Mod Graphical Updates blog

OrsonM

Our man
Introduction

Spoiler :
(using the same blog format as Markus here...)

Hello, my name is Rodrigo Petunio, I'm an illustrator, most would probably know me as OrsonM or as that guy from the thread about copyright issues on Civ V. I'm in charge of illustrating original artwork for Markus's mod. I offered to help modders a few months ago, and here we are.

Originally I wasn't too happy about the current state of artwork on mods, a lot of them use images that do not belong to them, something that I do not agree with myself. I work with all original materials made by me, I feel it's more professional, there's more control to the images in that way and finally I won't get Markus in any sort of legal bind.

I do however use previous artwork as an inspiration or as a reference, but of course never downright copying it and noting when done so.

Earlier work

Spoiler :
Now early enough I got an email from Markus about working on the artwork for the characters in the game, I never got his idea right very well, but he really wanted to have new character screens that would communicate better all the diplomatic factors of the game (I think, not sure). I cooked up quickly a small concept art about Montezuma and just basing myself on the old moods from Civ IV and Civ III, which I think work a bit better in showing moods than the current 3d animations (which are awesome, but can be intrusive at times and a bit hard to read at times)

(sketching at work!)

And so, I showed this to Markus, he saw it, replied to me something around the lines that he had no idea what was that, that it was impossible to make that within the game at this moment. My detective senses told me I may had misunderstood his original instructions (not sure, will check again).

Perhaps one day my raggedy sketch will become an actual thing within the game...

Policies artwork
Spoiler :

One way or another, the character mood thing didn't take (or I just didn't understood it, what was I supposed to do Markus?) and I was asked to this time draw the policies artwork for the game.

Nights of course has 7 policy branches that have less of a cryptic feel than Civ V (I though Freedom and Liberty were synonims, and what exactly is Order to begin with?). The way Nights is set is a bit more clear (they are all forms of goverments).

Now usually these sort of thing would be made by just dusting those old western-oriented symbols and icons (a knight and castle for feudalism, an ss trooper for autocracy, a gigantic cross for theocracy, maybe the Gipper for democracy, etc). And because every other mod out there would have the same thing, I tried to aim for a different approach (afterall, this night time, baby).

So I thought about sort of political effervescence of the turn of the century, when there were numerous political parties, numerous points of views, ideas and theories of how best to run a society. Then I wondered just how did they came up with symbols like the hammer and sickle, the rose, the star, the elephant and whatnot (they must come from somewhere), and thought the best and most global approach for the goverment icons was to come up with new icons for these, almost as if the parties were re-made from scratch (so animals seemed like a good choice there).

So I had a concept, now I needed a good inspiration to start with. I knew the original Civ V had art deco as an inspiration, WPA posters to be exact. But that's not entirely true, half the art work looks very loose and cartoony. I needed a style that felt similar to the original Civ V (for technical and economical reasons) but that had a better feel to it.

The policy screen is just a big homage of the Metropolis poster, I feel it was just a reference that had to be used. I like working using references, I feel it helps clear out a lot of the visual language and to keep the work focused.

and so the sketching procress began.

and then it continued...

And I believe that was the first release I sent Markus with the policies, this time he was very pleased, he wrote me some long emails about ideas to add, things about the mod, etc. Now this is a huge thing, usually developers I've worked with are a bit dismissive or overly critical. Not this man though.

So of course I kept working on it. One of his observations was that it needed to look a bit grittier, a bit wore off. I agreed, so I began to work on it a bit more, I spent several hours working on texturizing the icons so that they integrated better into the background.

And then Markus, had the idea of having on and off versions of the policies. But using the earlier sketch, genius!. But that was an sketch, so I made him a more appropiate off version of it. And hey, seemed to work!

and that would be the policy work so far. The last one having the most Metropolis-like feel.

And that would be the work on the policies. I'm hoping players liked it, at this moment I'm moving towards other graphical aspects of the mod, such as the technology screen and the eras screens, so join me next week, where these will hopefully be done by then!.

Questions, comments, all welcomed.

Update 2 here:

Update 3 here:

I've never seen those two early drafts for the Policy branches - very interesting to see the overall progression and I'm really happy with how things turned out in the end.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Technologies screen and how it'll tie in with the overall theme we settled on. :)

Orson, just a quick question: Have you done any work on the icon graphics yet for buildings/units? I wouldn't mind lending a hand here if you need/want it. I could just whip up draft versions and shoot you PSDs so you can focus on final cuts.

The policies background is so beautiful! Amazing work! Really like it! Hoping to see more of it!

Alrighty, thanks for that, been working on more stuff, things hopefully comming next week!, pending aproval and observations by Markus (btw, sent you an email).

I like to keep the works a one man operation (I do the entire thing, don't even use textures from the internet), still thanks for the offer Sneaks.

Your work on the Policy tree works perfectly with the games aesthetic.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Technologies screen and how it'll tie in with the overall theme we settled on. :)

What? You mean we're getting a new look for the tech tree?

Yeah, working on the eras and technology screens.

Oh, and sent you an email Markus.

Technology screen should be ready to go for next week, logo pending aproval.

btw Markus, sent you a bunch of small emails

Part 2 of the updates...

Logo and welcome screen

Spoiler :
Back again, this time we have the logo for Nights. The process began around the same time I was working on the Policies screen. At the time we were still discussing the look for nights. Markus wanted a gritty and steampunk look to it, and I wasn't too sure what I wanted back then (had a few concepts I was kicking around, incluiding old magician posters and esoterism).

This style, for being too time consuming, did not take.

Another concept to make Civ Nights more of a throwback to Civilization IV or Civilization III, so I picked up my box of Civilization III Complete, which I thought it did sort of have a nice steampunkish feel to it and thought of using it as a reference.

I took a quick stab at it.

It sort of looked the part, I spent a lot of time chipping away the logo to make it look sort of rusty. I sent a copy to Markus, this was relatively early in our work relation, and he replied that he could use it as it was, I wrote him telling him that I wanted to work more on it, see if it would look better.

It sort of looked better, I made it a little bigger as well ('cause) and I just wasnt as convinced as I was at first, it felt dated (which was a bit contradictory). I felt Nights needed to look cooler. Around the time I was drawing the Technology screen, I had began to think a lot of 2001 a Space Odyssey and how simple it was to have just Futura as a font for a simple yet striking logo. Now we do not have money to buy futura (which is like 600 dollars), but we can afford Geo Sans, which is also the font I use for my logo on my website (which is free to use if used for non commercial use, so thanks to the creator of the font which is Manfred Klein, check it out here ).

And Geosans did the work, it really looked the part.

I sent both samples to Markus, and he chosed the second one, 2001 inspired it is then!

...although he did mention I had to polish it up a bit, so I did.

I sent him 3 versions with a few different variations, and now Nights has a welcome screen and logo, I hope players like it.

Technology screen

Spoiler :

And as promised last week, here's the technology screen process and result. But first the process!

After working quite a bit on the Policies screen, I began to work on the technology screen, not really knowing what to aim for. I knew it had to have something to do with light, I knew I wanted to make it orange orange and black: a shining orange light iluminating a dark background. So I came up with this one here:

I was working on the texture, which is a lenghty and somewhat tedious process of rapidly playing around with the colors and placing them in a pattern (similar to pointillism). While working on it the sunlight hit my very dusty computer screen and all these golden specks filled the screen, like a starry background (and that's how I got another concept to work with).

In time the policy screen was complete and the Metropolis theme sort of became the thing for Nights. So I sort of now had to work out that and also the golden specks that I wanted for the illustration. The light had to come from somewhere!, a pyramid I thought right away, since it sort of fitted the esoterism topic well enough, and of course the lights would be iluminating a bunch of buildings.

I continued to work on it, took away the faux lens flare and other effects, worked the texture more, added dust to the buildings and a few more things that sort of looked like the golden specks.

Markus replied:
"I think it might be neat if instead of a pyramid - there was more of a "big bang" sort of effect representing the beginning of time" Awesome idea, working that big bang right there. I added some extra things: the light would be so poweful it would lift dust from the buildings, a few lines would arise from the big bang comming from the top of the structure, galaxies would sort of hint to be forming, not all of the stars bursting would be the same size, some would resemble a bit more to organisms, sort of to give it the feel that it's a burst of everything: the microscopical and the super massive. Several more hours of polishing and the technology screen was there.

Oddly enough, I think one of the first features of Nights (back when it first began, I wasnt around then) was a pyramid-themed technology screen, I could be wrong though.

And that would be the work on the technology screen, there might be a few little fixes here and there by delivering time, but for the time being both me and Markus are pleased with the results. This week I also began to develop the era screens, hopefully that will be around for next week.

Comments, questions, all welcomed.

In general, I really like it. My largest concern is actually how much techs nearer the pyramid seem to blend into the background.

Sounds awesome. Gotta give you high res files still!

Email sent, got some updates on eras.

In general, I really like it. My largest concern is actually how much techs nearer the pyramid seem to blend into the background.

Why thank you. I do hope to change the little technology tags at some point though, tone them down a bit.

A week ago I stated something around the lines that the newer era screen illustrations would be around "hopefully next week". Now that was a week ago, and I will re-state it again, Updates comming in next week!

Eras introduction

Spoiler :
And we are back.

I'm not a big fan of the original era illustrations of the game, I feel there are some amazing illustrations (such as the wonders), but that the Eras just felt a bit uninspired. So I'm here to try to change that a bit, or at least try to do that.

Now the whole concept of Eras is a bit off for a game that features civilizations from all over the world. The concept of eras is very Eurocentric, it sort of goes like this: once we lived in an ideal society (the Classical Era) and then we had a bit of an in between (Medieval Era) to then an astounding rebirth of awesomeness (Renaissance).

It's a bit limiting, this model doesn't apply to every Civilization, I wanted to make a set of illustrations that applied relatively well to each.

I discussed it a bit with Markus, first I sketch out the idea that I had for the era screens, I mentioned that I wanted a composition that applied to all of them and that had a polysemantic quality to them (multiple meanings, that is). I mentioned was that I wanted to use a composition that was very similar to an eye, and that was going to be a centered composition. This was inspired a lot in the Eye from Blade Runner:

which was probably based on 2001 a Space Odyssey

A centered composition can be used really well to give a sense of awe, of scientifical research, of natural process, etc. In this case I tried to take advantage of it as much as I could to give off as many readings as possible to most of the illustrations.

An awesome scene from an otherwise alright movie that also uses a centered composition

Classical Era
Spoiler :
I mentioned that the Illustrations have a narrative, the concepts I had working for the Classical era was that it was going to be gestating, as if it through a microscope, and that it was going to be a composition made with clouds to give this sense of gods and Olympus, etc.

as such

For one reason or another the birds eye view just wasnt cutting it, specially when placed side by side with the other illustrations, so I decided to just scrap the top down view, and make it more of a worm view.

The title was a suggestion by Markus, this one uses the same font as the Mod's logo.

Medieval Era
Spoiler :
For the medieval view I wanted a view that was more fun to see, sort of the generic medieval view of castles and spears, but with hopefully a new take to that.

That's the original sketch.

And that's the finished product, I finished this one in one sitting (go me).

Renaissance
Spoiler :
The renaissance I had a bit of trouble comming up with an idea, I did not wanted to draw Leonardo, or Condotieri, or anything that's been done to the death. I sort of took it more along the lines of an expansion of consciousness.

The original sketch felt a bit uninspired, and the Renaissance certainly took me more time than any other illustration to complete, probably because of the little squares, which were a pain to draw.

I hate you squares

Industrial Era
Spoiler :
The Industrial era was a really fun one to think about, this one is based a lot of in the HAL 9000 composition, it's a bit of a homage in the first sketch.

But later on as the drawing progressed, the illustration certainly took on it's own personality: the little workers, the machinery, the smoke, etc.

Modern Era
Spoiler :
And finnally the modern era, which actually mimics the composition of the first Era. I tried to make the flying machines to look like a group of fishes (how do you call a group of fishes anyways?)

The rest of the Illustration was relatively simple, this took less time than the others (I think this one was like 5 hours). The illustrations were really fun to make, just a bit time consuming.

And that would be the work on the Era screens. For the next... let's say next month, I'll come back hopefully with Icons for the game.

Comments, questions, all welcomed.

Looks amazing. :) Think I still like the Modern Era image the best out of all of them, (but they are all great)! And I always enjoy seeing the initial sketches compared to the final images - really interesting to see the progress and development.

These will be in v10.6 in a week. :D

Well, the era pictures are very nice! good work..

But for me (!), the Colours are not really fit to the time.

More like in this direction:
(Quick-made examples)

Classic (gray/white)
Spoiler :

Renaissance (more red)
Spoiler :

Industrial
Spoiler :

As i said, this is only my personal feeling :)

Anyway, keep going with your work as you like it! greetz

Top Bottom