, so gold is worth more to the A.I. Currently it's 29 gold for open borders, and about 120 for luxuries. I overshot what I wanted a bit, so it'll be upped a bit next version. But are you saying they won't even accept open borders for open borders? If that's true something messed up. There might be a conflict somewhere, or something I missed.

Edit: Oh misread what you said, you're trying to buy open borders and it's not working. It should actually be easier. There must be something wrong. I'll check it out.

yeah, they wouldn't even accept any open borders even when the AI was the one offering it. I'm playing right now...I've disabled all the other mods to see what's up...and did you amp the power of barbarians, or lower the players ability against them? I can't even use a scout, cuz they simply come out of their ecampments and kill the scout right off. I'll let you know about the diplomacy as soon as I come across another civ. (Just started playing a new game.)

OH, and where in the world did you come up with the idea for requiring "talents" for archers? And what are they?

It's just the scouts actually, I made them cheap but expendable. It's hard to make them cheap without making them withstand a shot from barbarians, or peopel would prefer them to warriors.

As for talent, it is a strategic resource just like iron or horses. At the moment, it has a placeholder icon as fish lol and uses the iron's graphics on the map, but I'm going to start working on some icons soon. Basically the idea was to limit archers but increase their power, for a more balanced army approach.

Anyways, I'm playtesting a game as we speak.

yeah, they wouldn't even accept any open borders even when the AI was the one offering it. I'm playing right now...I've disabled all the other mods to see what's up...and did you amp the power of barbarians, or lower the players ability against them? I can't even use a scout, cuz they simply come out of their ecampments and kill the scout right off. I'll let you know about the diplomacy as soon as I come across another civ. (Just started playing a new game.)

I just was able to get the honor policy, and even with that (which usually gives defense bonus against barbarians, or something akin to being able to beat them easier) my scout STILL died. No use having one if they're just gonna bite the big one.

Well, I just bought some open borders for 30 gold after getting writing. Which mods were you using?

Edit: As for scouts, I'll fix it so they can survive one hit in forests/hills for next version. Next version might be as long as a week and a half, though, as the patch is going screw everything up for all the mods for a few days.

It's just the scouts actually, I made them cheap but expendable. It's hard to make them cheap without making them withstand a shot from barbarians, or peopel would prefer them to warriors.

As for talent, it is a strategic resource just like iron or horses. At the moment, it has a placeholder icon as fish lol and uses the iron's graphics on the map, but I'm going to start working on some icons soon. Basically the idea was to limit archers but increase their power, for a more balanced army approach.

Anyways, I'm playtesting a game as we speak.

ok, gotcha. I've come across China finally, and she won't accept open borders...going to get a little more coin and see if I can bribe my way in.

ok, I have 220 coins, and SHE offered open borders. I went to accept, then she denied. Odd.

I just opened the diplomacy dialogue, and it says she's afraid...never seen that before. Maybe that's why.

Hrm... that's really weird, because I tried again and got an open borders for open borders. You're using only v20 with no other mods? Can you send me a save game?

well, ok...never mind. she took the money and ran. I think it's all good. If I run into anymore problems, I'll let you know. Thanks SO much for the hard work; really looking forward to the new graphics you're working on. Adios!

Hrm... that's really weird, because I tried again and got an open borders for open borders. You're using only v20 with no other mods? Can you send me a save game?

I believe it's because she was afraid...I'm playing Ghangis Khan, too, so it kind of makes sense. So, we're good.

Here is a couple of suggestions concerning fort modifications:

Allow ships to enter forts. This allows me to strategically place forts next to cities so that my ships can pass from inland seas/lakes to the ocean and to utilize cities and placed in narrow 2-3 tile peninsulas to allow my ships to move quickly from one side or another.

If possible, Civs that I have open border agreements with should never be able to enter my forts. With this rule, I would have access to these shortcuts, but other civs would not and I can build a forts in narrow mountain pass (or similar areas) and not worry about my neighbor sending his settlers through to encroach on my future land acquisitions.

Thanks for a great mod.
Randell

That would be some really funky coding to get ships to believe they were in coast tiles while traveling through forts. Also, this would probably be a total gamebreaker. Why not just spam forts across the map through mountain ranges to create canals for easy ship bombards?

or add canal as another "improvement"(like roads/ railroads) that boats can travel through i would get this mod just for that, even though im getting it anyway
EDIT: once i figure out why i cant download it because in game mod browser cant connect to download it got it

Well, canal's are a little out of my league at the moment. I'll see what I can do once I get the full sdk. Even still it'd be hard to balance, as you could make unrealistically large moats filled with boats for your land. If I'm going to make canal's it'd take lots of gold to build, so it'd be used more for extreme cases of land bridging, like the panama canal.

well i said it more as a joke (though i was serious about it being awesome idea id it could be balanced) its great to know that your actually listening and thinking about it

Well you could put a 5 gpt maintenance cost on canal tiles. Pretty sure no one will ever spam them in that case.

Top Bottom