[MOD] Antarctic Lands

Androrc the Orc

Emperor
Antarctic Lands 0.1

This is an early version of a mod I have been working on, Antarctic Lands. The mod's name is in homage to France Antarctique, a French colony in Guanabara Bay (where modern Rio de Janeiro is located), which has been included as a colonial civilization in this mod.

The objectives of the mod are not very different from my previous mod, Spread of Imperialism, but I decided to build a new mod from scratch, since I wanted to take out certain parts of it which I no longer thought should be in, like unit population sizes.

Antarctic Lands is set on a standard-sized Earth map, which uses an equirectangular projection, made by Matrix. In this mod European civilizations can have multiple colonial civilizations linked to them, as such colonial empires are more diverse, so that for instance, France has both New France and France Antarctique as it's colonial civilizations. Some of the features are discussed below, for the full change log, check the readme which comes with the mod.

Europe

South America, with France Antarctique and Brazil

Asia, with the Dutch East Indies and English East India

Trade (Europe Screen and etc.)
Trade has been changed somewhat; the Europe screen is now accessible to anyone, and instead of having different sets of prices for each European civilization, now there is only one set of prices for the Europe screen, and thus goods bought and sold by anyone in it affects prices for everyone. The idea is that instead of the Europe screen representing trade with a colonial master, it would now represent trade with a "European Market", in which anyone could partake, but in which commodities produced in Europe would naturally become cheaper, due to the proximity of Europe screen access plots for European cities and thus their commodities being sold in the screen more often. There is also a novelty in regards to Europe screen access - instead of being on the high seas, Europe access plots appear on the water plots adjacent to any European city, as well as on the city itself (Wagon Trains can access it also). The Africa and Asia screen were incorporated from KJ Jansson's Slavery Market mod, but changed to obey the same rules as the Europe screen - although not all plots in Africa and Asia have yet been readied for their respective screen access, only those in India, West Indonesia and East South Africa.

Technology and Research
Kailric's Inventor mod has been incorporated, but with a new tech tree being implemented. The tech tree is still in it's a very rough version of what it should be, and will be improved. Unfortunately, I could not incorporate the latest version of the Inventor mod, which has a beautiful technology advisor screen, so I incorporated an older version with some changes that was in Spread of Imperialism already. The research yield, instead of being produced by citizens dedicated to that task, is provided by educated citizens (such as Master Blacksmiths).

Multiple Professions per Building
I incorporated my modcomp, Multiple Professions per Building. Having also added the Wool yield (graphics from the Westward Ho mod), Cloth can now be produced in the Weaver's House, Weaver's Shop and Textile Mill buildings from both Wool or Cotton. Wool is produced in hills of any terrain type, excepting Tundra, Snow and Desert.

New Terrains
There are new terrain types from Reveilled's Origins mod, namely the ones existent in the original Colonization - Savannah, Prairie and Swamp.

Mineral Resource Deposits
Mineral resources, such as Iron Ore (previously Ore) and Silver now require having their "bonus" on the plot in order to be produceable. They have been placed throughout the map accordingly.

Game Speed
The "Normal" game speed has been changed to one season (3 months) per turn; the other speeds have been changed accordingly.

New Civilizations
A list of the civilizations added: Austria, Courland, Portugal, Prussia, Russia, Scotland, Sweden, Australia, Brazil, Dutch East Indies, English East India, France Antarctique, New Scotland, New Sweden, Russian America, Zululand

Know issues:
- Much of the map starts empty, such as large parts of Asia and Africa, and will have civilizations and cities added later.
- European civilizations as of now start with only free colonists in their cities and have no experts, as well as few buildings start built. This will be changed as appropriate.
- Although new terrains have been added, there are still parts of the map that need changing to the new terrain types, particularly parts of Africa to Savannah, and parts of North America to Prairie.
- Iron Ore deposits have been placed on Europe, China, Japan and Australia, but still need placing elsewhere, notably the Americas.
- Some leaders and civilizations don't have traits.
- As in vanilla, natives give their cities away too easily, due to colonial cultural expansion. Some European civilizations (Portugal and the Netherlands) are doing this as well; when I find a way to prevent civilizations from giving away their cities for free, I will do so.
- Victory conditions will have to be reworked, with the parent civilizations placed on the map.

Download Antarctic Lands 0.1

Credits
- Thanks to Kailric and KJ Jansson for Civ4Col modding help.
- Thanks to Trachmyr for the content from his Abandon mod.
- Thanks to drjest2000 for the content from his Modular Courland and ColGold mods.
- Thanks to jaldaen for content from his Portugal mod.
- Thanks to CivLucas for content from his The East Indies mod.
- Thanks to Matrix for making his Equirectangular Standard Earth map.
- Thanks to charle88 for the British General, Dutch General and French General leaderheads.
- Thanks to PiMan for the Australian civilization and leaders.
- Thanks to Skymen for the Fur Trader trait for Baranov and Savannah texture from his Quest and Glory.
- Thanks to Reveilled for the Colonization 1 terrains (Savannah, etc.).
- Thanks to Kailric for the Inventor mod.
- Thanks to KJ Jansson for the Slavery Market mod.
- Thanks to Dom Pedro II for his original Triangle Trade mod on which Slavery Market is based on.
- Thanks to koma13 for the solution to units sailing back from Europe to land plots not working, as present in his Home Cities on Map modmod for Mare Nostrum.
- Thanks to Gurra09 for the Austria-Hungary BTS mod.
- Thanks to Ekmek for the Maria Theresa leaderhead graphics.

Very interesting! My congratulations, Andre!

I just finished and downloaded my "1492: Gold Rush" and found your mod on the forum. Unfortunately, I had no time to do it earlier because I was absent practically half of year. I will test your mod in details.

Couple questions:

1. How about a map of bigger size? Now the travel time from South America to Africa on this map size is too fast.
2. Do you test your mod in a very long game and how about time delays (lags) after 300-500 turns?

These questions are very critical for "1492: Global Colonization" mod because to get closed to the reality distribution (resources, civilizations, etc.) I must have Huge size map (as minimum). However, on such size maps the lags (+ bugs) happens after about 300-500 turns.

Very interesting! My congratulations, Andre!

I just finished and downloaded my "1492: Gold Rush" and found your mod on the forum. Unfortunately, I had no time to do it earlier because I was absent practically half of year. I will test your mod in details.

Couple questions:

1. How about a map of bigger size? Now the travel time from South America to Africa on this map size is too fast.
2. Do you test your mod in a very long game and how about time delays (lags) after 300-500 turns?

These questions are very critical for "1492: Global Colonization" mod because to get closed to the reality distribution (resources, civilizations, etc.) I must have Huge size map (as minimum). However, on such size maps the lags (+ bugs) happens after about 300-500 turns.

Thanks, KJ :D

I have tested the mod in a bigger map (the Giant Earth Map) a while after I posted this initial version and it wasn't slow at all, in spite of the many civilizations I added. I don't think I tested for more than 300 turns, though. But, it takes a bit to initialize.

I also tried Rhye's Earth Map, and that was significantly faster than GEM, but it meant Europe not being as well represented.

All in all, I think Rhye's map strikes a nice balance between number of tiles and speed.

Ottaman, China Mughal should be added.They will defend their rights in Asia

Indeed, I had been wanting to add them for some time. Ottomans have already been added, and China will be shortly. For the Mughals, I'm not sure if I add a "Mughal" civilization or an "Indian" one.

I prefer Mughal, because this is what European calling India in the time they first colonize India.
Also
I suggest adding DDenmark, because. it colonalized Greenland and forts in India. I think French East Indies.can be wedded since it fought with England for India .which will make colonalized it more difficult

Bugswhen
Trying to add professional at Europe for European civ
As KJ handsome says,after 300 Turns

CTD occurs after 300turns.always force close.

Some mechanism problem ,European civil can't estiblash mission in native,.
When a european civ was defeated by other european ,its coloby wins immediately .

When a european civ was defeated by other european ,its coloby wins immediately .

I'll try to reproduce that...

Yes, that is a problem. A "solution" would be to deleted the revolution victory, making it possible to win only by score.

I have thought of the probability to make wagon train to carry units, so that units in Europe can get into the map through wagon trains.
I have now made a simple xml file, This is my first time modding, so I do something simple , hope everyone will like it;)

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 58
I have thought of the probability to make wagon train to carry units, so that units in Europe can get into the map through wagon trains.
I have now made a simple xml file, This is my first time modding, so I do something simple , hope everyone will like it;)

I agree that it is necessary to have them carry units. I did make them do that already though (it requires also a few more code changes so that they behave correctly in the Europe screen).

Thanks for the help in any case :)

When will the new version be out:confused:

Top Bottom