Mini-NOTW IX: Carnival House

Ekolite

Deity
Night of the Werewolves

C
arnival House

You open your eyes slowly. Your limbs feel heavy and numb from the strong sedative which still courses through your veins. You blink, groggily, and look around. Bright lights burn your eyes, and you wince, shutting them tightly once more. For a while you sleep as the effects of sedation begin to ebb away. Suddenly, a loud voice booms into your room through a loud-speaker. You try to block it out, but the sharp voice bites into you, and it's impossible to ignore.

''Housemates!'' she says, voice artificially enhanced with powerful magic, ''Each of you are criminals!'' In the distant background, wild cheering can be heard, ''You are vile convicts who each deserve death!'' The cheering grows in volume ''And for many of you, death will come! Fortunately for you, our good Lord Perpentach is merciful and has offered each of you a chance to preserve your miserable lives. A game so to speak. For the next ten days you will live here, in Carnival House. On the tenth day, the Door to Freedom will be opened and those of you who still live will be freed without charge. However! There is a twist! Amongst your ranks are Agents of the good Lord himself who are tasked with Murder. If they are able to overwhelm the remaining Housemates by force of arms before the Door to Freedom is unlocked, they will be victorious and will not be charged, instead they will be free and will receive riches beyond their wildest dreams. Should they fail, and they are unable to overwhelm the other Housemates by this time they will remain in the House forever!''

What?

''The rules of the game are as follows. Every night, you must each nominate one person that you suspect to be an Agent of Perpentach. The housemate with the most votes will become 'the Mark'. If you fail to identify the Agents, they will have gathered sufficient strength to overwhelm and then only they shall go free. The rest of you shall be slain.''

''Know that the good Lord will be watching you at all times. Fail to impress at your peril!''

As suddenly as it first arrived, the voice, and the cheering, was cut off and Carnival House was plunged into silence. You ponder the meaning of her words. A game? What game? Your memory is hazy, thoughts spinning around you head. Convicts, did she say?

Slowly you get out of bed, and make your way out through the door. A strange site lies before your eyes, a high-ceilinged chamber dressed rather unconvincingly to look like a house. Furniture and walls painted brightly with the hallucinogenic colours typical of a Balseraph Carnival. Everywhere you look, strange mechanical eyes peer down at you, unblinking. You feel them boring into your very soul, and you feel naked before their harsh gaze. Towering at the far wall lies a huge wooden doorway, handles far too high to reach. The word ''Freedom'' is painted on in thick white lettering. A far smaller door lies adjacent with a sign reading ''Smithy'', it is locked. On a high podium at the other end of the room is a glass box, and inside, what looks like a carnival ticket decorated with butterflies. The box is sealed, and sports a bold figure, 8.

Gradually, the other housemates begin to emerge, each groggy and showing signs of the same treatment you had suffered. Who knew how long you've all laid in the drugged, undreaming sleep of sedation while the world flew past around you? The others start to explore, trying to make sense of the strange scene before them but each bear a look of confusion that matches your own to perfection.

You are anxious, agitated, as if something was screaming at you from deep within, but you mind is foggy with exhaustion and nothing makes any sense...

Did someone say Murder?

NOTW: Carnival House​

The Rules:

This is a game of the infamous NOTW series, and basic rules can be found in the NOTW Information Thread. Please do not join if you are inexperienced with the genre. Like any other game of it's kind, The Carnival House has a series of twists and turns where the rules are concerned and these are listed below;

1. Nomination.

Every night, all players must nominate one player by PM to me. A list of who voted for who will be provided the following morning. You may not discuss nominations in public (the thread). This means no saying who you're voting for, or plan to vote for in the future. There are no public executions, although items will be voted for publicly in the usual manner. In the event of a tie, the player with the greatest strength will act as tie-breaker. You must nominate every night. If you do not, you will have your strength permanently decreased by one, and it will count as a nomination against yourself. If it happens again you could be replaced. Abstention is not allowed for nominations, but you may abstain on item votes.

2. Tokens.

A small number of tokens will be added to the game each morning, as well as the tokens of anyone who was killed during the night. These will all be distributed amongst the living players at random. 3 Tokens can be exchanged for a lucky dip of items, in order to do so you must indicate your action in the thread. You will receive your item privately by PM in the following update. Tokens can also be used to buy the ''Ticket to Freedom''. The number of tokens each player has is listed in the OP of the game thread and will be public at all times. It is possible for tokens to be stolen.

3. Ticket to Freedom.

The ticket to freedom is a guarantee of freedom and protects you from Nomination. The holder of the ticket has their strength discounted for the purposes of Innocent/Agent overwhelmitude, but it will allow them to escape to freedom even if the rest of the Innocent team is overwhelmed, therefore obtaining victory. The ticket can be bought for eight tokens. The owner of the Ticket is public knowledge.

4. Abilities and Night Actions.

Not everyone has abilities, and those that do tend to relate to items. Items are the main source of night actions. Unless it says otherwise all items and abilities can be used an unlimited number of times and are performed at night. Only one night action may be used per night per player, but there are certain actions which act as exceptions. Agents may make their kill and use a night action on the same night. There are no ''perfect'' prophets, as in there is no character or item with the ability to reveal whether someone is innocent or an agent. Every time a kill is made, the killer (team regardless) will gain 1 strength unless stated otherwise. If the nominated player is of higher strength they will not be killed, and instead the player with the next most votes will be targetted. If this player is too strong then the next player is chosen and so on.

5. Victory.

This is your victory condition. All contestants must first survive, if you do not survive then you cannot win, even if the rest of your team does. Innocents will need to escape through the Door to Freedom, Agents will need to overwhelm the Innocents before the Door opens by having a higher total strength. Every time a player is killed, Perpentach will reveal whether they were an Agent or an Innocent.

6. Charge.

All of you have transgressed against the good Lord Perpentach in some way, and this is your crime. The reason you've ended up in Carnival House.

7. Strength:

In this game, for a number of reasons strength is particularly important. Especially individual strength. I would suggest to all the housemates to attempt to gather as much individual strength as possible. Strength can be increased by certain items. For the Agents to win, they must obtain a higher strength then the ''Innocent'' team by or before day 10. Strength also plays a key role in survival. In order for a character to successfully kill another one, they must have equal or greater strength then their target. If the nominated player is of higher strength they will not be killed, and instead the player with the next most votes will be targetted. If this player is too strong then the next player is chosen and so on. Every time a player, innocent or agent, successfully makes a kill, they gain one point of strength. In order to use hand-held weapons which provide strength, the player must have a base strength equal or greater to the strength provided. A housemate cannot own more then three items at any one time.

Every character also has a Personal Goal, an extra challenge.

In short, the major changes are:

- Players ''nominate'' privately during the night phase, but who nominated who will be revealed the next morning. Nomination is mandatory. Item votes are still public.
- Nominations may not be discussed in the thread.
- Surviving Innocents win if they reach day 10 and the Agents still haven't reached a higher total strength.
- Tokens can be used to purchase items, the number of Tokens each player has is public knowledge, Tokens are redistributed at random on death.
- Higher or equal (total) strength is needed to kill another player, players gain one strength after every successful kill.
- Ticket to Freedom can be bought which grants immunity from nominations.

Please note, this is for all intents and purposes a small-scale, real NOTW as opposed to a ''mini-NOTW'', which are far too mafialike for my elitist, snobbery ego ;). Updates and character PM's will have the same level of detail as real games, and I expect the same level of seriousness from players as in full-scale games.

There are 15 places available, but I will also be needing a couple of reserves.

Players - Characters - Tokens - Ticket of Freedom

Renata - The Painter - 0
Seon - The Magician - 2 (+1)
Nictel - The Dwarf - 3 (+1)
Catharsis - The Princess - 0
Love - The Old Man - 0 (-3)
Hell_Hound - The Healer - 3 (+4, -3)
Landlubber - The Sculptor - 3
Classical_hero - The Minor Angel - 0
Autolycus - The Missionary -0 (+1, -3)

The Dead

Spoiler :
Domination3000 (The Merchant) - Night 2 - Nominated
Choxorn (The Falconer) - Night 3 - Nominated
Civplayah (The Coinsmith) - Night 4 - Nominated
Remake20 (The Farmer) - Night 5 - Nominated
Krill (The Cultist) - Night 6 - Nominated
Pinman (TheToymaker) - Night 6 - Cause Unknown

Mememememe.

Now off to read the story. :p

Innage.

In. So the Ticket to Freedom also grants immunity from being night-killed, right? :p

Catharsis! You're back!

I'm in.

How long will the day/night cycle be? (provisional in, don't want to miss a place in this :))

The day/night cycle will be as usual. 48 hours for the day, 24 for the night.

Ah I just thought without the public discussion and voting for lynches it might not be as long.

Well I did consider 24/24, but trying to adjust the day/night cycle didn't go well for me last time. Although in fairness I think what I was trying to do before was 36/12 or something crazy.

Joining my first NotW thread. Let's all watch me crash and burn.

I'm getting a little bit more free time. In.

Top Bottom