Military buildings (new bonuses)

Montov

King
Currently you have the following military buildings:
- Barracks (15XP)
- Armory (15XP, needs Barracks)
- Military Academy (15XP, needs Barracks)
- Arsenal (15% production land units, needs Military Academy)

These buildings are useless, except for the early and cheap Barracks. A couple of XP is maybe nice for the first promotion, but paying 2/3 gold maintenance for a building in a time when you are not building a lot of units anymore is ridiculous.

I propose these new properties:
- Barracks (15XP)
- Armory (15XP + 15% Production land units, needs Barracks)
- Military Academy (receives 50% XP of Garrison, needs Armory)
- Arsenal (11HP land units, needs Military Academy)

Especially around and after Military Academy, you tend to upgrade most of you units and not build new units. With these changes, there's a better choice between upgrading a building new units.

Also, this new Military Academy reflects a true learning facility by giving new land units 50% of the XP of the Garrison, which adds game-play choice of having a super experienced unit fighting, or back home to train more. An Arsenal reflects the addition of weapons and ammo. Both provide new concepts to civ, which is never bad.

Another options I've been thinking about:
Military Academy: +1XP per turn for garrisoned unit.
Arsenal: +33% Production land units when Great General is garrison

What do you think would be the best way to make the military building viable again?

I agree that the buildings could use a small boost. I also like your propositions.

I think 1 xp per turn is too powerfull, especially on marathon speed.

I have seen other suggestions that some of the later buildings also offer xp to non-land units.

Another way could be to give a boost to Heroic epic if all cities have Armories...

Perhaps a bonus could be +1 great general point per turn?

These choices seem to make sense, but I think the problem might lie in the ease with which you can get experience in the field. The AI is such that you can milk it without your units dying at all. You don't need to produce many new units, so you don't need to invest so heavily in multiple buildings for the quality of those units. TBH, the problem may also lie in 1upt. That limits the number of units more than AI incompetency does, and there's no point in investing so heavily in these buildings when a city might only produce 4 or 5 units max, especially given the ease of gaining experience in the field.

Top Bottom