Military history, if any?

What background do you have with military service (of any country)?

• I have never served, and never will of my own volition.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I have never served, but will likely do so at some point in the future.

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I am currently serving, whether Active Duty or Reserves.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • I served at some point in the past.

• I retired from the military.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I am unable (for whatever reason) to serve in the military

• Military? Who needs that when we have the services of radioactive monkeys?

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have never served, but only because it was never necessary.

Votes: 12 20.7%

• Total voters

ShiplordAtvar

Texan by the grace of God
Select the appropriate options to mark if you've served, if you haven't and don't plan to, if you haven't and do plan to, you can't serve, etc.

Discuss as appropriate.

Originally posted by Andrewz
This is a warmongering poll.

I'm simply curious about the backgrounds of my fellow forum dwellers.

If my intentions were war-mongering, I would have said so explicitly (eg "War War War Death to all who aren't American").

If my intentions were peace-mongering, I would have said so explicitly (eg "Let's gather to protest those evil AmeriKKKan imperialists and have a human blockade of their bases").

I'm simply curious. That's all. No hidden agenda or anything. No harm or malice towards anyone.

I considered joining up when we went to war with the Taliban. I ultimately decided against it because I'm a flabby, out-of-shape weakling who would never survive basic. Leave the military to those who are fit to serve.

I was in ROTC for two semesters of high school, but that doesn't really count as having served.

Edit: First serious response! Yay!

My dad served in the 60s. He didn't like it very much. He would have had my head on a platter if I had joined (even though he is a Republican and a conservative). I would join if I felt that the country was under some direct threat and there was no chance that I would be used as cannon fodder for some politician's agenda. They probably wouldn't take me though.

I am currently serving in the Swiss Army. Not out of my free will though :(

I have never served. It has simply not been my lot in life. I have many friends and relations in the military, and give the armed forces a great deal of regard.

10 months as infantry squadleader in the Swedish army. 7 years ago now.

Oh...I'm adding never have served and it is unlikely I will be asked to.

I was 'drafted' in 1992 for regular military service duty and put into the Royal Dutch Army under number 730517152.

I managed to change that position to 'regular duty with special delay', which means that the miltary wouldn't bother to call me during university years.

A few years after, military service duty was abolshed, due to a lack of enemies / communists.

Worked the past year as a civilian in the S&T area of the defence organisation. Am considering the option of joining in the future, but it is one option of many.

Have not served yet. Getting information about enlisting, while my mom while approving of whatever my decision will be, kinda freaking out :lol:. I'm wanting to be a pilot, Army or Navy, but infantry will suit me just fine. That mainly my only hold-up, what i would want to do in the military, gotta be close to the action thats for sure.
I do have two close friends in the military, one's a combat medic in the army and another's a driver in the marines, he's getting deployed with 40,000 others to Baghdad on January 3rd i believe.
Luckily he doesn't drive a humvee but a big ass ammo, fuel ect... transporter. He pretty much described it as a 30 ton truck with tank armor. Tires are alot taller than me(6'3") so its a big machine, he doesn't have to worry about a roadside bomb unless its powerful enough to go thru the armor and ignite the fuel, ammo, rockets, or whatever he is hauling.
The combat medic just got back from training(he graduated from high school last may).

I havent served -yet- I might, or I might not, really depeends on if my country needs me (and if this whole debale with the stop loss thing gets a ruleing in favor of the troops)

Originally posted by The Chosen One
whats the stop loss thing?

Stop Loss (which I experienced as well in 1999-2000) freezes force retirement and separations. It keeps troops in the service beyond their contract obligations. :eek: This is quite contraversial.

I am currently in the Air Force Reserves -Inactive until July of '04.

I served Active Duty from 1996 to 2000.

--CK

I'm shipping to Marine Corps boot camp (San Diego) on 26 Jan.

*lame attempt at a joke*
KaeptnOvi - when you were in the Swiss army, did they issue you a knife? A Swiss army knife, by any chance?
*/lame attempt at a joke*

Haven't served yet (too young), but really want to fight in the Indian army.

Am a Kshatriya. Its in the blood :D

Will be applying for WOCS sometime in the coming year.

Top Bottom