Military advice requested.

Ringo Kid

Prince
In the game, see attached map, I am New Jersey (yellow) - at war with France and Japan. Its a little annoying because its going in dribs and drabs, they send a few armor units into my territory, I destroy them and send a few into enemy territory, they damage them, I bring them home to heal, etc.

I would like some ideas as to how to decisively win the war. For example should I finish off Japan (Green) who is very weak and no real threat, and concentrate on France, or should I ignore them and attack France (Pink)?

Any suggestions appreciated. Vanilla Civ, Monarch, the AI is a bit ahead in tech but I am much stronger in production and size. I disabled the Space and Diplo victories in this game, just for a change as I usually go for the Space victory.

(I have the strongest culture by a wide margin, so conquering France may trigger a cultural victory, possibly)

I have a stack of about a dozen Modern Armor /Mech Infantry/2 Modern Armor Armies just below the southern border of the map near Avignon.

Attachments

• Japan.JPG
    Japan.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 435
i would recommend going for Japan first. If you conquer their lands you will be able to reinforce the lines close to the French faster.
Have you got any artillery? they work wonders when capturing cities.
You have a much bigger territory than the French so in the end you will win the war. I you just conquer Japan on your way (they are not much trouble anyway) the victory is certain to you :)

Theoden

Ringo Kid said:
In the game, see attached map, I am New Jersey (yellow) - at war with France and Japan. Its a little annoying because its going in dribs and drabs, they send a few armor units into my territory, I destroy them and send a few into enemy territory, they damage them, I bring them home to heal, etc.
I think you're learning one lesson the hard way... fighting piecemeal isn't going to get it done. I suggest you either attack Japan with suffiicient force to take cities, or fight within your borders and kill the Japanese interlopers until he doesn't have anything else to send after you... Then you could go after him in earnest.

Having said all that... what's your goal in this war? Do you want to sue for peace and build a spaceship? Or do you want to win by domination/conquest?

If you don't wan't to win by domination/conquest/culture, try razing cities instead of capturing them. Just burn 'em to the ground. Do that a couple of times and the AI will usually want peace.

Ringo Kid said:
its going in dribs and drabs, they send a few armor units into my territory, I destroy them and send a few into enemy territory, they damage them, I bring them home to heal, etc. .
Scoutscout's right. Dribs and drabs isn't the way to win a war. It is a great way to learn the effects of War Weariness, though. ;) You need to suck it up, build a bunch of your best offensive units plus a lot of artillery or bombers and then really go to war.
I have a stack of about a dozen Modern Armor /Mech Infantry/2 Modern Armor Armies just below the southern border of the map near Avignon.
That's a good start. Another stack or two like that plus some artillery and you'll be ready to go.

Pick one of your weaker enemies and go after them.

Yes, I do have a large number of artillery and bombers to work with. France has a large air Force, Japan does not.

I started out the game trying to go for a cultural win, but I must not understand the rules somehow, my culture is of 170,000 but still no cultural victory. Maybe its not twice the second culture. I don know if there is a way to get the exact number for that. On the histograph it looks like have twice the culture of the nearest rival, France. Scorewise I am 1,200 points ahead of France, so I will win by score if nothing else. I would like to do a cultural, as that is the only kind I have never done.

I have just razed a French city. My large offensive stack is "trapped" down there because France suddenly joined England in an alliance against me , after just recently agreeing to a Right of Passage.

Another thing I have never seen before, an Indian interceptor shot down a French bomber that tried to attack MY stack. That was wierd.

Here's another suggestion. I notice you have highly corrupt cities building units. For example, Kagoshima will never finish its modern armor. Either rush some important buildings, rush units, build workers, or build wealth.

Ringo Kid said:
Another thing I have never seen before, an Indian interceptor shot down a French bomber that tried to attack MY stack. That was wierd.
That sounds like an opportunity - India is at war with France. I bet Ghandi's attitude is "polite" or better (because you've been killing his enemy) and I bet he'd jump at a Military Alliance versus France.

Thanks for the tips, attacking Japan was the way I went, because when I razed a French city with my "trapped" stack, the French made an offer of peace, and then on the next turn ROP. So I was able to put all those forces together, and the Japanese are now down to the last two cities.

Alliance with purple to destroy Japan. first take their small cities, then build tons of artillery and take their cities one by one.

Ringo Kid said:
I started out the game trying to go for a cultural win, but I must not understand the rules somehow, my culture is of 170,000 but still no cultural victory. Maybe its not twice the second culture. I don know if there is a way to get the exact number for that. On the histograph it looks like have twice the culture of the nearest rival, France. Scorewise I am 1,200 points ahead of France, so I will win by score if nothing else. I would like to do a cultural, as that is the only kind I have never done.

The simple and easy way to find out how much culture the other civs have is to go to the utilities forum and download either Dianthus's Mapstat (part of CRP Suite) or Ainwood's CivAssist.

bouncelot said:
The simple and easy way to find out how much culture the other civs have is to go to the utilities forum and download either Dianthus's Mapstat (part of CRP Suite) or Ainwood's CivAssist.

Hey, thanks-great programs- I downloaded both of those. Turns out that France has 96k culture, and I have 183k - so in a few turns I will likely hit the cultural victory.

TimBentley said:
Here's another suggestion. I notice you have highly corrupt cities building units. For example, Kagoshima will never finish its modern armor. Either rush some important buildings, rush units, build workers, or build wealth.

Yes, of course you are right about that. I am not the best micro-manager, so I mostly let the governor build whatever it wants during war, but watch the production more carefully when peace breaks out. I have over a hundred cities in this game, would just be no fun to manage all of them every turn.

I finished off the last two Japanese cities, and won the game by a Cultural Victory in 2003. Question: I noticed that other Civs were always happy to give me Right of Passage areements, even when they were Furious or just after a peace treaty was declared. . Why would that be? Large territory , admiring the culture of New Jersey (Egypt) ? Both?

ROP's always on the table unless you've started a war with units inside enemy territory. That's the only thing that can remove ROP as an option, I think.

Renata

Renata said:
ROP's always on the table unless you've started a war with units inside enemy territory. That's the only thing that can remove ROP as an option, I think.

Renata

In a recent game, while playing as the Vikings, I was way behind the Russians (my only real rival), so in desperation I violated an ROP by attacking and razing six major coastal cities simultaneously with Beserks (It worked a treat, totally wrecked their economy). But it ruined my rep, right? Within 40 turns, while allied against the Germans, they agreed to another ROP. Couldn't resist it.......

Top Bottom