Memory-fix by Harkonnen is out!

actually let me take back what I wrote, seems your tip works for me for now, after the game crashed earlier it was still somehow hogging resources so when i opened the game again with the new settings u wrote there where 2 games running if u know what i mean, right now it seems to work so i hope ti stays like this throughout the game.

Again thanks!

AMD 1800+
1280MB RAM
Nvidia geforce 6200 256MB

Insane mode (180) enabled me to scroll the map in a Massive save game i previously wasn't able to finish :D, Game is ending turns WHEN I WANT THEM TO!!! Running AA2 and all else on maximum settings

VERYVERYVERYVERYVERY happy with this improvement :crazyeye: :goodjob:

im having a very slight problem with your patch, it works fine without the patch but when i load the patch and put your patch on a very werid thing happens. in the game when i discover a new technology it dosent come up with the box with the technology and that guy saying a quote dosent appear either.

do u know a way to fix this.

Ok I've tried to disable Insane mode and Vid_mem_usage to 32 and now in diplomacy the others leaders have all their pieces :lol: . And there is no change in performance than before disabling Insane Mode. For now in the beginning of my game I can play with graphic to Medium with no lag. I will see in later game what is going.

My spec
Windows 2000 SP4
Civilization 1.09 with Harkonnen memory Patch
AMD Athlon 1800+
256 MB system Memory DDR 266MHZ
MSI Geforce3 TI200 64MB video Memory
2048 MB for paging files

A little swap, but not too much. A great improvement since that before the 1.09 patch and harkonnen patch, with low graphic, the beginning of the game were very slow on scroll and opening the advisor display take eternity.

Thanks again Harkonnen I enjoy Civ4 more than ever... ;)

Now that my test are done the Roman will see that my greek is here to stay.:king:

Hi Harkonnen,

You wrote, "Please check this thread from something like page 17. I think you might have AGP off. Just your video memory size shouldn't cause such trouble."

I have an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe mother board and a Radeon 9800 pro 256mb video card. The mb manual says it supports 8X AGP. I have searched through the BIOS options and found settings to change the apperture size and to overclock AGP. There is no place to disable AGP or change AGP from off to 1X, 4X or 8X in the BIOS that I can see. In ATI catalyst control centre, SMARTGART shows AGP off. Every time I change the slide bar to 4X or 8X, it asks to reboot the computer to run some tests. The computer reboots, and when I check SMARTGART it still shows set to off. Would this be causing the problem of CIV 4 crashing to desktop when zooming out to global view using your patch? If so would you or anyone have any ideas how to set AGP to 8X and have the pc keep this setting?

Thanks so much for your help,
lolmeup

From Harkonnen.ini file:

;2. High graphics settings (especially textures)
; video_memory + agp_apperture_size - 120

So if I have 256MB of memory on my graphics card, and the AGP aperture is set to 256 MB, I would set the vid_mem_usage to 256 + 256 - 120 = 392? Is this correct?

alexpro14 said:
im having a very slight problem with your patch, it works fine without the patch but when i load the patch and put your patch on a very werid thing happens. in the game when i discover a new technology it dosent come up with the box with the technology and that guy saying a quote dosent appear either.

do u know a way to fix this.

You may have inadvertantly turned off the movies. With movies turned off, you no longer get a pop-up when you discover a new technology. So go into your .ini file and the options menu and make sure that the movies are turned "on".

lolmeup said:
If so would you or anyone have any ideas how to set AGP to 8X and have the pc keep this setting?

Have you installed the chipset drivers? It could be a problem that you are using an ATi graphics card with a motherboard using an nVidia chipset - but I am not sure about that.

Three_Crowns said:
Have you installed the chipset drivers? It could be a problem that you are using an ATi graphics card with a motherboard using an nVidia chipset - but I am not sure about that.

When I installed windows XP, I updated any drivers in device manager with a '?' by inserting the disk that came with my mb and selecting update driver in device manager. Windows seemed to find the right drivers and updated automatically. There are no devices with '!' or '?' in device manager. Should I have installed these drivers differently?

lolmeup: If you bought dell/gateway/hp you can go to their support site and get new updates for your specific model of computer...

I never used smartgart myself so can't answer that question.

lolmeup said:
When I installed windows XP, I updated any drivers in device manager with a '?' by inserting the disk that came with my mb and selecting update driver in device manager. Windows seemed to find the right drivers and updated automatically. There are no devices with '!' or '?' in device manager. Should I have installed these drivers differently?

I do not believe that the chipset drivers are normally installed in that way. You can search the disk for a chipset driver or download the latest version from the ASUS site. If you are in doubt, I can try and help you find the right version. Are you using the normal XP version or the 64bit version? What BIOS version are you using?

Harky

If you want a UK based mirror, let me know - no problem

Regards
Zy

Ive been visiting the forums here for about 3 years, and never really spoke up at all, but I had to after this!
Hark you did a marvelous job with this patch.
The computer I use is
1.3 GHZ Celeron Pentium Processor (HP computer)
512 MB SDRAM
64 MB Ge-Force 2 Video Card

I started okay with the 1.09 patch but when I got to about the 1800's I had the occasional lock-ups, take so long in moving across the board, load times 5 minutes or longer..and the space between mine the the opponents moves were also 2-4 minutes a turn. My computer isnt as powerful or has a huge vid card as many I see, but let me tell you, CIV4 plays like a charm now.
I set the settings in the hark.ini to
Vid=32
insane mode=1
this not only took care of the freezing but the game runs faster and smoother than ever. I just might go and buy that new video card like I was going to, Ill just wait for Christmas!
When I had it initally set at 100 the lanscape colors were way off, then I adjusted ot to 80, then 40, and noticed significatly better results everytime.
Finally at the 32 setting BINGO! Now it runs smooth, all graphics perfect, no audio choppiness (I dont know how but Im sure you do), wonder movies perfect and it runs great!!
Hope this might help someone else using the same settings as I on a lesser system...also I do play it in non-fullscreen mode...I can live with it like that, and I have all my res. set to Medium. Also I am on the HUGE map.
Thanks again Hark for your hard work!

Rob & Fred.....
THE AMAZING ARRINGTON BROS

Altough I haven't posted much of anything in these forums for years, I just had to come here and thank you for this patch Harkonnen :goodjob:

While my game ran pretty good before I applied your fix, there's still a very noticable improvement after applying it, especially when I exit the game - that used to take several minutes before!

Again, thank you for all your hard work :)

Harkonnen said:

Lary33
Double-clicking savegames (including autosaves) is as minor bug with current version of the fix; it is solved, but not yet available for download while I work on other issues. Just start the game (civ4 shortcut) and click 'Load Game' from game's menu, then select your last autosave FROM GAME MENU and it should work.

[/i]

Harkonnen, thanks for info but I am not able to load autosave from game menu. Franky speaking also in the past I wasn't able to open autosave from game menu. Maybe you know why?

WOW!! Harkonnen thanks man!!!

I cant change my graphic apature from 64 to 32 (not in my bios) but this little patch seems to have worked! no black terrain or weird graphic screw ups, at least not yet after 2 hours of playing....

ITs odd that firaxis cant make a game without bugs and it takes a fan to fix the screw ups...

But anyways good work man, I hope you have some wicked job bebugging game code that pays huge cash!!!!!

Three_Crowns said:
I do not believe that the chipset drivers are normally installed in that way. You can search the disk for a chipset driver or download the latest version from the ASUS site. If you are in doubt, I can try and help you find the right version. Are you using the normal XP version or the 64bit version? What BIOS version are you using?

Thanks to Harkonnen, Three_Crowns and everyone who tries to help here. After all the controversy surrounding CIV4 and it's many bugs, I am thankfull for 3 things:
- I have discovered this forum and the enthusiastic people who post here
- the ironic spectacle of one person who seems to have helped so many people while the team of engineers who created this game, (to my knowledge) have not [isn't it an amazing time we live in, everyone?]
- that I have had AGP off for the past year and a half!

Harkonnen, your patch seems to work for me, and you look to be absolutely correct about the zoom to globe crash problem. Catalyst Control Centre was showing AGP off and could not be corrected. I had installed chipset drivers through windows without installing from mother board CD program after last c: format.
After installing chipset drivers through CD install program, I now:
- have a 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon pointing to 'WDC WD2000JD-00GBB0', described as my hard disk (that I wish was not there or could be turned off)
- see Catalyst Control Centre automatically set AGP at 8X
- can play Civ 4 like eveyone esle who has benefitted from your patch, no more zoom crash

My system needs motherboard chipset drivers to be installed through the manufacturer's install program and not just through Windows XP.

really pleased, thankful and impressed,
lolmeup

I have a Geforce Mx 440 64 MB Video Card.
What should I set as my video mem usage?
Insane Mode=1
And I dont play in windowed mode because i cannot use mouse to move around the map.
Anyways, I get slow down (worse than before applying Harko's patch) around theyear 2000... I restart the game and can play for probably another 15 minute before getting the slow down.

the other specs are 512 MB RAm, 2.6 Ghz processor.
thanks

Hello,

Since I've downloaded this, I get the following error message:

Civilization4.e.exe has generated an error and will be closed by Windows..etc.

I have a Pentium M, 1gb ram.

What should I do??

Thanks

Randy
rbarning@yahoo.com

Top Bottom