Mini-review of Loffas's economic modmod

CreativeCaprine

Chieftain
Hello guys. Loffas made a small modmod for C2C, and asked me to test it and tell him what I think. I wrote a small review, and he's given me permission to post it.

So first of all, the modmod is in alpha. So there will likely come changes, and we should be gentle to it.

On of the biggest changes from regular C2C is how many buildings are autobuilt, in order to simulate private actors setting up shops, hunting camps etc. There are two way to view this. Either you'll like the more realistic economic model and how the automation makes the game easier and faster. Or if you like to micromanage and just have that feeling of building up your civilization, even at the expense of realism, then you're probably not gonna like the autobuild feature. Or you could feel some combination of the two. I felt both yes and no at this change, myself, Though I'm glad it's there for a different experience.

Another big change, perhaps a more important one, is that the economy has been reworked. Just like you don't take initiative to build shops, they do not bring you gold directly. Instead they produce commerce which you gain money from by taxing. While this is interesting, and makes it deeper to play, I ran into problems while playing. If you lower your research or any other such investments, the money you save up will be counted as "Tax", which has a monstrous unhappiness effect on cities(In my opinion far too strong). This can create a downward spiral where your unhappy citizens won't work, thus not producing gold, thus lowering your research investment and creating more tax. Luckily it's not very hard to fix, by for example setting your cities to build wealth for a while.

There is something I did not like about this, and that's the interpretation of investment as being opposite of taxes. In this modmod, if you put less than 100% investment in research(Or culture or espionage) that becomes tax, which makes your citizens unhappy due to being taxed. My interpretation is that Civilization models all of it, invested or not, as tax, and what you don't invest is what you save as liquid reserves.

Besides that I recommend checking this mod out. It's worth looking into and just might be for you.

Top Bottom