Missiles and Squadrons rebasing

Imperator Knoedel

Simperator Knoedel
It always bothers me that squadrons and missiles can jump from system to system and ship to ship and system to ship and ship to system pretty much instantly when other units have to crawl from tile to tile. Would it be possible to restrict the use of the rebasing mission so that the target has to be within the unit's range?

As it is now, the only way I know of restricting the rebasing is to make it so that a unit has to be present at the location of the missile or squadron to pick it up. The choice is a range of 0 or inifinity.

In CIV4SpecialUnitInfos.xml the fighter and missile special unit types are where you'd change it to make them range 0, by changing bCityLoad from 0 to 1. This blocks loading onto units at a range, but still allows movement from city to city.

In BtS missiles have this set to 1 which is why your subs and missile cruisers have to go back to a city to get some loaded, but fighters have it set to 0 so they can go to an aircraft carrier anywhere on the map.

Note that changing this for squadrons would make it much harder to move a squadron onto a starbase - you'd have to carry it there with a carrier to transfer it, assuming you can do unit to unit transfers when that vlaue is set to 1 (I don't remember if missiles can be moved between units in BtS). Likewise moving the missiles off of a starbase (if you are not using the game option that turns off starbase missile production) has the same difficulty.

As far as I know adding a range to rebasing would require DLL work since I don't think there is any Python that is called that could change it (no "canRebase" callback that I can see).

Did anyone ever figure out how to disable rebasing completely in XML?

I'd like to give that a try and see if the AI is still capable of properly using transports (I have seen them making good use of BattleCruisers, carrying fighters).

Did anyone ever figure out how to disable rebasing completely in XML?

I might be wrong, but I think that all air units can rebase and that the only thing you can do via XML is to limit it to cities and forts (i.e. disable direct rebasing to transports), but you cannot disable rebasing of air units to cities and forts via XML.

Top Bottom